4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

H&R/Tokico's or Eibach/Tokico's or H&RorEibach/not Tokico's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2001, 06:51 PM

alright guys need the most possible opinions and recommendations at the utmost discretion.

H&R's with Tokico's? or
Eibach with Tokico's? or
No Tokico's at all? (read that tokico's aren't the same 3 months later after their installed is it true?)

Currently as of now I am sold on H&R's (ready to buy at a click of a mouse)But I'm stuck in limbo for the Tokico's? need reasons to buy or not to buy and another recommedations? as to Koni's? or anything else over Tokico's? and anyone know where I can search up Apex Springs I hear that are better for the Max? TIA
Old 07-25-2001, 07:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

RE: Springs & Struts Compatibility...

Tokico are very gentle stuts, so they cannot handle harsher springs as well. H&Rs and Tokicos are very popular because they can handle each other well. Because the H&Rs are softer, the ride will be very similar to stock. Eibachs, on the other hand, are considered to be slightly more rough than the H&Rs. They seem to perform and last better off with KYBs and Konis. Eibachs will not last long with Tokicos because you are putting a strenuous amount of load capacity on a gentle stut. However, although many people have had problems with this combination, others are very happy with it and enjoy the ride. If you are really stuck on the H&Rs, I would reccomend the Konis personally. They are very nice heavy-duty struts that will endure the pressure of harsh shocks such as Eibachs. However, such quality only comes at a price - namely a little under $500. If you do not have this amount of money or simply do not want to spend so much, one can buy the KYB struts for a little over $300. These are very good Japanese-made struts that are well known, however their firmness is not adjustable as the Konis as. I was also very sold on the H&Rs until I leaned of another spring that offers the same ride as Eibach (fairly firm), but with a 2" drop and they were under $150 shipped. The company? Sprint. They are fairly firm yet offer a nice drop. However, these springs are very hard on stuts, hence I would reccomend the Konis or KYBs. Like I said though, if you wan the H&Rs, I would personally reccomend the Konis. Just trying to help .
Old 07-25-2001, 07:26 PM

Re: RE: Springs & Struts Compatibility...

Originally posted by Vyrus
Tokico are very gentle stuts, so they cannot handle harsher springs as well. H&Rs and Tokicos are very popular because they can handle each other well. Because the H&Rs are softer, the ride will be very similar to stock. Eibachs, on the other hand, are considered to be slightly more rough than the H&Rs. They seem to perform and last better off with KYBs and Konis. Eibachs will not last long with Tokicos because you are putting a strenuous amount of load capacity on a gentle stut. However, although many people have had problems with this combination, others are very happy with it and enjoy the ride. If you are really stuck on the H&Rs, I would reccomend the Konis personally. They are very nice heavy-duty struts that will endure the pressure of harsh shocks such as Eibachs. However, such quality only comes at a price - namely a little under $500. If you do not have this amount of money or simply do not want to spend so much, one can buy the KYB struts for a little over $300. These are very good Japanese-made struts that are well known, however their firmness is not adjustable as the Konis as. I was also very sold on the H&Rs until I leaned of another spring that offers the same ride as Eibach (fairly firm), but with a 2" drop and they were under $150 shipped. The company? Sprint. They are fairly firm yet offer a nice drop. However, these springs are very hard on stuts, hence I would reccomend the Konis or KYBs. Like I said though, if you wan the H&Rs, I would personally reccomend the Konis. Just trying to help .
Thanks for the info, on another note i forgot to add that I also intend to get a Rear Sway Bar, I've read that the RSB will kill the Tokico's in the rear alot faster would that happen with any other Struts? and where i can look up some Sprint Springs?
Old 07-25-2001, 07:31 PM

Re: Re: RE: Springs & Struts Compatibility...

Originally posted by Vudoo1313

Thanks for the info, on another note i forgot to add that I also intend to get a Rear Sway Bar, I've read that the RSB will kill the Tokico's in the rear alot faster would that happen with any other Struts? and where i can look up some Sprint Springs?
try alex@southwestautoworks.com
Old 07-25-2001, 07:44 PM

Re: RE: Springs & Struts Compatibility...

it goes something like this (soft to hard):

h&r/tokico
h&r/koni
apex/tokico
apex/koni
eibach/koni
sprint/koni

if you want a soft ride go with h&r/tokico.
if you want all around performance go with the apex/koni ( handling, smaller gap between fender and tire with a lower drop than h&r and eibachs)
if you want more handling go with the eibach/koni (most ppl say it to hard of a ride)

hope this helps you but if you don't go with the h&r's, take it from me get the koni's.

good luck with your new set up.
Old 07-25-2001, 07:48 PM

RE: Sprint Springs...

