4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

want to get new rims, but think its gonna need more than that...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 12:18 PM
wants an I35

want to get new rims, but think its gonna need more than that...

as you can see below, i have an all-stock 96 GLE. one of my first orders of business, after maintenance issues of course, is to get rims. on top of the fact that they are stained, i also hate the honeycomb factory style. so im thinking about spending around $400 on some nice basic black/gun metal rims. the more i think about it though, the more i think that once i get these rims, its gonna look stupid without low-profile tires. and then, once i get those, im going to have to lower my car (and i really dont want that cuz the ride would be so rough). so basically, because i want rims, im gonna end up spending like $1500-$1700 to get the whole setup.

or do i ??

have any of you got nice rims on your otherwise stock wheels/suspension that look ok?
some pictures and ideas about pricing would be good.
thanks in advance
Old 09-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Former Vendor

honestly, anything besides stock looks bad with no drop imo. there are some options as far as springs that ride well. but yes, you are going to spend more than you think.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:24 PM

Then you need a set of these puppies. My car is all stock too.
Lets see, i paid $250 (CAN) for the rims and the tires to look stock, but better.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:25 PM
wants an I35

yea thats more or less what i was looking for, but in black.
how much did those run you andre?
Old 09-03-2007, 12:28 PM

It will look retarded with large wheels stock or otherwise, i would suggest getting SE wheels like above ^^^ or something similar in the 16 range like 300zx TT wheels...

Just lower your car man, the rouchness is a small trade off for awesome handling and most importantly a safer ride Think about it, that 11 year old suspension is not going to give you the handling you need to avoid a collision...
Old 09-03-2007, 12:29 PM

(price was at the top of the post on top of the picture)

$250 (CAN) with tires and everything balanced, all i did was install them, this was a local deal i found on craigslist, im sure you can find a set of these near you

BTW they can be painted, as some members have successfully done so here.

-------------

The suspension is fine, if its not broken then it will do the job of being a street car (not a racer). but if you blow a strut or something and you have to fix it, might as well put some good after market parts in there

Oh and the 300ax tt rims are wider but also a lot heavier then the SE wheels
Old 09-03-2007, 12:34 PM
wants an I35

the thing that makes the lowering so unappealing is the fact that there are about 6 railroad tracks all within a couple of miles of me, and they all intersect with main roads. so at least twice i day im driving over 3 inch bumps. i had a 97 accord for about 2 weeks with lowered susp. and lowpro tires and it was ugly hitting these things.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I purchased 350z stock rims for $350 with almost brand new tires.

Its dropped as well. Im switching drop springs, so ill have some Tein H-techs for sale soon if youre interested in those. Ill be selling for under $200 for sure.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:04 PM

I bought g35 rims and tires (86% thread) for $300 off of craigslist.
Used a little elbow grease and now I have better rims. Still need to lower my car but it looks alright.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:50 PM

get some suspension and slow down at train tracks. then save up for some wheels.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:54 PM

i think wheels are first not suspension, imagine him lowered with honey combs and imagine he now needs another few months to save up for wheels

not a pretty sight for a few months
Old 09-03-2007, 03:08 PM
i has college

Actually, suspension should come first. I drove around on 18" Muranos on stock suspension for half a year before my drop. THAT was not a pretty sight:

Old 09-03-2007, 03:13 PM

i duno, for me that doesnt look too bad.

so he'll look like a jeep for a while so what, i rather not have those wheels though.

BTW back home in my country the cool thing to do is to actually raise the suspension, not lower it, thats probly because the roads are so crap.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:23 PM

eibach prokit

before

after
Old 09-03-2007, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by EnervinE
Actually, suspension should come first. I drove around on 18" Muranos on stock suspension for half a year before my drop. THAT was not a pretty sight:
+1 Suspension first.. my opinion anyway.

This is what my max looked like on steelies and hubs with a 1.6 and 1.2 in drop.

Ill get pics up soon with the 350z rims.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:39 PM

People seem to have the mentality that suspension is only for looks, you have to understand that 4th gens have HORRID handling from the factory, down right dangerous IMO, I once had to avoid an accident from some retard who doesn't know how to yield to traffic, needless to say with any normal skilled driver the car would have ended up on the sidewalk at the very least...

I started with a RWD car, so luckily I was able to react quickly enough

For those who have not owned upgraded suspension on your 4th gen, you have no room to talk
Old 09-03-2007, 03:42 PM

i duno my max corners like its on rails all stock.

maybe its a preference thing, i drive normally with those rare outbursts of power, and the stock suspension takes it rather well. i would say this is the best handling car ive driven so far all stock

+ if you are talking about street racing stuff well i dont condone that and hence i dont drive like that
Old 09-03-2007, 04:09 PM
i has college

Originally Posted by andrei3333
No it doesn't. I thought my car handled decently until I got my suspension...I don't know how I could ever drive stock suspension again. And mine's not extremely performance-based either...

