4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Installed New Cattman SS Y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2001, 06:28 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

I got my new Cattman SS Y-pipe installed yesterday. I can't really make comparisons to stock, because I've had an older Jet Hot Cattman Y-pipe on for over a year.

The SS one is much quiter than the Jet Hot one. The JH one had an almost BOVish *hiss* when letting off the gas at high RPM's (shifting!). The SS one is totally silent. I don't hear anything from the SS Y at all at WOT, but I think that's mostly because of the CAI.

Fitment was perfect, and there is no banging like has been reported with other y-pipes.

I don't know that I'll see a performance increase, this was mainly for sound and longevity. Although, the car does feel to pull a little better on the top end, while the JH one would lose power a little earlier. I'll know for sure in about a week when I get to the track.
Old 08-01-2001, 09:02 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Hey, I like my BOV sound Mine's really loud when the pipe is cold and I wind up to 4500rpms in 1st and push the clutch in. When I'm hanging out around the Honda boys, I intentionally do this just to watch their reactions. The word on the street is I've got a Stillen blower. Hmmmmm...I wish.

Dave
Old 08-01-2001, 09:19 AM
ejj

Originally posted by Dave B
Hey, I like my BOV sound Mine's really loud when the pipe is cold and I wind up to 4500rpms in 1st and push the clutch in. When I'm hanging out around the Honda boys, I intentionally do this just to watch their reactions. The word on the street is I've got a Stillen blower. Hmmmmm...I wish.

Dave
Yeah, when my brother first heard the old Jet Hot pipe he asked me if I installed a Turbo system...it took me a few minutes to figure out what he was talking about.
Old 08-01-2001, 10:20 AM

Im glad

I'm getting a cattman in the mail and its good to hear you had such ideal results, i hope i'm as lucky!
Old 08-01-2001, 10:26 AM

Its completely silent? I would want a little noise from it so people know its there!
Old 08-01-2001, 10:30 AM
ejj

Originally posted by kaniksu
Its completely silent? I would want a little noise from it so people know its there!
I can't really say...I can't hear it over the sound of my CAI. I am going to the track with theblue tonight...maybe I can do a comparison.
Old 08-01-2001, 11:22 AM

cattman y-pipe

My Cattman is in the mail. I can not wait. I already have the RT cat in my garage. I hope that the increase in power is something that I can feel.
Old 08-01-2001, 01:52 PM
dot dot dot ...

s/c

Yeah, word around here where I live is that I've also got a vortech, but when i pop my hood, everyone is surprised when there nothing there, jus a stillen intake. Mine sounds like it's spooling from about 3800rpms.
Old 08-01-2001, 04:42 PM

everyone thinks i have a blower too
Old 08-01-2001, 05:04 PM

Just had mine installed today as well. Was kind of a harrowing experience. After first telling me via email that I would need to sign a waiver to get the Y-pipe installed, when I got to my Nissan Dealer (who also does performance mods), they balked citing illegality and failure to pass exhaust inspections. I'm thinking "WTF? This is Ohio, not Cali!" I tried to explain that the cat is still there but they seemed like they just wanted nothing to do with it. So off I went home, dejected and depressed, until I saw a Meineke on my way. Stopped in and they said that it would prolly take between 1 to 2 hour and they charge $55/hr labor. Well, 1 1/2 hours rolls by and I'm thinking "Wassup?" I'm thinking those rusted out bolts gave them trouble, but they said removing the bolts was no problem--they instead said that the pipe did not fit well and needed adjustment. I'm thinking "WTF?!! Waddya mean 'adjustment'?" and thoughts of them chopping up my Y come to mind. The dude then explains that one of the flanges was off-tilt and need to be re-welded and hammered to a slightly different angle, and that the forward end needed to be bent up slightly. Was not happy about the flange part but when I inspected it after they got done, it looked oK (there goes that TIG weld on that end though).

Results: The Cattman Y-pipe has very little noise. I have no CAI yet(it is b/o'd) and the difference from stock is *minimal*. I even turned off the tunes to get a clear listen. Performance is definitely felt. To boot, after my Koni/H&R install, I was starting to get a tin can clanging from somewhere...could never pin it down. After seeing the stock Y and how rusted out and broken down it was, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the culprit because there is no more clanging! The Meineke dude also said one of the hanger brackets for rear exhaust was loose -- that might have been the cause too. I guess the stiffer shocks/springs can really loosen things up. Anyways, on the stock Y-pipe, the braid of the flex section was disjointed completely around at one end... In summary, I think the performance is great, it is definitely quiet, and now some other unassociated noises is gone!
Old 08-01-2001, 05:28 PM

MISHMOSH

Was it Tri City Nissan or North Coast nissan? One of them seels performance parts for the Maxima and the Z. I was in North Coast about 3 years ago----guy in there ****ed me off and I never went back!

SHUMAX
Old 08-01-2001, 05:28 PM

Noises!