www.ImpactParts.com - they can get you the Sprint Springs for $141 shipped. That is the best price I have found so I bought it - Nopi.com wanted $178.59 + shipping. Impact Parts does not have any information on the springs, but I recently made a few posts in which I was told the Sprints offered an excellent drop at the maximum ride comfort for the drop. People seem to be very happy with them, and they do cost much less than other comparable makes (they are American made). Also, as far as I'm concerned the RSB should have minimal if any effects on the Tokicos. If they wear out, it is because they car was driven hard or has poorly match springs. Below I have included the link to the Nopi.com Sprint Springs for our Maximas.
http://www.nopionline.com/partdetail...oductID=133365 .
Just trying to help .
Old 07-26-2001, 07:34 AM

Originally posted by 97GLES

h&r/tokico
h&r/koni
apex/tokico
apex/koni
eibach/koni
sprint/koni

if you want all around performance go with the apex/koni ( handling, smaller gap between fender and tire with a lower drop than h&r and eibachs)
if you want more handling go with the eibach/koni (most ppl say it to hard of a ride)

hope this helps you but if you don't go with the h&r's, take it from me get the koni's.

Would you reccomend Sprint Springs with any other besides Koni's?
Old 07-26-2001, 08:47 AM

RE: Springs and Struts...

I would reccomend Sprints and KYB GR-2s, because they will ride well, last long, and not kill your budget. www.ImpactParts.com was quoting me a good deal on the setup, but I didn't want it. It was around $450, and I'm sure if I wanted it they would have given more off. They are good people over there. Just trying to help .
Old 07-26-2001, 08:58 AM

Nice listing. However, it makes me wonder, when you say H&R/tokicos are soft, is that relative to sprint/koni?? In other words, if I add the stock Maxima SE suspenion to your list, would it go here?

Stock SE Springs/Stock SE Struts
h&r/tokico
h&r/koni
apex/tokico
apex/koni
eibach/koni
sprint/koni

DW

Originally posted by 97GLES

h&r/tokico
h&r/koni
apex/tokico
apex/koni
eibach/koni
sprint/koni

Old 07-26-2001, 09:03 AM

Re: RE: Springs and Struts...

I would reccomend Sprints and KYB GR-2s, because they will ride well, last long, and not kill your budget. www.ImpactParts.com was quoting me a good deal on the setup, but I didn't want it. It was around $450, and I'm sure if I wanted it they would have given more off. They are good people over there. Just trying to help .
Vyrus $450 you say?? hmm sounds like a really good thats for the springs & shocks correct? I guess I might have to give them a call
Old 07-26-2001, 09:06 AM

RE: Springs and Struts...

Yeah, it was something around there for BOTH the springs AND struts. Just trying to help .
Old 07-26-2001, 09:15 AM

Re: RE: Springs and Struts...

Yeah, it was something around there for BOTH the springs AND struts. Just trying to help .
hey Vyrus, KYB's are a direct replacement of th stock shocks correct? i wouldn't need to cut the OE ones like the Konis correct? Thanks for all the help looks like its going to be Sprints & KYB's just need to do some more price shopping.
Old 07-26-2001, 06:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: RE: Springs & Struts Compatibility...

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Nice listing. However, it makes me wonder, when you say H&R/tokicos are soft, is that relative to sprint/koni?? In other words, if I add the stock Maxima SE suspenion to your list, would it go here?

Stock SE Springs/Stock SE Struts
h&r/tokico
h&r/koni
apex/tokico
apex/koni
eibach/koni
sprint/koni

DW

yes the list is correct. i only listed the lowering springs.
Old 07-26-2001, 06:56 PM

RE: KYBs...

Yes, KYB GR-2s are direct replacements of the current struts. They are made in Japan and well-known for quality, ride, and affordibility. Oh yeah, and no problem for the help. Everyone needs help with some stuff and I just know my Sprints because I just bought them (duh)! Just trying to help .
Old 08-07-2001, 01:46 PM

Re: RE: KYBs...

I am about to get the Sprints with proabably the KYBs. I am however concerned bc the GR-2 or whatever are factory replacements, and will probably have a near-factory ride. Wont this mean they will wear out quickly and wont handle the extrmely harsh sprints>? Also, tirerack.com has the AGXs for around $400. i thought people were saying they werent coming out for another month or 2??? I just blew a stock strut, so I need to act fast. Id appreciate any advice. Thanks

Yes, KYB GR-2s are direct replacements of the current struts. They are made in Japan and well-known for quality, ride, and affordibility. Oh yeah, and no problem for the help. Everyone needs help with some stuff and I just know my Sprints because I just bought them (duh)! Just trying to help .