4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Interior third break light hole, how to cover it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2001, 12:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Hello:

I removed my interior third break light yesterday, and headed down to my local Nissan dealer and asked if they carried some thing to cover the hole that is left when you remove the third break light, and the answer was NO! lol

I've seen some GLE's and GXE's that have like a hump where the interior third break light was installed, and I was wondering if any one has the part number for that, or does any one know where I can order it?

Or does any one know how I can find some other way to cover it up?

Any input is welcome, because I hate the way my car looks like this.

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2001, 03:39 PM

Why not just buy the rear shelf liner from the SE model? I'm sure Nissan sells that part. The SE doesn't have the interior third brake light, so on SE's the hole must be covered.
Old 07-29-2001, 03:55 PM

yes

that guy is an idiot.. i was in the same situation but i got it, at first i asked my local dealer if they had a cover and they said no no no, but then i came to the forum and asked around and found out that it is a CHSML hole cover or something like that.. the part number i don't remember but i know there have been previous threads w/ the exact part #... i'll look around when i have time, in the meantime good luck
Old 07-29-2001, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by ionicmax
Hello:

I removed my interior third break light yesterday, and headed down to my local Nissan dealer and asked if they carried some thing to cover the hole that is left when you remove the third break light, and the answer was NO! lol

I've seen some GLE's and GXE's that have like a hump where the interior third break light was installed, and I was wondering if any one has the part number for that, or does any one know where I can order it?

Or does any one know how I can find some other way to cover it up?

Any input is welcome, because I hate the way my car looks like this.

Thanks!
Cover that unsightly hole with a fluffy white stuffed animal, one with glowing red eyes than blink with your turn signals. This will win the admiration of women and respect of men.
Old 07-29-2001, 06:16 PM

I searched around and found this post. I hope this help you.

"The part number for the blank plate to cover the hole is: 999M1-8J004. The description calls it a CHSML HOLE. This part number is for a grey plate if you have the charcoal grey interior. I picked it up at a local dealer for $29. Seems a litlle pricey but I was too lazy to fabricate something on my own."
Old 07-29-2001, 07:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by 95GoldMax

"The part number for the blank plate to cover the hole is: 999M1-8J004. The description calls it a CHSML HOLE. This part number is for a grey plate if you have the charcoal grey interior. I picked it up at a local dealer for $29. Seems a litlle pricey but I was too lazy to fabricate something on my own."
WOW Thanks a million!!! My interior is beige, I'm glad that I'm going to be able to prove him wrong.

Thank you for your time !!!
Old 07-29-2001, 10:16 PM

is the 3rd brake light required by law, if you don't have a spoiler light????
Old 07-29-2001, 11:11 PM

now heres a dumb question- how do I get the light off?? I want to somehow replace the red lense and but clears with red bulbs just like how I cleared out my tails
Old 07-30-2001, 05:14 AM

Originally posted by Nismo
now heres a dumb question- how do I get the light off?? I want to somehow replace the red lense and but clears with red bulbs just like how I cleared out my tails
Look in your owner's manual index for Bulb Replacement. Thumb through that
section until you find the Center High Mounted Stop Lamp. It shows how to
remove the CHMSL for rebulbing. This is also the convenient way to clean
your inside rear window.

On the '99 Maxima, it works this way:
- push the CHMSL toward the rear window as far as it will go.
- lift the leading edge (the edge nearest you).
- slide the CHMSL toward you.

That's all there is to it. Three seconds. No tools, no sweat.
Old 07-30-2001, 05:24 AM

Originally posted by Nismo
The answer to this, and many other Maxima questions, may be found at Steve Cutchen's excellent MaxFAQ page:
http://web2.airmail.net/scutchen/max_faq/

Click on SUBTOPICS below Maintenance.
Click on Removing the CHMSL
Old 07-30-2001, 06:54 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by 95GoldMax

This is exactly the right part for the gray one.....it can be had for about $25 through any of our discount sites or $30 at a local dealer.

Interestingly enough, this applies to 3rd generation Maximas as well as over the weekend I actually saw a tan one on a GXE 92 to 94 Max with a spoiler......

