4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Max Vs. Eagle Talon?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2001, 05:29 PM

i work with a guy that just bought a used Eagle Talon. He has been raggin on me all day telling me how his car will smoke mine if we raced. I was just wondering if any of you know what the stock times of a talon are? Im not that familiar with Eagle's, but i think his has a stock turbo on it.

The only mods i have on my Maxipad are exhaust (cattman y, random tech cat, greddy catback) and a PlaceRacing CAI. Should i even wast my time racing him? or will he just kill me? ANy info will help as he wants to race as soon as i get off work tonight. Thanks
Old 07-26-2001, 05:39 PM

DSM WILL Smoke ya it it's done right

My Friends "Stock Turbo DSM" with some MINOR mods was doing 13.3 You tell me, Think ya have a Chance?

Boosted Performance
Look at Dave Morgan (Local to Piscataway) Site

Originally posted by MAXIPADMAN
i work with a guy that just bought a used Eagle Talon. He has been raggin on me all day telling me how his car will smoke mine if we raced. I was just wondering if any of you know what the stock times of a talon are? Im not that familiar with Eagle's, but i think his has a stock turbo on it.

The only mods i have on my Maxipad are exhaust (cattman y, random tech cat, greddy catback) and a PlaceRacing CAI. Should i even wast my time racing him? or will he just kill me? ANy info will help as he wants to race as soon as i get off work tonight. Thanks
Old 07-27-2001, 04:57 AM

Re: DSM WILL Smoke ya if it's done right

This was really me I did notice that my wife was the one logged in to the computer..!

Originally posted by Mrs. MegaMax
My Friends "Stock Turbo DSM" with some MINOR mods was doing 13.3 You tell me, Think ya have a Chance?

Boosted Performance

Old 07-27-2001, 05:16 AM
Langley AFB Sux

If he's NA'd.... naturally aspirated...

youll smoke his ***....

is it the awd version?

turbo/awd.....no
non turbo/fwd....yes
Old 07-27-2001, 06:30 AM

I wouldn't say "smoke" you. This may come down to the better driver. Car for Car, the turbo is quicker and has the AWD advantage. But, without turbo, the NA is only 140 HP. This guy needs time to spool his turbo before he'll become a threat. I say, get a great lauch and you may walk him, or he'll walk you. IF you don't get a great launch, then pray he's a poor driver. He's probably a low 15 sec car and your's is a mid 16 as a stocker. With the bolt-ons, you might be in the mid 15's. So, it will come down to driver more that anything.
Old 07-27-2001, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by Frezny
I wouldn't say "smoke" you. This may come down to the better driver. Car for Car, the turbo is quicker and has the AWD advantage. But, without turbo, the NA is only 140 HP. This guy needs time to spool his turbo before he'll become a threat. I say, get a great lauch and you may walk him, or he'll walk you. IF you don't get a great launch, then pray he's a poor driver. He's probably a low 15 sec car and your's is a mid 16 as a stocker. With the bolt-ons, you might be in the mid 15's. So, it will come down to driver more that anything.
if your car is a 5speed you have a slight chance of beating him if he drives as well as you do. don't bother trying if you have an automatic. your reaction time might make the difference between winning and losing.
Old 07-27-2001, 10:55 AM

The first race I had in my Maxima (stock) was against an Eagle Talon TSi (Turbo Sport Intercooled, awd). He was infront of me at a light that we were both turning left on. The road we turned on was 4 lanes (two to a side), so I had to follow him when we passed a car in the right lane. I kept on in and was pulling on him and by ~90mph I was pulling past his bumper.

Stock these cars aren't that fast, at least none of the ones I've seen or heard about. The awd will help off the line but not when the car is already moving, it will actually hurt it. I think Motor Trend had them at ~15.2@90mph? Something around there. The Eclipse GST was maybe a 15.2 compared to the GSX that is ~15.0, but the trap speed for the GSX was lower, to give you an idea...
Old 07-28-2001, 01:21 AM
Former Sponsor

if you have a manual and the talon is a totally stock turbo... then i'd say if you get a perfect launch you'd be neck and neck... if its not turbo... start in second gear and have a sip of your starbucks mocha... and you'll still be ahead...
and my experiences dont usually go past 80mph cuz i try to be safe out there and not to really race... the max should definitely pull and take over at higher speeds
Old 07-30-2001, 06:09 AM

so, what was the outcome?
Old 07-30-2001, 08:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I know you guys are talking about stock Talons but at Maxus this past weekend, they were fast..........as............hell!
Old 07-30-2001, 08:55 AM
My 4DSC

Re: DSM WILL Smoke ya it it's done right

Originally posted by Mrs. MegaMax

Boosted Performance

hahahahaha...you're not friends w/ that chump are you?!
what a joke that guy is...
Who the hell puts a big sticker on their car that says:
"Runs 12's"...
(especially when you run 13's 90% of the time)
Also, he thinks he's big...
I used to smoke that fool all the time in my civic...
Cocky Bastid!

Old 07-30-2001, 09:52 AM
MaxedOut97SE

If your car is a 5spd and you can drive it to the fullest potential, then you have a chance of beating him. My friend has a TSI AWD 5spd and we were neck and neck until 50 but after that I smoked him, I had 5-7 car lengths on him at 115. And if he rags on you crack on his car. Even if he does beat you, at least the Max has quality and refinement(and a better engine). They don't stop making a car brand if it is a good one. BTW, a war is about to be started, I'm waiting for the DSM guys to come on here and flame us.

Old 07-30-2001, 01:03 PM

I've taken on a Talon AWD and really pulled on him. I was on the highway going 65 and this Talon looked over. My reaction, "Let's Get It On!"

By the time we hit 120, it was a sizeable distance (at least 5 car lengths). In stock form, the FWD Talon Turbos are actually faster to 120 than the AWD because the AWD have an additional 250lbs. But heavily modified AWD are definitely faster because they have the grip to put down all the power.

The fastest DSM I've seen was this guy in TAMSCC, Andy Craft, with a best of 11.4 1/4 with no spray, I think. I heard though that it broke pretty often.
Old 07-30-2001, 01:38 PM

saw an early 90's Eagle Talon on rt 84 in West CT Friday night. My Loaded 99SE Auto, with my 100lb GF, 75 LB Dog, and about 200lb of crap in the trunk got pulled on bad from 75MPH up. He had aftermarket muffler, and I'm betting a bigger turbo. We weren't racing, he just took off hard, and I wanted to see how I faired in catching up. Wasn't going to happen. If it's any means for measurement...
Old 07-30-2001, 02:14 PM

Re: Re: DSM WILL Smoke ya it it's done right

Friends... NO
Do I know him Yea. Is anything ya mention incorrect HELL NO... lol

I know Dave from high school. Don't talk to him much but last time i was at his house he took out a Tape of his 12 Sec run and showed us all... He has done it.!!!

Originally posted by My 4DSC

hahahahaha...you're not friends w/ that chump are you?!
what a joke that guy is...
Who the hell puts a big sticker on their car that says:
"Runs 12's"...
(especially when you run 13's 90% of the time)
Also, he thinks he's big...
I used to smoke that fool all the time in my civic...
Cocky Bastid!
Old 07-30-2001, 02:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if he has not boosted the turbo then you win... but even without any other mods if he ups the turbo then he will win. end of debate
Old 07-30-2001, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by deezo
I know you guys are talking about stock Talons but at Maxus this past weekend, they were fast..........as............hell!
Yo, I TOTALLY agree w/ Deezo. The talons at Maxus were straight killin maxima's. it was really eye opening to see those talons get up like that!