4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Anyone else with transmission problems???

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2001, 10:07 PM

I just wanted to see how many other Maxima owners have had transmission problems. My was really really screwed up. It messed up somewhere around March. It would not go in reverse and I could go about 80 mph without it shifting even once. I took it up to the Nissan shop and they rebuilt it because it was under warranty. Ever since they rebuilt it, it has never ran the same. It has always slipped after then. I have taken it up there about 8 times since. Once or twice they have replaced some things, and said something was wrong with the throttle body and valve body and some other crap. I took it back up there about 2 weeks ago, and they ordered some part and it still has not came in. They say its on back order, and when I talked to the representative in the parts department, he says there was not order placed. So I have no idea whats going, and my transmission is still slipping bad.
Old 07-31-2001, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by 97GreenMax
I just wanted to see how many other Maxima owners have had transmission problems. My was really really screwed up. It messed up somewhere around March. It would not go in reverse and I could go about 80 mph without it shifting even once. I took it up to the Nissan shop and they rebuilt it because it was under warranty. Ever since they rebuilt it, it has never ran the same. It has always slipped after then. I have taken it up there about 8 times since. Once or twice they have replaced some things, and said something was wrong with the throttle body and valve body and some other crap. I took it back up there about 2 weeks ago, and they ordered some part and it still has not came in. They say its on back order, and when I talked to the representative in the parts department, he says there was not order placed. So I have no idea whats going, and my transmission is still slipping bad.
if its under warranty they are supposed to replace tranny not rebuild it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ask them to do complete replacement of tranny. If they refuse, sue them. Thats what my friend did when they refused to replace engine so he sued dealer and won.
Old 08-01-2001, 12:41 AM

Dealer not on your side?

It doesn't sound like the dealer is on your side, especially since it's under warranty.

Originally posted by 97GreenMax
Old 08-01-2001, 01:01 AM

I think I'm going to call them tommorow and see if they will replace it, and if not raise hell. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-01-2001, 05:44 AM

Originally posted by cooler2000
if its under warranty they are supposed to replace tranny not rebuild it!!!!!!!!!!!! ...
The warranty book says this: This warranty covers any repairs needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship of all parts and components of each new Nissan vehicle ...

Note the word repairs. Nissan is obligated to repair the vehicle. If they decide to achieve a repair by replacing a subassembly, they can do that but they are not obligated to do it.
Old 08-01-2001, 05:45 AM

I think

They must get more $$ by rebuilding then by replacing.. They get their war. stuff refunded by Nissan.. How many hours of labor does it take to replace vs rebuild and trouble shoot?
Old 08-01-2001, 05:57 AM

Re: I think

Originally posted by cbr2
They must get more $$ by rebuilding then by replacing.. They get their war. stuff refunded by Nissan.. How many hours of labor does it take to replace vs rebuild and trouble shoot?
Some defects may be corrected by a repair which is less extensive than a rebuild. Nissan's objective is to return the car to normal function at the lowest cost. If a customer comes in with a malfunctioning automatic transmission and the problem is diagnosed as a failed shift solenoid, then Nissan should replace the solenoid. This is done without removing the transmission from the vehicle. The warranty does not obligate Nissan to rebuild or replace the transmission, just to repair it.