4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Audiobahn subs

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2001, 07:30 PM

What are your opinions on the Audiobahn Aluminum subs? Yes I know this isnt the right board but I figured I would get more responses here.
Old 08-05-2001, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by DaMaxima
What are your opinions on the Audiobahn Aluminum subs? Yes I know this isnt the right board but I figured I would get more responses here.
I think they are decent for the price but I question their quality. Last summer my friend and I did installs at the same time -- he bought 3 Audiobahn Alums and I bought 2 AW1200s. I think I paid $85 each and he paid about $130 each. Mine were not only louder, (and he had a 1200w amp to my 1000w and AND he had a 300ZX) but he had one blow after about 3 weeks playing "Extraterrestrial" by Outkast at a moderatley loud level.

Ive seen great installs with them but the name "Audiobahn" has become synonomous with the "Russian Roulette" or something -- every so often you get a bad one.

I think as far as affordable aluminum subs go, they are decent.
Old 08-05-2001, 08:49 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Looks wise the Alum12x's are some great looking subs. I looked into them for a long time.

They are a bit overrated. No 12'' Sub is going to be able to run 1000 watts of true continious bass. I would run about 4-600 watts rms out of each of them.

I ended up going with 2 12'' Infinity Perfects. A beautiful subwoofer able to go very deep, and equally as high. Definition is the key. Like Audiobahn's Alum12 the Perfect is made out of aluminum. (White instead of spun-silver)

As far as the company audiobahn...I have the 2200HCX High-Current Amp from them. It's a huge amp, and is made out of chrome/14k gold. It is a very powerful amp, and has performed perfectly for me. Dual Cooling fans keep it from ever getting hot. It's a BIG power hog though, so watch out.

Over-All I think Audiobahn makes some high-quality products, as well as some marginal ones. I, however am very pleased with my amp.

I know I kinda got off-topic, but I'm just tryin to help. My advice is to do some research, dont listen to all the hype, and make a decision based on what you want out of the product.
Old 08-05-2001, 09:21 PM

I have done some research on the subs but have been getting mixed opinions. I have also been giving some thought into the Infinity Perfects also. How have your Perfects performed for u?
Old 08-05-2001, 09:38 PM

I have HEARD that they are good subs, but they do get costly. If I were you I would get some Infinity Kappa Perfect subs. Those are real good, and probably about the same price as some good Audiobahn subs.
Old 08-06-2001, 09:30 AM

Lately I have been debating over both subs. I have heard many great things bout the Perfects and mixed things bout the aluminum subs but people also say perfects arent that loud and I want something that can be haerd well outside of the car.
Old 08-06-2001, 09:47 AM
I'm so hood

Perfects are very nice for the price. If you want to get anywhere higher in quality for a mix of SPL and SQ, you have to spend a good deal more. Dunno about the Audiobahns, but I can't complain about Perfects. Those things move.

No 12'' Sub is going to be able to run 1000 watts of true continious bass.
Heh...I beg to differ. There are high-end subs out there that will eat this amount of power. For instance, a Treo CSX 12" is recommended from the factory to take either 1100W or 1200W rms. I'd know better, but they don't have a website, I just know by looking at the specs at my local audio dealer. Of course, the subs cost $950 a piece or so. There's others out there that will take power like that.

Speaking of Treos, if you can find them in your area (limited availability), I highly suggest looking into the SS line...a little more affordable (my 12" ss DVC was $300). Also in/near that price range are Crystal Comps I believe, and Phase Linear...check out www.ampmanaudio.com for more info on those lines.
Old 08-06-2001, 10:59 AM

Infinity Perfect

I have two 12'' Infinity Perfect 12.1 (2001) Model Subs. Everyone is basically right. They are the most defined subs for their price.

I am currently running a 2 ohm load and I am producing 7-800 watts of pure hard hitting bass. When I put in the bass cd, I cant think straight.

I am gonna take some pics of my setup to show you all. You are worried about everyone hearing you ? HA. They should hear you across the other side of the neighborhood.

Perfects are some very high class subs. Make sure you power them with a clean powerful amp, so they can perform to their fullest.

I am too imbarrassed to turn the bass up all the way, becuase it is so loud, it rattles my trunk like you wouldnt believe. I need tons of dynomat and special tricks to tighten and dampin the frikken rattling.

