4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

AC Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2001, 05:39 PM

I know this has been discussed many times before but I couldn't find the thread. On a 95 GLE, the air conditioning will be cold and then instantly go hot. Also, if the car has been sitting out in the sun for a while it will not get cold, even at high speeds. At, night though, it will start out cold but eventually get hot again. The freon (SP?) has been checked and fixed but the problem still exists. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 07-31-2001, 05:44 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by hattyhat
I know this has been discussed many times before but I couldn't find the thread. On a 95 GLE, the air conditioning will be cold and then instantly go hot. Also, if the car has been sitting out in the sun for a while it will not get cold, even at high speeds. At, night though, it will start out cold but eventually get hot again. The freon (SP?) has been checked and fixed but the problem still exists. Any ideas? Thanks
Do you have a system ? Cuzz whenever I crank the bass up to about 600-800 watts RMS of pure bass (Bass CD), My AC, Sunroof, and Overdrive function are either delayed, or dont work until my stereo is turned off for at least 5-15 minutes.

But if you dont have any of that, maybe you've got a bad alternator ? My mom's caravan's AC just started messing up like yours, except it always sprays hot air, no matter what setting it is on. It's goin into the shop tommorow and she has to use my car for most of the day. Anyways, I'll let you know what was wrong if you want, or you can do it yourself.

Hope this helps~
Old 07-31-2001, 05:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

as far as the a/c system on the max goes, it doesn't use R-12 (freon), it uses R-134a. if the place said they fixed it with freon, then that's definitely a mistake right there. the only problem i can think of, that's sporadic as you say it is, would be the compressor. now, if you've got voltage problems (alternator that can't keep up with a loud stereo if u have one) then that could cause it to cut out. i would have the compressor checked first. another thing is if you have a very minor leak in your a/c, and it's right to the limit where the system will shut itself down if it's too low, then that could be causing it as well. all in all, have your compressor checked first. then go from there!! good luck!!

Adam
Old 07-31-2001, 06:08 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Well Put...

Originally posted by JDM4LIFE
as far as the a/c system on the max goes, it doesn't use R-12 (freon), it uses R-134a. if the place said they fixed it with freon, then that's definitely a mistake right there. the only problem i can think of, that's sporadic as you say it is, would be the compressor. now, if you've got voltage problems (alternator that can't keep up with a loud stereo if u have one) then that could cause it to cut out. i would have the compressor checked first. another thing is if you have a very minor leak in your a/c, and it's right to the limit where the system will shut itself down if it's too low, then that could be causing it as well. all in all, have your compressor checked first. then go from there!! good luck!!

Adam
He is exactly right. If you DO have the stereo, dont worry, theres not much you can do. Just keep the stereo down and the bass low, and your AC will work fine. All these things the stereo causes are only TEMPORARY, so dont worry.

If you dont have the stereo, Go with Adam's advice.
Old 07-31-2001, 09:09 PM

Thanks...

I have the Bose system so that shouldnt be the problem, and also have had a new compressor put in. I guess it could be a leak. Im having a guy work on it this week so hopefully the problem will be solved. Thanks again for the input.
Old 08-01-2001, 12:44 AM

Leak

The AC guy will quickly find the leak if once exists.

Originally posted by hattyhat
I have the Bose system so that shouldnt be the problem, and also have had a new compressor put in. I guess it could be a leak. Im having a guy work on it this week so hopefully the problem will be solved. Thanks again for the input.