Originally posted by Mishmosh
Just had mine installed today as well. Was kind of a harrowing experience. After first telling me via email that I would need to sign a waiver to get the Y-pipe installed, when I got to my Nissan Dealer (who also does performance mods), they balked citing illegality and failure to pass exhaust inspections. I'm thinking "WTF? This is Ohio, not Cali!" I tried to explain that the cat is still there but they seemed like they just wanted nothing to do with it. So off I went home, dejected and depressed, until I saw a Meineke on my way. Stopped in and they said that it would prolly take between 1 to 2 hour and they charge $55/hr labor. Well, 1 1/2 hours rolls by and I'm thinking "Wassup?" I'm thinking those rusted out bolts gave them trouble, but they said removing the bolts was no problem--they instead said that the pipe did not fit well and needed adjustment. I'm thinking "WTF?!! Waddya mean 'adjustment'?" and thoughts of them chopping up my Y come to mind. The dude then explains that one of the flanges was off-tilt and need to be re-welded and hammered to a slightly different angle, and that the forward end needed to be bent up slightly. Was not happy about the flange part but when I inspected it after they got done, it looked oK (there goes that TIG weld on that end though).

Results: The Cattman Y-pipe has very little noise. I have no CAI yet(it is b/o'd) and the difference from stock is *minimal*. I even turned off the tunes to get a clear listen. Performance is definitely felt. To boot, after my Koni/H&R install, I was starting to get a tin can clanging from somewhere...could never pin it down. After seeing the stock Y and how rusted out and broken down it was, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the culprit because there is no more clanging! The Meineke dude also said one of the hanger brackets for rear exhaust was loose -- that might have been the cause too. I guess the stiffer shocks/springs can really loosen things up. Anyways, on the stock Y-pipe, the braid of the flex section was disjointed completely around at one end... In summary, I think the performance is great, it is definitely quiet, and now some other unassociated noises is gone!
If you have a cat back set up installed, at times the hanger from the B-pipe is slightly different from the stock set up! The hanger being indifferent causes the B-pipe to hit a cross member which makes noise.
Old 08-01-2001, 05:39 PM

Re: Shumax

Went to North Coast Nissan. www.northcoastnissan.com.
For people who do performance, they seemed like awful wusses when it came to the Y-pipe. Kept telling me "Offroad this" and "Offroad that." I don't think modding the exhaust is illegal in Ohio so long as you can pass E-check (at least here in the northeast). In any case, I'm very disappointed with them--it would have been better if they just emailed me that they couldn't do it. My feeling is that it just wasn't worth their time for the $100 or so.

I do like their parts dept as they do give a discount on most items.
Old 08-01-2001, 05:46 PM

Got mine today

I got my cattman SS y-pipe today. I bought it off a member on the forum. It is suppose to be brand new. It does not have a flex section. Infact the end of the pipe that will connect to the cat. converter will slide in and out. Is this correct? I want to get it install ASAP, but I dont know if the pipe is right. Should I have a flex section?
Old 08-01-2001, 05:54 PM

Re: Got mine today

Originally posted by 98sterlingmist
I got my cattman SS y-pipe today. Infact the end of the pipe that will connect to the cat. converter will slide in and out. Is this correct? I
That is definitely not the pipe that is retailed on Cattman's site. It does have a flex section. Did you get a prototype cattman? Find out before you try to get it installed...preferrably by the seller or an email to Cattman Performance, Inc.
Old 08-01-2001, 06:04 PM

Are there any specific marks on the Cattman y-pipe? Is there anything on the pipe that would tell you that it is a true Cattman pipe?
Old 08-01-2001, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by 98sterlingmist
Are there any specific marks on the Cattman y-pipe? Is there anything on the pipe that would tell you that it is a true Cattman pipe?
Sorry. I forgot what it says on there but there is lettering or numbers. There should definitely be the JetHot logo because even their earlier pipes had the Jet Hot coating.
Old 08-01-2001, 07:51 PM

This is a stainless steel and it does have numbers including the 304 SS markings and its diameters. In just a minute I will post some pics.
Old 08-01-2001, 10:43 PM
Matt_P

Here is what the jethot versions looked like after a little while

check the picture.

Matt P.
Originally posted by Mishmosh

Sorry. I forgot what it says on there but there is lettering or numbers. There should definitely be the JetHot logo because even their earlier pipes had the Jet Hot coating.

Old 08-01-2001, 11:34 PM

My cattman pipe

I loved my Cattman S/S y-pipe until last week. (I put it on in February)

Last week I started hearing a wierd noise coming from under my car, I determined it to be coming from the flex section on my y-pipe. Since then it has gotten A LOT worse....to the point where I almost don't want to drive it. I now have to send it into cattman to get a new flex section...and be out of a car for a good week or so.

BOO TO THAT
Old 08-02-2001, 11:21 AM
ejj

Just an update

Last night I went to the track for the first time since getting the new SS Y-Pipe installed.

In the previous weeks with the hot weather I had been running 15.0 and 15.1, with a 14.9 here and there.

Last night (hotter and more humid!) I was running 14.8's all night...with no problems.

So, I can easily say that I noticed about a .2 second improvement with this y-pipe over the Jet Hot one. Now, this may be because of a small leak between the old Y and the cat, but I'm not sure.