I have a custom made box, fit to the exact specifications of Infinity. That costs, but is well worth it. They are made out of white aluminum/butyl rubber surrounds, so they are tough and can take a beating.

Remember, you cant power high performance subs by a jensen amp, the subs will only perform as well as the amp lets it.

Email me, I will tell you exactly what I am running.

Anyways I think I made this long enough

Good Luck, and if you end up going with the perfects, they WONT let you down.

-Craig Mack
Old 08-06-2001, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the info man. The perfects are starting to sound better and better. I guess what i heard bout them not being too loud was because maybe they were underpowered.
Old 08-06-2001, 03:15 PM

I have 2 Rockford 12 HE subs pushed with Rockford Punch 360.2. I like it, its pretty loud, and all my friends say that its pretty loud outside too.
Old 08-06-2001, 03:22 PM

You've Got Mail

Thanks for the info man. The perfects are starting to sound better and better. I guess what i heard bout them not being too loud was because maybe they were underpowered.
Check your mailbox.
Old 08-06-2001, 04:55 PM

alright gonna check it now
Old 08-06-2001, 04:57 PM

Whats the wattage on the RF HE subs 97GreenMax?
Old 08-06-2001, 05:00 PM

Thanks for the email craig. Do you have any pics of the setup I would like to see some and was the the total price u paid for both subs?
Old 08-06-2001, 05:02 PM

200 rms...400 max...nothing big...but i really like how it sounds...i had an aftermarket sony mp3 cd player put in, and it hit probably twice as hard since i was running true low outs.
Old 08-06-2001, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the email craig. Do you have any pics of the setup I would like to see some and was the the total price u paid for both subs?
No prob. I don't have pics, but I'll take some very soon. No digital camera so I'd have to get my pic developed, go to kinkos, scan it onto a disk, come home and post it for you.

I payed 319.99 for them both off ebay. MSRP: 349.99 each. I basically got one for free. And their both warrentied by the comany I bought them from for 3 years. I have the sales reciept to prove my ownership.
Old 08-06-2001, 05:50 PM

cool
Old 08-06-2001, 06:07 PM
I'm so hood

Yea, if you're talking about the perfects, you can find some good deals. I think I got my perfect 10" a while ago off www.smilephotovideo.com. It looks like they still sell them - $170 for a 10", $180 for a 12". Not bad prices. I'd recommend making your own box or if you want, shelling out extra to get a good shop to custom-make an enclosure for you. Whatever you do, don't buy one of those jank pre-fabs from just a normal stereo place that's all cheaply put together.
Old 08-06-2001, 07:09 PM

$320 is a really good price for both subs compared to the $185 off thezeb which is the ceapest i have seen. How long ago did u purchase the subs off of ebay? As for the box, after some posts from people off of the audio board im gonna try and make my own.
Old 08-06-2001, 08:42 PM

Did the $320 price tag of the subs include shipping and handleing?
Old 08-06-2001, 09:23 PM

Did the $320 price tag of the subs include shipping and handleing?
The seller I bought it from was "Electronasaurous" <--Proly spelled wrong

Type in "Infinity Perfect Pair" In the ebay search engine and you will proly find the same company sellin em again. I payed a total of 350. (D@mn sales tax, shipping) But if you dont live in florida itll be cheeper.

The guys i bought them from were also very nice and helpful.
And never buy a pre-made box !!!!!!!!!! It'll sound like Sheit. have one built to Infinity's specs. Itll be well worth the money.

Layta~
Old 08-07-2001, 09:01 AM

I was looking last night and found some for sale by the same person for $320 for both. I was planning on building my own box since i have had many people tell me its not too hard to do and would save me some money.
Old 08-07-2001, 09:13 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

I was looking last night and found some for sale by the same person for $320 for both. I was planning on building my own box since i have had many people tell me its not too hard to do and would save me some money.
Yep. I built my own box for my JLs for a total price of about $35. Plus, I know it's built right and won't explode.

I used 3/4" MDF and it has a chamber for each sub. I glued it together and then put 2" screws in every 2". Sealed the inside with non-silicone caulk, some carpet...and presto.

