4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Attn: Daniel B. Martin- Acceleration Issue!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001, 06:05 AM

Alright.... My car is a 95 SE auto with 125K on it. I have had all the regular maintenance performed on it and had the fuel filter changed in the last 5K miles. I also put in a K&N drop-in filter before Maxus, this seemed to give the car a quicker throttle response and helped marginally. So with that ruled out, I had my mechanic run some of the 44K injector cleaner through the fuel system that is recommended by Nissan, and still in first gear it feels real lazy under normal throttle, after that it is fine. IF I hit it full throttle it takes off real fine and does great, however given the cars age I don't want to do this everytime. I have driven in other maxes with alot more miles that mine and they accelerate great. My question to you is should I have the injection service done by Nissan to fully clean out the injectors, the full service clean and flush by the dealer for like $100 or so. I have heard this does wonders for the car.

Secondly, I was contemplating the full tranny flush on the car. FYI... I have owned the car since 74K and had the drain and fill done regularly since then, the fluid is nice and red and clear when you pull the dipstick. I would really like to have the service done but don't want to "shock" the system. To my knowledge this has never been done to the vehicle. I would have both the fuel injection service and the tranny flush done by the nissan dealer. The car just seems a bit lazy under normal throttle like it is trying to go and then is fine.
Thanks In Advance!!
Jason
Old 08-06-2001, 06:45 AM

Originally posted by Cutlr7
Alright.... My car is a 95 SE auto with 125K on it. I have had all the regular maintenance performed on it and had the fuel filter changed in the last 5K miles. I also put in a K&N drop-in filter before Maxus, this seemed to give the car a quicker throttle response and helped marginally. So with that ruled out, I had my mechanic run some of the 44K injector cleaner through the fuel system that is recommended by Nissan, and still in first gear it feels real lazy under normal throttle, after that it is fine. IF I hit it full throttle it takes off real fine and does great, however given the cars age I don't want to do this everytime. I have driven in other maxes with alot more miles that mine and they accelerate great. My question to you is should I have the injection service done by Nissan to fully clean out the injectors, the full service clean and flush by the dealer for like $100 or so. I have heard this does wonders for the car. ...
Thank you for the well-written and detailed report of symptoms and vehicle history.

Your problem falls into the category called "driveability complaint". Unfortunately these problems can be caused by all sorts of things, and are often caused by a combination of minor problems each of which would not even be noticed by itself.

I think this problem is not related to the fuel injectors because ...
- You already cleaned them with BG 44K.
- Sticking injectors would manifest themselves at all speeds, not only part-throttle operation in first gear.
- In general, injector problems affect one or two injectors rather than all. One or two bad injectors gives a rough-running engine and that is not the symptom you report.

Keep in mind that a fuel injector cleaner can dissolve gummy deposits. An injector which has an electrical defect cannot be helped by cleaning.

Do you still have your used factory-type air cleaner filter? If so, reinstall that part on a trial basis.

At 125K, your car is just past time for the 120K service procedure. Was that work done? It includes new spark plugs, and "tired" plugs will affect performance.

Does your engine start readily and idle smoothly? Are there any other symptoms beside sluggishness? Is the first-gear sluggishness noticed with a cold engine, warm engine, or both? When you answer these questions I can respond with some guesses and suggested tests...
Old 08-06-2001, 06:52 AM

... I was contemplating the full tranny flush on the car. FYI... I have owned the car since 74K and had the drain and fill done regularly since then, the fluid is nice and red and clear when you pull the dipstick. I would really like to have the service done but don't want to "shock" the system. To my knowledge this has never been done to the vehicle. I would have both the fuel injection service and the tranny flush done by the nissan dealer. The car just seems a bit lazy under normal throttle like it is trying to go and then is fine. ...
There are several tests you can make with the fluid on the automatic transmission dipstick.

1) Level. It should be up to the full mark. If not, add as required.

2) Color. It should be bright red and translucent. A brown or black color is a sign of fluid degraded by excessive heat, and/or worn friction materials. A minty pink color is a sign of water contamination.

3) Odor. It should have a clean oily smell. A burned odor is a sign of fluid degraded by excessive heat.

4) Feel. Wipe the dipstick with your fingers and then rub your fingers together. It should be smooth and slippery. A "gritty" feeling is a sign of worn friction materials.

Sometimes the service life of a transmission can be extended by changing the fluid. Automatic transmission fluid is loaded with detergents, so new fluid can clean the insides of the transmission. If you decide to do this, find a shop that uses the Magic Sucker Pump which removes -all- of the old fluid. An ordinary drain-and-refill changes only about half of the fluid.

Some transmission defects will cause sluggish acceleration, but I think the solution to your acceleration complaint is more likely to be in the engine than the tranny. A fluid change is useful as preventive maintenance but don't expect it to be the "fix" you are looking for.
Old 08-06-2001, 08:54 AM

The car has had all the plugs changed and stuff at 120K. It just feels like it is a little lazy and it seems to do it at all temp levels. I mean I know the car has a lazy tranny regardless of when it shifts. I just think the injector service will make a difference. I will try to air filter suggestion, it just seems to be a a throttle issue and that is my main concern. I had the throttle body cleaned out when I had the service done. I just believe that the injectors may be a little sticky and could use a good treatment, I have heard that service does alot better than the 44K service.

Please Advise!!

Thanks,
Jason
Old 08-06-2001, 09:09 AM

... I just think the injector service will make a difference. ... I just believe that the injectors may be a little sticky and could use a good treatment, I have heard that service does alot better than the 44K service. ...
You seem to have made up your mind to let the dealer do the $100 fuel injector cleaner service. Go ahead and have that done, and post the results on this thread. If it fixes your problem we will all have learned something. If the problem persists, we can proceed from that point.
Old 08-06-2001, 09:38 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

FYI: You can get the exact same cleaning done at any Penske Auto Center for $50 or $60, depending on region. The dealer uses the same, machine but has more overhead.
Old 08-06-2001, 11:46 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I am smelling a "burning" smell in my '98 Auto SE when the tranny downshifts going up hills. I was going to have the ATF flush done at a local place (dealer charges too much!), but I wanted to get an opinion on it. The tranny fluid is a "new" ATF fluid color...clear and red.

Vehicle specs/history:
'98 SE Auto
Got car at 51,800 miles, car now has 55,700 miles
Recently changed all sparks with OEM NGK plats, gaps set at Chilton's gapping specs.
Has aftermarket B&M tranny cooler installed ~2 months ago; also has JWT POP charger intake and cattman FSTB.
Car performs well, if a little sluggish when hot or from a running start.

My guess is the ppl never took care of ths car. Oil has been changed by me at the appropriate intervals, but I don't think the previous owners did. Also, the rear main seal on the motor was leaking a little bit, so I had it replaced (warrantee).
Old 08-06-2001, 06:14 PM

Uh-oh

Originally posted by Lime
I am smelling a "burning" smell in my '98 Auto SE when the tranny downshifts going up hills. ...
Uh-oh.

Did you make the four dipstick tests, described earlier in this thread? They are Level, Color, Odor, Feel. If you sense the burning odor while actually driving the car your tranny must be pretty far gone.
Old 08-06-2001, 08:52 PM

I wonder if the dealership put in the wrong heat range spark plugs...?