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not bashing on your car at all. But aftermarket suspension is BY FAR the best modification I've done to my car. period.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:34 PM

Totally agree. I have my car all stock, just on Ksports. Steelies FTW! Im dropped about 2", maybe a bit more.

Fadrvr, can you measure your ground to fender in front and rear?

Oh, and stock suspension...yuck! Ksports have a totally different feel you have to get used to, but its WELL worth it. Anything aftermarket it.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:52 PM

Before:

After:

Old 09-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Boosted Panda

i would say this is the best handling car ive driven so far all stock

WHAT?

10cha
Old 09-03-2007, 08:28 PM
wants an I35

yo WHITEA32, those are exactly what i wanted, except grey or black.
are those stock SE rims? what are those?
Old 09-03-2007, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by ROCKART
yo WHITEA32, those are exactly what i wanted, except grey or black.
are those stock SE rims? what are those?
They are off a 2000 SE
Old 09-03-2007, 08:43 PM

i would say this is the best handling car ive driven so far all stock
Oh really ? May I ask you what kind of stock cars you've driven so far?

To Rockart: Like others said, do the suspension first with good shocks and springs like Tokico, Koni, Eibach etc. since susp is 10+ years old and shocks are probably worn out. This is coming out of a person who lowered his car few weeks ago. Stock maxima has horrible handling, so the suspension was the best thing I've done to my car. I've lowered with Koni/Eibachs and the ride is little stiffer but it sometimes much more comfortable on harsh and bumpy roads. Now only thing that is limiting me is the grip of 215/60/15 A/S yokohamas.
Good aftermarket suspension will improve steering feel and puts smile on your face everytime you move the steering wheel. Good set of wheels and tires without suspension upgrade or drop can make you lets say depressed everytime you see your car (lol).
Hope it helps
Old 09-03-2007, 09:40 PM
wants an I35

im guessing suspension is not something i can do myself.
in that case, how much is a kit and the labor gonna cost.

ive made my decision as far as wheels go:
im gonna get new tires (the ones on there are cracking) and rims at the same time, NOT LO PRO, just maybe 1 inch bigger.
any suggestions for black rims/tires combo? or anything else you think would look slick on my car (pic at top) and how much am i looking to spend ballpark.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:46 PM
wants an I35

i just saw these on craigslist. 03 maxima SE rims WITH tires for 550$. will this fit my car? would i have to do anything to accomodate them?

http://westpalmbeach.craigslist.org/pts/411616204.html

any comments? suggestions?

this guys says hes a member of maxima.org
Old 09-04-2007, 01:19 AM

Bolt pattern will fit.

You shouldnt need to do anything. (But im not certain.. go and test fit a front and a back). I would actually suggest doing your suspension work first. What if you drop your car after you buy rims, and your rims rub? If you drop it first, you can see if the rims will rub. It would be easier to buy different rims than to re-do your suspension.

Also - its not all that big of a job.
When i was 16, me and one other friend did my friends 83 rx-7 (springs and struts), my friends 96 integra (springs) and my own 97 maxi (springs).
I'm not all that great with cars either. Most of it is pretty simple, you just need tools, some patience, and a friend or two.

Like i said earlier, ill be changing my springs. Ill see if i can do a write-up. I might even do it tomorrow, depending on when my struts come.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:58 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by wiggafly808
Bolt pattern will fit.

You shouldnt need to do anything. (But im not certain.. go and test fit a front and a back). I would actually suggest doing your suspension work first. What if you drop your car after you buy rims, and your rims rub? If you drop it first, you can see if the rims will rub. It would be easier to buy different rims than to re-do your suspension.

Also - its not all that big of a job.
When i was 16, me and one other friend did my friends 83 rx-7 (springs and struts), my friends 96 integra (springs) and my own 97 maxi (springs).
I'm not all that great with cars either. Most of it is pretty simple, you just need tools, some patience, and a friend or two.

Like i said earlier, ill be changing my springs. Ill see if i can do a write-up. I might even do it tomorrow, depending on when my struts come.

Theres already write ups that have been done, one is in the 4th gen stickies
http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/shocks.html
Old 09-04-2007, 05:52 AM
wants an I35

u think those rims would look good on my car ?
these tires/rims are such a good deal i think immona borrow some cash from my friend and just go get them before someone else does. suspension can come later, if i even do suspension
Old 09-04-2007, 05:53 AM
wants an I35

also, what kinda money am i lookin at for suspension?

not specifics, just a range
Old 09-04-2007, 07:33 AM

maybe its a preference thing, i drive normally with those rare outbursts of power, and the stock suspension takes it rather well. i would say this is the best handling car ive driven so far all stock

+ if you are talking about street racing stuff well i dont condone that and hence i dont drive like that

You obviously havn't driven anything worth driving, my then 13 year old 240sx was MILES ahead of the maxima, you really think that rear beam is going to do much? Oh and of course I don't condone street racing silly My main bullet point is safety, the car reacting fast enough...