Pics on my homepage.
Old 08-07-2001, 08:05 PM

So was it easy making your own box and how long did it take?
Old 08-07-2001, 09:53 PM
Still kickin'

you guys should give more....

you should give more credit to the audiobahns. i don't know about the aluminum ones, but i have 2 audiobahn AWC12's and a directed 250d amp running at .86 ohms (thats not a typo). i recently went to a sound competition and got 148.6 db on the 2 Audiobahns. i got 1st in the ameteur 500w and under class. i haven't ever heard the infinity's but i bet they can't perform that well. for those of you who are audiophiles my subs are a dvc model with 4ohm vc's. i tested them with my trusty voltometer and found that they were actually running at about 3.6 ohms. so i wired them in parallel so that eachsub was at about 1.7 ohms and then wired them in parallel again which made the load about .86 ohms (not bad huh?). my amp is 1 ohm stanble so this slight drop isn't a factor. so, if you want the audiobahns, don't go for the alumnapro's go for the AWC series, they are by far the most reliable subs i've ever owned. just my $.02
Old 08-07-2001, 10:18 PM

I might look into those some more but right now my mine is set on 2 12" Perfects. I have heard many good things about these subs and have been able to find some good prices on them. I was thinking of getting the MTX 81000D amp to power is that a good choice and also what all comes in normal amp installation kits?
Old 08-07-2001, 10:32 PM
Still kickin'

I might look into those some more but right now my mine is set on 2 12" Perfects. I have heard many good things about these subs and have been able to find some good prices on them. I was thinking of getting the MTX 81000D amp to power is that a good choice and also what all comes in normal amp installation kits?
if you are looking for reliability i recomend a Directed Amp. i don't know what power level you'e looking for so i don't know which model to recomend. as far as amp wiring kits are concerned, unless you have a great sense for electrics, let the pros take care of it. otherwise, there should be a power cable 8-1/0 gauge (about 15 ft of it), a ground cable at least 8 gauge (about 3 ft), rca cords (2 pairs or one pair), an antena wire (its the thing that actually turns on the amp by sending a signal saying your cd player and/or radio is on to the amp,this should b at least 15 ft long too and is about 16 gauge) my best dvice is take it to your local auto sound store and have them install it, that way if they f*ck up, they have to pay out of pocket to fix the problem rather than you shelling ou the money because your ground arcs and sends a sure through the amp. again just my $.02
Old 08-08-2001, 06:15 AM

I agreed with madmax...unless you have a great knowledge of electronics, and wiring, etc...i would let an audio shop do it...unless you have an aftermarket cd player, its quiet easy to do it out of that.
Old 08-08-2001, 06:39 AM

ebay

if you are looking for a deal on perfects, the man to find is Scala1 on ebay. sells them new for 154 per kappa perfect 12.1 im thinking about going with 1 12" sub, and its between this infiniti or a JL 12w3. DVC is nice, so im leaning towards JL. i want to get 1 so i can reclaim some trunk space. goodluck
Old 08-08-2001, 10:03 AM

Yeah I say his deal on perfects on ebay 154.95 + 13.95 for shipping which is a pretty good price. Is it really that hard to wire up a system?
Old 08-09-2001, 01:32 AM
Still kickin'

Yeah I say his deal on perfects on ebay 154.95 + 13.95 for shipping which is a pretty good price. Is it really that hard to wire up a system?
its alot harder than you would think. there are alot of wires, sometimes drilling (power cable from battery to amp) hiding the wires (recomended) plus guaranteed piece of mind that nothing will be f*cked up when you're done. if they screw up they have to fix it not you trying to figure out what the hell is wrong, so leave it to the pros.
and by the way, i got my audiobahns for 99 a piece and the guy around here gave me the box for free, and if you've read the other posts on this page the amp was 190 (got a good deal though) and is a great combination.
Old 08-09-2001, 08:52 PM

Yeah I would like to have it installed by pros but I dont feel like spending $200+ to have a box build and system installed. This dude I work at told me installing a system was pretty easy and he has installed like 3 already. I may get him to help me install it.
Old 08-09-2001, 10:10 PM

It's not hard, just time consuming. I've messed with my system a lot and you just have to be careful with wires. Other than that, it's not too bad.

Yeah I would like to have it installed by pros but I dont feel like spending $200+ to have a box build and system installed. This dude I work at told me installing a system was pretty easy and he has installed like 3 already. I may get him to help me install it.
Old 08-10-2001, 10:36 AM

cool