4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

So I got towed...and...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 09:50 PM

So I got towed...and...

I got towed tonight, parked in a lot that had plenty of empty spaces. I pulled in backwards, back in, and turned my wheels, pulled the e-brake. When I got to my car at the towing place, my doors were unlocked and the e-brake was down. Wtf? So they broke into(slim jim, I'm guessing?) my car to release the e-brake? I wonder if its legal...I would doubt it. $76 dollars to get it back. Any ideas on how they towed it? I haven't had any issues with it, so I don't think they screwed anything up.

Also, I was suggested that had I pulled in nose first, they couldn't have towed me because lifting the back of the car, the front wheels would be turned and they couldn't have gotten me out of the parking spot. That make sense?

Lovely night...Oh, and I scared my dad half to death while he had his eyes closed I had to avoid a raccoon at 70mph...
Old 09-08-2007, 09:55 PM

lol, tow truck drivers
Old 09-08-2007, 10:04 PM
wants an I35

in 2002 my car got "towed" from a JAMPACKED street in manhattan. there was probably 6 inches between my car and the two cars in front and back. to this day i have no fcking idea how they got my car outta that spot.
maybe a big magnet? hahaha
Old 09-08-2007, 10:06 PM

Combination of a teleportation machine and hoist crane. Im ready for bed...exhausted
Old 09-08-2007, 10:13 PM

76 dollars is nothing

my girls suv got towed for over 200 dollars and a 200 dollar parking ticket, thats canada for u guys, u got it lucky down there in the US
Old 09-08-2007, 10:20 PM

tow truck drivers will do whateveer they need to get a car lol cause gettin that car means $$$$
Old 09-08-2007, 10:49 PM

What was the charge/reason for the tow? If it was in an empty parking lot there should be no reason to have towed you. Was it private property?
Old 09-09-2007, 12:46 AM

they hook a cable onto the frame on the side thats easiest and slide/pull the car out sideways so they can tow.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:26 AM
SHIFT_VQPower

No lie on jouvert morning we saw about 30 cars get towed on Nostrand Ave in Brooklyn. If theres no space for the truck they slide your car out the parking space spot so they can tow it.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:08 AM

Winching sideways FTW.

Agreed, why was it towed?
Old 09-09-2007, 05:34 AM

I parked in a lot where I wasnt supposed to apparently. It was game day in Gainseville, and a lot of places say no parking, tow away zone. When I got there and when I left, there were atleast a dozen empty spots in the lot(of about 40 spaces), and there were atleast 8-10 other cars that didnt have the apartment decals.

I still am trying to find out if they have the right to break into my car. If it was illegal, they'll hear from me.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:39 AM

Worth asking what the procedure is when towing a locked car.....Let them admit to it.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by wirelessdude04
tow truck drivers will do whateveer they need to get a car lol cause gettin that car means $$$$
thats a most def they will put a chain and pull that ish sideways ive seen them do it b 4
Old 09-09-2007, 11:48 AM

Well as far as towing a car, they can legally break in if necessary. Infact, they can litterally break the windows in if necessary. When your on someone elses property whats yours becomes theres. This is NY atleast because im studying criminal justice here, but i doubt FL is different.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

They can legally unlock the car to get into it to tow it away damage free and to put it into neutral..... they probally used an air bag with wire. Thats how here at AAA we do it....

Also they could have easily got the car out if you parked nose first....They could have used Go jacks, dollies or skids.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:35 PM

ive walked out on a tow truck driver illegally towing my car and he was towing it from the back wheels. I was trying to reason with the guy and he was telling me to shut the **** up etc. My friends and I had enough cash to get him to let me go but it ruined my buddies birthday and I was pretty ****ing pissed off.
The next day his mom called up (arabic connections) and we got our money back from the company and the guy got fired.

my car was automatic back then, and i always wondered how ****ed my tranny would have been if he towed it like that.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by chillin014
ive walked out on a tow truck driver illegally towing my car and he was towing it from the back wheels. I was trying to reason with the guy and he was telling me to shut the **** up etc. My friends and I had enough cash to get him to let me go but it ruined my buddies birthday and I was pretty ****ing pissed off.
The next day his mom called up (arabic connections) and we got our money back from the company and the guy got fired.