Please reread my post, I'll quote the important part for ya....

For those who have not owned upgraded suspension on your 4th gen, you have no room to talk
Old 09-04-2007, 07:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm actually thinkin about sellin my 18's off of my max. You can go to my cardomain page at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/783552. These are enkei lm wheels and I just changed the tires to 235/40/18 so the pics are old, but I will try and get u some newer pics just let me kno if ur interested.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:35 AM

None of you guys understand what i am talking about, its MY preference, its what I like the suspension to be, this maxima is set up how i like it to be set up.

Listing cars and talking about this further will obviously lead to nowhere, what you guys need top understand is that i like my stock suspension the way it is and thats why i said its the best, because i like it. In fact lowering your car will only limit how far it can go. i dont feel like being pounded by my car bouncing off potholes and rocks when i drive. my car floats over stuff like that and i like it because its smooth and relaxing.

I took a road trip a few months ago to North Ontario and drove for about 5 hours on hwy/back roads and the ride was very good, did not make me tired or anyting, so go ahead enjoy the bumps, ill save my money and enjoy my max.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:26 AM

you know what, imma have to agree with Andrei here, if you dont take twisties or drive spiritedly all the time then stock suspension is fine imo. in a city where speed limits rarely exceed 45, whats the point? if it werent for the improved look, then i would honestly say i didnt need it at all where i live. of course that changes with each driver's habits and the roads, but if you really feel you wont need struts/springs (it doesnt hurt to have them) then dont do it.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:33 AM
wants an I35

alright so, now that the suspension debate is resolved, any ideas/pictures/prices on black or grey rims that do NOT require lowpro tires?
Old 09-04-2007, 11:10 AM

Keeping driving with your stock suspension then, you gays failed to see my point, reading comprehension owns you...

Im not talking about speeding and going through turns at a quicker pace, blah blah...Im talking about SAFETY. The 4th gen is DANGEROUS if you try to make quick lane changes or turns to avoid accidents at anything faster than 40 MPH. I have lost the car several times trying to avoid idiotic motorists when I was n stock suspension and tires. Upgraded tires would have helped, but they only go so far when it comes to keeping the car planted on the road...

In fact, perfect example. A few months ago while driving on Interstate 5 coming back home from college, a punctured tire caused a motorist to lose control of his car, causing him to veer onto the other car in the slow lane (only two lanes) and spin out.

Speed limit is 70mph. I was behind innocent car number 2, and BARELY missed the accident. I can't imagine what COULD have happened if I was on stock suspension and tires. Its the best investment I have ever made and has saved my *** several times...

If you still want to argue with me on the safety aspect, then by all means try, I'm done though. Little off topic, this is why I'm leaving car audio to DIY home audio, the maturity level (or lack thereof) as well as the lack comprehension skills (much like here) are overwhelming...

Have a nice day
Old 09-04-2007, 11:23 AM

O REALLY?
so nissan designed a dangerous car, HMMM interesting how all those millions of people who bought them and crashed their maximas cause they are dangerous? guess what whoever owned your car before you did not crash it im sure.

im glad im not driving a camry then cause those suspensions simply make the car levitate, wow imagine making a sharp turn on a camry woah im gona crash.

Listen bud, i dont doubt your accident avoiding skills and good for you, but my maxima turns fine and stops fine, oh and about your line changes at 40 mph ( i had to convert it to the normal KM value cause i simply dont comprehend Miles its just too overwhelming for me) anyways i remember driving last night on the hwy going about 120 - 130 km/h (you can d othe math yourself and change that into miles) on a 5 lane hwy and my line changes seemed to be working out ok, in fact the car was smooth and absorbed all the bumps of the road.

btw do you like speed bumps ?
Old 09-04-2007, 11:43 AM
wants an I35

so i been shootin around the internet all of today lookin at rims i would potentially buy.

i found this one style i am in love with http://www.wheelmax.com/product.asp?ProdId=17557

this may be a stupid question, but can i put regular tires (not lowpro) on these rims?

anyone have experience with these rims?

any suggestions on what tires would go with this?
Old 09-04-2007, 11:52 AM
The Golden One

Just get a set of 17" rims. You don't need 18's or 19's. My bro has 17's on his 2K and his car looks nothing like the 4x4's above. I plan to get 17" TSW Nogaro's with no drop (I live in rural NY and don't want to deal with changing suspensions in the winter).
Old 09-04-2007, 11:57 AM
Maxima Grounding Kit Spec

Technically 17's won't really be low profile on your Max however, if you try to put rubber with sidewalls as thick as your 15's it will lead to some seriously off speedo readings. No to mention potential rubbing but hey at least you will fill out the wheel well without lowering the car.

Quick Reply: want to get new rims, but think its gonna need more than that...