4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Check out my new SHORT SHIFTER...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2001, 02:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

This is an automatic people... pretty cool huh, i think i am only the second max to have done this.. nice 70$ shifter for 30$ cash.. real billet aluminum and carbon fiber.. I cut the shift stem 2 inches to have it sit nice and low.. hope you all enjoy..
Old 07-23-2001, 03:42 PM
I'm so hood

heh...what's the point of cutting the lever on an automatic? So you can bump from 1 to 2 .0001 seconds quicker?
If you ask me, I'd shake my head if I walked by a maxi, saw a custom shift ****, and then saw it was an automatic.

It is a unique customization, I'll give it that. Just doesn't seem to have much purpose other than to change the look a little bit (in a little bit of a disgraceful way from the eyes of someone that makes their own shifts).
Old 07-23-2001, 04:03 PM

well in my own defense half of the things you do for a car really have no purpose but for asthetics..

rims- nissan's wheels and rims work fine, why 18's.. they look nice..

lowering- besides scraping the sh*t out of your car and having a ride like a truck, it's really only for looks..

ANY engine detailing- looks nice..

body kits- wow these are helpful, unless using a turbo intercooler, none of these have a purpose..

spoiler- let's face it, no one really gains speed with a maxima SE spoiler or a custom wing..

I am not posting things that I modify on my car to be flamed, I am simply showing people things I like and if they like them too they can talk to me about it.. I am not on this board to have my subtle accomplishments shattered by someone who thinks my work is worthless and utterly pathetic..
Old 07-23-2001, 04:25 PM
I'm so hood

Yea, the one thing I can appreciate and respect is the work put into it, regardless of the end result. I think it was inventive that you cut the lever.
When I think of investing in a different shift ****, I'm thinking manual, and I'd personally only invest in one that would help me attain the feel of the shift that I desire. I'm a ball-style fan and not a pistol grip. Also, to me, it depends on where the top of the actual lever ends up as far as depth on the ****. If the top of the lever is on the bottom part of a taller ****, shifts don't feel right.

For the record, I'm 98% anti-body kit, wing, lowering, rims, other such non-OEM aesthetic enhancements.

*shrug*..in a post like this, the convo should always be able to go both ways. You can say its pointless for someone who doesn't like say, a mod, to post, but not any more pointless than if only people who agreed posted "Yea, that's cool."
Old 07-23-2001, 04:28 PM

hold on sadler...

my Eibach Prokit springs *significantly* improved my car's cornering and handling, not just looks.

Also, the little wing on the back is there to improve fuel economy (not by alot) because it reduces the drag induced by air flowing over the trunk and behind the car. It's not for speed or traction (not under 150 mph, anyway), only for lower drag and like you said, looks.
Old 07-23-2001, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by thebigsadler
This is an automatic people... pretty cool huh, i think i am only the second max to have done this.. nice 70$ shifter for 30$ cash.. real billet aluminum and carbon fiber.. I cut the shift stem 2 inches to have it sit nice and low.. hope you all enjoy..
dude, that looks exactly like my shifter, and yes mine is cut, it appears yours is a little lower, but i chromed out the bar so it looks sweet, ill add my pic so you can see, it also appears that you have it on backwards, the top ring is supposed to have the opn part of it facing the armrest, so you can put your thumb on it, check out my pic, and u may want to turn it around,
-Charlie
p.s. i did it three months ago, and i got directions from someone who had done it, so u can be #3 unless there are more out there, looks sweet though
Old 07-23-2001, 05:29 PM

defend the short shifter..!!!!!

ever have a girl try and climb across to the drivers seat where your sitting eagerly? its a bummer when she keeps hitting that huge shifter. I have a 5spd but i used to have an auto , and its a total bummer.. nice job dude
Old 07-23-2001, 05:40 PM

Re: defend the short shifter..!!!!!

Originally posted by MaxSE98
ever have a girl try and climb across to the drivers seat where your sitting eagerly? its a bummer when she keeps hitting that huge shifter. I have a 5spd but i used to have an auto , and its a total bummer.. nice job dude
good point man! but you also dont want her to get to interested in checking out your new shifter install instead of you..
Old 07-23-2001, 06:20 PM

Ummm...

rims- nissan's wheels and rims work fine, why 18's.. they look nice..
Sure, they work fine, but 17's (and 18's) means lower profile tires, and thus, less sidewall, and less of the accompanying flex in the sidewall during hard cornering. Those who know step up in wheel size for better handling.

