4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Changing the A/C Expansion Valve/Condensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Changing the A/C Expansion Valve/Condensor

Well I tried to change the expansion valve and could NOT get one of the nuts off of the condensor. I will have to replace both since I cracked the condensor.

When I put on the expansion valve, do I need to wrap it with what was on the stock one ?? There was some type of tape on it ??

How much should I expect to pay for an condensor ?? peice inside the car.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:56 PM
PM me for LCA's!

Matty,

Well the condenser should be about $150. Or at least I wouldnt pay more than that new. But that's the part by the radiator...

The part inside the cabin as you describe is the A/C Evap core. Looks like a intercooler from a 300ZX. THose should be $100 for cheap chinese stuff, $150 average and $175 for really nice stuff. Not sure on Dealer prices, cause I dont think it makes sense to go dealer on these parts.

As for the tape stuff. I am not sure. I havent done this repair yet and hopefully wont have to for a long time.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:02 PM

Yea....its the Evaporator that I will have to replace.

Anyone know if I have to wrap the new Expansion Valve with rubber stuff like what was on the from the factory ?? What do I use ??

-matt
Old 09-05-2007, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by matty

Anyone know if I have to wrap the new Expansion Valve with rubber stuff like what was on the from the factory ?? What do I use ??

-matt
What's ^ matty,
I would re-wrap it because it's there to prevent condensation on the exp valv, moisture will cling to it because it's colder and u don't wanna have water dripping near electrical wiring. I don't know if u'll have access, but at a/c supply houses they sell tar like tape that is for this very application.
Also check ur local appliance parts shop or ur local hardware store and ask 4 tar tape.

edit: u could prob re use the existing one if it's not mangled.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:19 PM

-matt
its probley a thick rubber tape right, about the width of electical tape but 4x as thick. and if it is its a good i dea to use it its so your lines dont freeze up on the outside. i had to replace that stuff in a walkin cooler at my bowling alley. damn it was cold
Old 09-05-2007, 08:20 PM

Nah, the tape is garbage. Ill have to get some new stuff.

I have to get some prices on Evaporators tomorrow. Either OEM or from a Parts store. I always like OEM, but I want to recharge my system on Friday.

-matt
Old 09-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Willing to learn

-matt
Matt, the only reason the expansion valve is wrapped up like that is to muffle the noise it makes when operating. Some Nissan cars have it, some don't. Not at all necessary for proper operation, just forget it.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by oldngivout
Matt, the only reason the expansion valve is wrapped up like that is to muffle the noise it makes when operating. Some Nissan cars have it, some don't. Not at all necessary for proper operation, just forget it.
Ok.

I had to take the black box apart and at the openings, the foam stuff wouldnt come all the way off, so I cut it where the box came apart... Hope that wont effect anything...

and then the PAG100 I used in my compresser which EVERYONE sais is wrong and I should have PAG46 in it !! I dont wanna take the compressor off...all local guys and NISSAN sais PAG100 is correct

-matt
Old 09-06-2007, 12:41 AM
No more Maximas...

Nah, the tape is garbage. Ill have to get some new stuff.

I have to get some prices on Evaporators tomorrow. Either OEM or from a Parts store. I always like OEM, but I want to recharge my system on Friday.

-matt
Just don't do like some members here and charge the system yourself after putting it back together, people seem to think that they don't need to evac

Also depending on how long the system's been opened (and maybe just for age) I'd replace the drier.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:00 AM

Matt,

Sorry to hear that the evaporator crapped out on you. My expansion valve doesn't have the tape anymore.

The form tape on the airbox is available as weather strips at Home Depot.

The bottom plug on the compressor will drain the oil from it. Just hand turn the pulley and the oil will come out.