4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 02:52 AM

I am installing new rear brakes rotors. I changed my pads not long ago. Too make a long story short, my brakes were squealing, so I took it to the mechanic which never checked the rotor thickness, they only changed the pads. The brakes still squeal. I took it back and told them that the job wasn't good enough and they said I have to change the rotors because they're too thin.
Should I change the pads to new one when getting the rotors installed?
Can I do they job myself? I have the tools and could have changed the pads, but I was sick then. Is it hard?
Thanks.
Old 08-07-2001, 04:42 AM

Originally posted by frougier
... they said I have to change the rotors because they're too thin. ...
What they are saying is "We think the squeal will go away if you have the rotors resurfaced, but there isn't enough material left on your rotors to do this." If your only complaint is noise, consider attacking the noise problem with an anti-squeal compound such as CRC Disk Brake Quiet or Permatex Disk Brake Quiet. If successful, you saved money. If not successful, you can proceed with the rotor replacement.

... Should I change the pads to new one when getting the rotors installed? ...
You may reuse your installed pads with new rotors.

... Can I do they job myself? I have the tools and could have changed the pads, but I was sick then. Is it hard?
If you have the tools and knowledge to do pads, then you can do rotors too.
Old 08-07-2001, 06:36 AM

I would also replace the steel shims. I bought the complete hardware kit from Courtesy along with Nissan factory pads and the squealling went away. I had bad luck with aftermarket pads. I doubt the disc has anything to do with the squealling, probably has to due with the fact that you have no anti-squeal shims or they are in bad condition. Bring the rotors down to your local auto store and have them measured and cut if possible. Don't rely on that mechanic's opinion. Good luck.
Old 08-07-2001, 07:12 AM

As usual, I thank you guys for your prompt response.
Old 08-07-2001, 08:27 AM

Usually squeal is not caused by a warped rotor, but rather, worn or misadjusted mounting hardware for the brake pad. Disc brake quiet may help (as DBM suggested), but make sure all the shims, springs, and retainers have been installed (those come with the OEM hardware kit).

If your disc is warped and too thin to turn, then you need new rotors. It is recommended that you never do new pads/new rotors, but rather, old on new (or vice versa). I did new/new with my Brembo blanks and Porterfield pads and it took a while for them to seat in.