4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

where to get aftermarket disc brakes "cheap?"

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 12:11 PM

where or whom can I go and get aftermarket disc brakes from?

does brembo make for our cars?

thanks
Old 08-02-2001, 12:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Rotors and Pads

The cheapest place to find aftermarket rotors is probably eBay. They've been selling Brembo cross drilled rotors for about $130 front pair and $120 rears the past two days. Pads should cost you about $70 for front and $70 for rears. Stillen's sport rotors and pads retail for about $295 without shipping or tax. I can get them to you for about $260 with shipping and tax. The only problem after that is getting them installed. It'll cost about $80 at a shop to have them installed. But its relatively quick and easy.
-Alan
Old 08-02-2001, 12:35 PM

Cheap Brakes

On my last car I found down at my local AutoZone that when I was repleacing the brakse I could get them for around 17 bucks for the fronts. They also came with a 83 year/999month warranty for nothing. So if your looking for cheap for right now try something like them. Granted this was not on a Maxi but worth a shot none the less.
Old 08-02-2001, 01:01 PM

I guess I can go to autozone and get some cheap ones?! cos my aftermarket ones are developing stress fractures from going to high performance driving schools, besides, I guess since there is a warranty on them, I can always take them back and get new rotors or something if they get chewed up?!
Old 08-02-2001, 01:11 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Does anybody read around here, or is that too much trouble?

Read the 4th gen maintenance sticky. Every conceivable part number you need is in there for brake related items.

Summary:

1) There are no cheap rotors, just garbage ones from places like AutoZone that you will most likely chew up quickly. You get what you pay for.

2) Buy a Haynes repair manual as specified in the sticky for brake work. It ain't rocket science to do it.

3) Advance Auto does sell the Bendix brand rotors if you don't want to order them online.

4) Cross-drilled rotors are a waste of cash, UNLESS you want the look and don't mind prematurely replacing them (most likely around 30k).

5) Bendix and Brembo blank rotors are the best replacements. I'm ignorant of the Raybestos brand of rotors.

6)Please read titles at the top of the forum. They are there for your benefit and to save bandwidth.
Old 08-02-2001, 01:16 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: Cheap Brakes

Originally posted by SuDZ
On my last car I found down at my local AutoZone that when I was repleacing the brakse I could get them for around 17 bucks for the fronts. They also came with a 83 year/999month warranty for nothing. So if your looking for cheap for right now try something like them. Granted this was not on a Maxi but worth a shot none the less.
Well,

My last car (a Ford Taurus) required $60 for new pads and rotors from Advance Auto Parts. I looked about 4 years ago for new rotors for my Max, and never saw any for less than $50 each. If you find some cheaper, let everybody know.

The point?

Japanese car parts are much higher than American car parts.

The warranty is nice, but when you're replacing brakes every 6 to 8 months due to warpage it gets irritating.
Old 08-02-2001, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by tclee
I guess I can go to autozone and get some cheap ones?! cos my aftermarket ones are developing stress fractures from going to high performance driving schools, besides, I guess since there is a warranty on them, I can always take them back and get new rotors or something if they get chewed up?!

Um, I think the $17 was for brake pads, not rotors.

The least expensive rotors you will find are those from Porterfield...Brembo blanks actually. There is a discount on the rotors due to the Maxima.org deal, so I got the front and rears for $60 each ($240 total). Just call the 800 number (website is Racebrakes.com) and ask for Wendy.

As for pads, read the 4th gen maintenance sticky for brake parts info. All the info is there.
Old 08-02-2001, 02:26 PM

try lightningmotorsports.com

you can get powerslots for both the front and back for $244 + shipping.