4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Overhaul a window lift motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 06:47 PM

Overhaul a window lift motor

has anyone done this? i have a left rear window motor left over from a door change, but i need a right rear one. if you take off the can-looking top of the assembly, there is a rubber sprocket inside of a plastic sprocket. the rubber in the motor i need replaced is melted/burned/broken. the center is a little metal piece with the square metal that fits in the regulator gear on the other side. what needs to be done is swap the sprockets but i don't know how to get it out. don't want to spend $80. Thanks.

First post of my own.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:59 PM

Are you sure the motor wont fit on the other coil? I replaced my front/drivers window motor with my rear/drivers motor since both were broken in different ways. There are 3 screws holding the motor to the cable coil.

You could try using some commercial grade silicone to bond the rubber gear back together inside the housing.. thats what I did to my burned up one, although I'm not sure if it will last. You can buy the whole motor/regulator/window bracket on ebay for ~$50.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:02 PM

the motor won't fit on the other regulator. i thought that too until..... I feel ya on Ebay, but that takes too long. I guess i can try that silicone, see if it'll hold for a while like you did. Probably go to the junkyard Monday to get one. Funny thing is that i went there today to get the left rear door. $145 for the door w/o glass but regulator and harness. Great deal. Anyway, I get the door on, then the other window starts acting funny. Sometimes I think my max is just a money pit. I just can't let go, lol. Thanks for the input, triggz.