4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

wheel studs

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2000, 01:46 PM

I have a question. last week one of my wheel studs (what the wheel goes onto and you put the lug nuts on) broke from it somehow rusting onto the lug and then fusing together so I had to just over torque it and break it off. I was wondering if anybody knows how to change the wheel studs in the front and in the back. I went to the dealership and bought new studs already and was gonna have them do it but the labor cost was just too outrageous. thanx
Old 10-21-2000, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by I30CeFiRo
I have a question. last week one of my wheel studs (what the wheel goes onto and you put the lug nuts on) broke from it somehow rusting onto the lug and then fusing together so I had to just over torque it and break it off. I was wondering if anybody knows how to change the wheel studs in the front and in the back. I went to the dealership and bought new studs already and was gonna have them do it but the labor cost was just too outrageous. thanx
This repair can be done by the home mechanic. It is covered in Chilton (pages 8-2,3) and Haynes (pages 10-16,17). Ideally, the broken stud is pressed out with a special tool but you can get by with a suitable drift and a big hammer.

You can buy these manuals at any large bookstore or any auto parts store. You may find them on the shelf at your local public library.

The replacement stud and nut are inexpensive, so you will save a lot by doing this job yourself. Good luck!
Old 03-24-2002, 08:00 PM
Sports Button FTW

would these manuals be on the internet? I don't want to buy a whole manual just to check on this and i'm too lazy to go to library...if it can be found on net, it would be much easier for me...who are the author's again? and what's the name of these manuals?
Old 03-24-2002, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by meccanoble
would these manuals be on the internet? I don't want to buy a whole manual just to check on this and i'm too lazy to go to library...if it can be found on net, it would be much easier for me...who are the author's again? and what's the name of these manuals?
for the cost of the manual, around $10, they're definitely worth it if you do any work on the max...I personally like the Haynes manual, gonna look into the FSM, but thats alot of money....way to bring a thread back from the dead...never thought i would see a post from Daniel B. again...
Old 03-25-2002, 12:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

have to agree that manual (Chiltons or Haynes) is worth every penny!

It's a piece of cake to replace wheel studs. I snapped one on the front. I actually did it without the manual. I just looked at the manual to compare my method and Haynes' - Point 4 was the only addition to Haynes' steps.

1. use hammer/drift to knock the old stud out.
2. remove caliper
3. remove rotor
4. Rotate wheel to be replaced to caliper position
5. insert wheel stud
6. Replace rotor
7. replace caliper
8. Find oversize nut as a spacer and tighten lug nut to pull the stud into position.
Old 03-25-2002, 12:51 AM

manual

if you still haven't done it, i can scan the pages for you and email them and you can print them out, if you want to let me know

aol im = antirohdeclan

or my email is thebrad32@hotmail.com