4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

front end thumping????

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

front end thumping????

Ok so I have this weird thumping noise coming from my front pass side...it started after I installed my ksports. It is really loud when the veh is just coasting...sounds like it is going along with the rotation of the wheels. it will stop or decrease if I go to 1/2 throttle or more. I was thinking axel but it looks alright to me...I am also getting a weird squeel along with it....

any ideas?
Old 08-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Wants a real car

My car Is currently doing the exact same things. as well as creaks and squeals when I stop, start, or go over speed bumps. Ive been told that it can be either. the wheel itself. (but most likely not. just rotate your wheels to prove that wrong)

your CV's, which also werent the case for me.

or the bearings. That is mostly likely the number 1 problem.

as for the creaking and squealing. that can also be the bearing.but check the bushings as well
Old 08-13-2007, 12:30 PM

I know its not the bearings...they have been bad for a long time but they dont start until the car has been driven for about 30 mins....CV never accured to me till now.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:46 PM

Check Ball joints??? Transverse link?
Old 08-13-2007, 03:00 PM
Wants a real car

to check the ball joints jack a wheel up and while its suspended , wiggle it back and forth. ball joints usually affect steering and handling though, rather than a consant thumping
Old 08-14-2007, 12:16 PM

still wondering what the heck is wrong....I am pointing more towards axel...
Old 08-14-2007, 12:35 PM

hey i believe its your axle...seen this issue before so i would definetly pull it and either replace it or reinstall it just to make sure...could popped out while doing your suspension
Old 08-14-2007, 12:48 PM

I say go with bearing first since it's cheapest to replace. If problem persists move on to the axles
Old 08-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

outer tie-rod ends

You've changed the dynamics of the suspension, and any weak part will now show it's true weaknesses.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:05 PM

well mine does that whenever i slightly turn to the left or right.
i can feel the thump through my pedals. happened after my rims were put on.

and my ksport still hasn't come in after a week
Old 08-14-2007, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by g4nismo
well mine does that whenever i slightly turn to the left or right.
i can feel the thump through my pedals. happened after my rims were put on.

and my ksport still hasn't come in after a week
just wait it took about 2 weeks for mine to get to me......

Axel being popped out is still my 1 opinion b/c the CO are set at the same level that my sprint and AGX setup was at....
Old 08-14-2007, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by mazzivart
just wait it took about 2 weeks for mine to get to me......

Axel being popped out is still my 1 opinion b/c the CO are set at the same level that my sprint and AGX setup was at....

alright. did you recently install yours? did you have any troubles during the install?

i read like 10 pages of the ksport thread so i'm hoping installation will go smoothly.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:53 PM

Does the thump come when you turn (lft or rt), go straight, apply brakes, accelerate? Does it change or go away with any of the above? Does the tone of the noise change if you weave side to side( or take a curve )?
Old 08-16-2007, 07:51 AM

what about strut bushing? do those new struts have em?
Old 08-16-2007, 11:36 AM

The thumping has gone away....weird.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:20 PM

Who installed the ksports?

Someone installed my Teins upside down (just the front two) - either the PO or whatever shop he took it to.

They would sound like a bad wheel bearing or rubber on rubber squeaking, and the sound would go away when i would accelerate or brake.
It went away for a day or two, then came back, so my friend and i had to flip them.
Just something to check
Old 08-16-2007, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by wiggafly808
Who installed the ksports?

Someone installed my Teins upside down (just the front two) - either the PO or whatever shop he took it to.

They would sound like a bad wheel bearing or rubber on rubber squeaking, and the sound would go away when i would accelerate or brake.
It went away for a day or two, then came back, so my friend and i had to flip them.
Just something to check
I did the ksports myself....not that hard just a couple bolts....
Old 10-22-2007, 06:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mazzivart
Ok so I have this weird thumping noise coming from my front pass side...it started after I installed my ksports. It is really loud when the veh is just coasting...sounds like it is going along with the rotation of the wheels. it will stop or decrease if I go to 1/2 throttle or more. I was thinking axel but it looks alright to me...I am also getting a weird squeel along with it....

any ideas?

I am having the same problem. What ended up being the cause of this noise? Surely it didnt just completely stop and never start again did it?

I assumed my noise must be the CV joints so i went and got both new half shafts and planned on replacing them. Pulled the left one first only to find it in very good condition... but the wheel bearing is jacked i think and I have needed new struts for a while so i think i will take the shafts back and get the front struts and wheel hub and bearing. Just wondered what your problem ended up being.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by SLASH
I am having the same problem. What ended up being the cause of this noise? Surely it didnt just completely stop and never start again did it?

I assumed my noise must be the CV joints so i went and got both new half shafts and planned on replacing them. Pulled the left one first only to find it in very good condition... but the wheel bearing is jacked i think and I have needed new struts for a while so i think i will take the shafts back and get the front struts and wheel hub and bearing. Just wondered what your problem ended up being.
make sure you lug nuts are on very tight...my wheel was loose which was the cause of the thumping...
Old 10-22-2007, 06:10 PM

I got the thumpin problem from my driver side. I have a broken top mount on my strut though. The noise gets faster as I give it gas. I took the wheel of and looked around, I'm no mechanic but I didn't see anything out of order. Should I try my wheel brearings along with changin my top mounts? Also where can I get a top mount from I hear you can only get them from the dealer, the plate and rubber cusion piece.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well my lug nuts were tight but when i went to pull the left shaft the wheel bearing lug nut was loose although i am the one that tightened and secured the cotter pin the last time it was touched and specifically remember tightening it. The bearing is fried... and the hub is too most likely. Seems the shaft splines slid out of the bearing enough to have trashed it. This is going to be expensive ... lol.