lowering- besides scraping the sh*t out of your car and having a ride like a truck, it's really only for looks..
Ever rode in a Maxima with Eibach's (like mine)? sorry, it doesn't "ride like a truck", but more like a proper sports sedan should, unlike the stock SE suspension. Higher spring rates are the greatest benefit, and a lowered center of gravity is another. Coupled with struts and front and rear sway bars and strut tower braces, the Maxima corners more like a BMW and less like a Taurus.
Old 07-23-2001, 06:25 PM

Re: Ummm...

you r in la jolla huh? i dont believe i have seen you on here, ever been to symbolic motorsports? now thats a nice place
Old 07-23-2001, 08:10 PM

yea, I live in La Jolla. I don't post terribly often (maybe twice a day on average)
Old 07-23-2001, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by RedMax95

dude, that looks exactly like my shifter, and yes mine is cut, it appears yours is a little lower, but i chromed out the bar so it looks sweet, ill add my pic so you can see, it also appears that you have it on backwards, the top ring is supposed to have the opn part of it facing the armrest, so you can put your thumb on it, check out my pic, and u may want to turn it around,
-Charlie
p.s. i did it three months ago, and i got directions from someone who had done it, so u can be #3 unless there are more out there, looks sweet though

redmax, do you and justmax have the same kinda dash kit? i saw a pic of both but cant tell exactly. help me out....later.
Old 07-23-2001, 09:06 PM

it appears so, the joshua tree medium burlwood, i didnt put the piece on the money holder thing though
Old 07-23-2001, 10:21 PM

I like mine
Old 07-23-2001, 11:07 PM

nope

Mine is the JT walnut burl, I think it's lighter than the medium (fake) burl.

Justin
Old 07-24-2001, 10:09 AM

Re: nope

its nice to see some people are like me and some people arent.. diversity is nice.. and a couple things-

I have my car lowered with the wrong combo of springs and struts, oh I can out corner an Audi A6, but i feel like i need a gunrack on the rear window when i do it.. as far as girls and shifters, if a girl bothered me while i was driving car, like trying to climb into my seat.. thats when she leaves the car.. look no touch.. and i turned the shifter the other way because i chose which way looked the best to me.. eh if it isnt functional i am ok with that..
Old 07-24-2001, 01:23 PM

Re: Re: nope

thats why I always **** in the backseat

its nice to see some people are like me and some people arent.. diversity is nice.. and a couple things-

I have my car lowered with the wrong combo of springs and struts, oh I can out corner an Audi A6, but i feel like i need a gunrack on the rear window when i do it.. as far as girls and shifters, if a girl bothered me while i was driving car, like trying to climb into my seat.. thats when she leaves the car.. look no touch.. and i turned the shifter the other way because i chose which way looked the best to me.. eh if it isnt functional i am ok with that..
Old 07-24-2001, 02:21 PM

Re: Re: nope

ok man do whatever u want, i agree with mr. avery, i like that other pic someone put up there, looks quite familiar, where did u get the boot for it?
Old 07-24-2001, 03:39 PM

chromed out shift bar

-Charlie
RedMax,

How did you chrome out the shift bar? I want to do that to my shifter.
Old 07-24-2001, 04:16 PM

Re: chromed out shift bar

Originally posted by roruiz

RedMax,

How did you chrome out the shift bar? I want to do that to my shifter.
three ways - u could polish it, not too difficult but time consuming, have it powdercoated or painted, or put some chrome tape over it, which is a bizotch to do, i tried it and chnged my mind
Old 07-24-2001, 05:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

RE: thebigsadler ...

That is an awesome carbon-fiber dash you have - look like an O.E.M. fit. I visited your homepage and saw it was made by alka - where can you get them and how much $$$???
Thanks,
Cyrus
Old 07-24-2001, 05:13 PM

Re: Re: chromed out shift bar

three ways - u could polish it, not too difficult but time consuming, have it powdercoated or painted, or put some chrome tape over it, which is a bizotch to do, i tried it and chnged my mind
Isn't covered with plastic or rubber? Mine is brown.
Old 07-24-2001, 05:17 PM

Re: Re: Re: chromed out shift bar

Originally posted by roruiz

Isn't covered with plastic or rubber? Mine is brown.
do u still have the stock **** on? i have a custom **** and under there is a silver-gray rod under that which i chromed
Old 07-24-2001, 05:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: chromed out shift bar

do u still have the stock **** on? i have a custom **** and under there is a silver-gray rod under that which i chromed
yeah I still have the stock ****, but I want to replace it with maybe a 2K Max **** but I want to chrome the rod because I think it will look ugly if I leave it brown.
Old 07-24-2001, 05:31 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: chromed out shift bar

is it an auto or stick? if its an auto then you can cut it short so that it doesnt show much and you wont have to chrome much, if a stick it should have a boot