my car was automatic back then, and i always wondered how ****ed my tranny would have been if he towed it like that.
If he had gotten into the car and put it into neutral then nothing would be damaged.....
Old 09-09-2007, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by mazzivart
If he had gotten into the car and put it into neutral then nothing would be damaged.....
i got the impression he wasnt planning on doing that. In fact, he lifted the car up when i came running up on him.
I dont remember correctly, but can you even move the shifter from park with no keys in the ignition? i dont think you can.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by chillin014
i got the impression he wasnt planning on doing that. In fact, he lifted the car up when i came running up on him.
I dont remember correctly, but can you even move the shifter from park with no keys in the ignition? i dont think you can.
Good point.....I was thinking manual....He may have put dollies under the front wheels after he lifted the car if you wouldnt have come up.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:25 PM

Good point.....I was thinking manual....He may have put dollies under the front wheels after he lifted the car if you wouldnt have come up.
who knows. either way, it really made me dislike tow truck drivers. the whole thing was a set-up. now i never drive my car and park it in the city anymore when i can help it.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:30 PM

Dont hate the messanger.....tow drivers are just doing a job....the police or nearby business is the ones that called the fac for the tow....Tow drivers doing Tow aways can be put in very precarious positions when the owner shows up before the tow is complete....
Old 09-09-2007, 01:36 PM

Dont hate the messanger.....tow drivers are just doing a job....the police or nearby business is the ones that called the fac for the tow....Tow drivers doing Tow aways can be put in very precarious positions when the owner shows up before the tow is complete....
from this spot, they werent supposed to be towing apparently. there was a real grey area, and when i showed up the guy should have just refrained from towing my car. Instead, he hurried to raise the car up when i was there. I could tell the guy was getting nervous when me and my friends showed up at once but i wasnt being disrespectful or anything. When he kept ignoring me, i started getting really irritated.
Tow me out of a handicapped spot, tow me out of of a firezone, but when your sneaking around at night towing cars parked legit in a parking spot across the street from a crowded restraunt, thats just ****in weak if you ask me.
Like i said, i came up to him and the guy was being a **** about it...so i have no sympathy for him. if thats how you want to make your money, fine...but that doesnt mean I respect it. Especially when someone acts like that...he really had me in a bind there and I was about to snap.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:38 PM

Man, well what bothers me is the situation with other spots, and other cars. As far as I can tell, my tranny is ok.

Wait, would the alarm go off if it was slim jimed?
Old 09-09-2007, 01:42 PM

My husband did towing and I asked him about this situation. I forgot he had access to a truck with the T-bar on the back. In this situation, he would have backed up to the car and open the clamps, as soon as the clamps hit the tires, they would lock onto them. The tow driver then lifts the front of the car and drives off.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:28 AM
Droppin logs

Like andre said $76 is nothing. Last time I got impounded it cost me that just to get a release from the cops, allowing me to pay the tow truck company for my car. The worst part was I was how close to my house when I got pulled over and subsequently towed...
Old 09-10-2007, 08:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i was going to say, that where i live i seen a crowded street with a car getting towed.. Little wheeled supports under the front wheels, the car easily rolled out of the space and right onto the flat bed..
Old 09-10-2007, 08:40 AM

Ive seen a tow truck tow a car while its wheels was turned off the no bull. The just jacked it up from the rear and let the tire roll sideways..
Old 09-10-2007, 11:27 AM
wants an I35

you wanna talk about retarded towing costs?
i paid the city of new york $4000 dollars in tickets and towing fees over a 2 year period.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Seaybl
i was going to say, that where i live i seen a crowded street with a car getting towed.. Little wheeled supports under the front wheels, the car easily rolled out of the space and right onto the flat bed..
Those are called dollies....they are normally used to tow 4WD vehicles with just a wheel lift....they usually need a flatbed...