4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Shutter/Vibration Shifting Into Second and Third

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001, 08:24 AM

Hello everyone,
I just purchased a 98 SE 5 speed a few weeks ago and began noticing an intermittent vibration when releasing the clutch shifting into second or third at slower speeds, esp in traffic. The vibration does go away after completely releasing the clutch.
I did read a few previous posts on this topic, but I'm not sure if my problem is the same or if it's common with a manual.
Brought it back to the dealer last week, and he claimed that I was probably shifting too early and they couldn't find anything wrong.
Any insight would help..
Thanks in advance
Old 08-06-2001, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by 98se5spd
Hello everyone,
I just purchased a 98 SE 5 speed a few weeks ago and began noticing an intermittent vibration when releasing the clutch shifting into second or third at slower speeds, esp in traffic. The vibration does go away after completely releasing the clutch.
I did read a few previous posts on this topic, but I'm not sure if my problem is the same or if it's common with a manual.
Brought it back to the dealer last week, and he claimed that I was probably shifting too early and they couldn't find anything wrong.
Any insight would help..
Thanks in advance
The minimum engine speed is 1500 rpm. If you shift such that the engine speed in the new gear is at least 1500 rpm you are not shifting too soon. Your symptom may be clutch chatter.

Chatter is a rapid slip-grab-slip-grab phenomenon. The clutch engagement is "jerky" instead of smooth. Clutch chatter is felt more than heard. It occurs only while the clutch is engaging, and is most noticeable when starting from rest. As soon as your foot is off the clutch pedal the chatter stops.

Clutch chatter may be caused by, or aggravated by,
- oil or dirt on the friction surface (leaking rear main engine oil seal)
- glazed friction surface (excessive heat resulting from abusive driving practices)
- pressure plate diaphragm spring misaligned
- loose or broken engine mounts
Old 08-06-2001, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
The minimum engine speed is 1500 rpm. If you shift such that the engine speed in the new gear is at least 1500 rpm you are not shifting too soon. Your symptom may be clutch chatter.

Chatter is a rapid slip-grab-slip-grab phenomenon. The clutch engagement is "jerky" instead of smooth. Clutch chatter is felt more than heard. It occurs only while the clutch is engaging, and is most noticeable when starting from rest. As soon as your foot is off the clutch pedal the chatter stops.

Clutch chatter may be caused by, or aggravated by,
- oil or dirt on the friction surface (leaking rear main engine oil seal)
- glazed friction surface (excessive heat resulting from abusive driving practices)
- pressure plate diaphragm spring misaligned
- loose or broken engine mounts
Thanks for your response.
I am definately shifting higher than 1500 RPMs when it happens. Seems like I am not alone with this problem. Do you or anyone out there know if Nissan is aware of this or if there is a TSB?
Old 08-06-2001, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by 98se5spd
Thanks for your response.
I am definately shifting higher than 1500 RPMs when it happens. Seems like I am not alone with this problem. Do you or anyone out there know if Nissan is aware of this or if there is a TSB?
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration maintains online databases of recalls and Technical Service Bulletins. Go to http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/proble...tral/Index.cfm

I did this and found no TSBs relating to the clutch.

An earlier post in this thread listed several causes for clutch chatter. The list included abusive driving practices. You bought a used car. Do you know the previous owner(s)? Do you know how they treated the vehicle?
Old 08-06-2001, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration maintains online databases of recalls and Technical Service Bulletins. Go to http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/proble...tral/Index.cfm

I did this and found no TSBs relating to the clutch.

An earlier post in this thread listed several causes for clutch chatter. The list included abusive driving practices. You bought a used car. Do you know the previous owner(s)? Do you know how they treated the vehicle?
Unfortunately I do not know the previous owner. I purchased the car from an extremely reputable dealership here in Rochester with only 28K. The car is clean and looks very well maintained...but looks can be decieving. The dealership is willing to work with me....in fact, I have an appointment to bring the car back on Friday. I am just afraid that if they start messing around with the tranny, I'll start seeing more/different problems.
Old 08-06-2001, 11:11 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Take a close look under the car right at the point where the trans meets the engine. If there is any oil dripping from there you may have a rear main seal leak. That causes clutch chatter as well because your clutch will become wet with oil. With only 28K on the car, you should get it covered under warranty.