Even more interesting is the following (done through ACTUAL research! :gasp: ):

Descriptions of these numbers are "FABRIC + HOLE" and are available at discount Maxima parts dealers.
999M1-8J001 $13
999M1-8J002 (Light Gray / Sage) $13
999M1-8J003 $13

While these numbers are "CHMSL + HOLE" and are $26 at most discount Maxima parts dealers.

999M1-8J004 (Charcoal) $26

999M1-8J005 (Tan/Biege) $13 from DAVEB @ South Point

999M1-8J006 (what color?)

I wonder if the first 3 numbers are the same cover except they are covered in cloth, while the second set of numbers are in vinyl (I ordered for 999M1-8J004 for my 99 Maxima and it's vinyl)....

Anyone volunteer to be a guinea pig, or deal with talking to a parts person about this? Those first 3 numbers are just Nissan numbers, which means they may or may not apply to the Max, but it would be interesting to see if it's the same thing in cloth or carpet for half the price......
Old 07-30-2001, 09:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks Bill99gxe!!!

I'm going to go to my local Nissan dealer and I'm going to show him the part numbers so he can get more info on the colors and applications!!!

Thanks!!!
Old 07-31-2001, 04:56 AM

Re: Thanks Bill99gxe!!!

I'm going to go to my local Nissan dealer and I'm going to show him the part numbers so he can get more info on the colors and applications!!!

Thanks!!!
Cool, keep us posted through this thread and let us know!
Old 08-14-2001, 09:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Finally got it!

Originally posted by bill99gxe

This is exactly the right part for the gray one.....it can be had for about $25 through any of our discount sites or $30 at a local dealer.

Descriptions of these numbers are "FABRIC + HOLE" and are $13 at discount Maxima parts dealers.
999M1-8J001
999M1-8J002
999M1-8J003

While these numbers are "CHMSL + HOLE" and are $26 at discount Maxima parts dealers.

999M1-8J004 (we know this one is for Charcoal Interiors)
999M1-8J005 (what color?)
999M1-8J006 (what color?)

I wonder if the first 3 numbers are the same cover except they are covered in cloth, while the second set of numbers are in vinyl (I ordered for 999M1-8J004 for my 99 Maxima and it's vinyl)....

Anyone volunteer to be a guinea pig, or deal with talking to a parts person about this? Those first 3 numbers are just Nissan numbers, which means they may or may not apply to the Max, but it would be interesting to see if it's the
same thing in cloth or carpet for half the price......

I went down to my Nissan dealer and showed him the part number you gave me. He was soo surprised that I got him, he even asked me, so I decided to tell him that I had to go and ask some people that know what they are doing, and told him that I asked you guys on the ogr. jaja... he told me that he couldn't know what color they are, but after checking through some catalogs he found that the beige one is number 999M1-8J005, and 999M1-8J002 is for the light gray interiors, he couldn't find out about the other ones.

I'm going to pick the part up on Thursday, and I'll tell you guys how things went.

Thanks again!!
Old 08-15-2001, 07:32 AM

Re: Finally got it!

I went down to my Nissan dealer and showed him the part number you gave me. He was soo surprised that I got him, he even asked me, so I decided to tell him that I had to go and ask some people that know what they are doing, and told him that I asked you guys on the ogr. jaja... he told me that he couldn't know what color they are, but after checking through some catalogs he found that the beige one is number 999M1-8J005, and 999M1-8J002 is for the light gray interiors, he couldn't find out about the other ones.

I'm going to pick the part up on Thursday, and I'll tell you guys how things went.

Thanks again!!
ionicmax,

Thanks for this update.

At least we know now what the 005 and 002 numbers are for what interiors. I'll probably throw this into the maintenance sticky........

BTW, Light Gray really means "Sage" and only came on 97 to 99 Maximas, particularly the "Sage Mist Green" maximas.....

That's a shame he couldn't find anything out about the other ones........I still wonder if they are cloth covered versions for half the price. I have yet to see any Nissan or Infiniti with a cloth covered one to know.......
Old 05-07-2003, 08:31 AM

*bump* to illustrate the consistency of Nissan parts pricing.

If you want the center high mount third brake light cover for a tan car, DAVEB quotes you $13. If it's a charcoal or sage (light gray) interior, it is $26. Hopefully, you have a tan interior.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:29 AM

Can someone post a picture of this cover installed