4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just Put My Y-pipe on

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2001, 04:31 AM

I just put my Warpspeed Performance Y-pipe on last night. There all kids of little nooises that I have never heard. One of the sounds is like a house settling or something. I only hear it when I am Idling and push on the brakes. I think it is just everything breaking in and the flex joint breaking in. On the up side. The performance is awsome! I love it. One of my friends has a 97 Cobra and he has been walking away from me after about 30mph but now we are side by side almost the whole way. He pulls a little at the last second. But that is ok because I have a Place Racing CAI in the mail and nitrous in the garage. Any one else here sounds lke this?
Old 07-31-2001, 07:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Tyson97SE
I just put my Warpspeed Performance Y-pipe on last night. There all kids of little nooises that I have never heard. One of the sounds is like a house settling or something. I only hear it when I am Idling and push on the brakes. I think it is just everything breaking in and the flex joint breaking in. On the up side. The performance is awsome! I love it. One of my friends has a 97 Cobra and he has been walking away from me after about 30mph but now we are side by side almost the whole way. He pulls a little at the last second. But that is ok because I have a Place Racing CAI in the mail and nitrous in the garage. Any one else here sounds lke this?

Hopefully those sounds will stop, but I know mine never did. (Or sprintmax's and a few others)

Good luck. Also, make sure that the bracket around the cat isn't hitting the car. I know on mine I had to bend the bracket cause the Y-pipe was pushing everything over and making the bracket hit the car.
Old 07-31-2001, 08:26 AM

I just got mine on yesterday as well...I will be wrapping the flex section at noon with header wrap to try and muffle the bees. I'll let you know if it works cause if it doesn't I may not keep the pipe. It is considered to be too uncomfortable.
Old 07-31-2001, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by WizzaMax
I just got mine on yesterday as well...I will be wrapping the flex section at noon with header wrap to try and muffle the bees. I'll let you know if it works cause if it doesn't I may not keep the pipe. It is considered to be too uncomfortable.
Are you sure it's bees in the can? I know mine was an actual leak in the flex section. Put your hands around the flex while it's running and have someone rev the engine, check for leaks. Mine was just way to loud to be bees in the can, and I was right.
Old 07-31-2001, 09:57 AM

I do have a bee in a can sound but it is not very load at all and you can only hear it at about 5,000 rpm. But let me know if that header wrap works. I already checked for leakes.
Old 07-31-2001, 12:17 PM

I can't wiat!!

I'm getting a Cattman Y pipe soon enough!! The cattman pipes don't ahve any fitting problems and seem to have less bees in a can noise right?!?!

I can't wait for the fir WOT with the y pipe and intake i have......the only sound that can beat that is "PSHHHHHHHHHT!" but i can't get a BOV...not enough moeny +D