4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Installed G-Gorce ECU today!!! (pain in the b.)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 11:21 PM
Licensed to Spell

Well, after sitting in my garage for 2 weeks (next to the pile of other to-be-installed items) , I decided to actually install the little booger! Oh boy was it anything but easy! I went to maximadriver.com, printed out the seemingly easy instructions, looked 'em over and thought to myself "Oh, how easy, I'll be done before dark" (started at 7p.m.). Ummm, didn't finish untill after 9p.m.! The maximadriver instructions were a good start but not very accurate. Here's an e-mail, in part, that I sent Cheston:

""""
...Oh Chest! You better run the next time I see you boy! Kid, you are in for one tight headlock (face into stinky armpit) followed by a noogy that will cause premature balding beyond your wildest imagination! I'm just teasing you man but what I am refering to is your LAAAAME instruction for swapping ECUs. May I PLEASE re-write that for you?! S&*t, that was a b*&%h. Those damn four screws! Your step number two, in part: "then slide the screwdriver in and ratchet it to loosen the screws out." Understatement City!! It took me about an hour to get those damn 4 little bastards off! Knees on cement, ribs jammed into door sills, neck twisted maximum twist + 10 more degrees, arms in pretzel position. Not fun. And then step number four and five made no sense as it was already covered in step one. Other than that (actually, what's left?), it was great! I'm totally just teasing you man, it was a big help. Thanks so much for having a website where we all can go and learn so much. Your contribution to the Maxima community goes far from unnoticed, I assure you. Have a great day....
""""

Anyway, my point being, e-mail ME if you are going to attempt this and I will give you detailed step-by-step-by-step-by-step instructios and save you some time from my trial and errors.

O.k., o.k., what I'm sure you are all dying to know! How did it feel? First off, I didn't notice anything bad. Car started fine, no check engine light, drivability was fine, etc. As for anything good? I have to be honest and say I didn't feel a big kick in the a%s. I think I did feel a little more oomph at certain r.p.m.s but it's hard to say. My G-Tech pro came last week (tried to get it before I did the ECU swap) but it was missing a part. So as soon as ptuning sends me the needed part, I'll do a bunch of runs with both ECUs and I'll report my actual numbers to you guys. I'll keep you posted. Have a great night!
Old 08-12-2001, 12:01 AM

Thanks for your effort.

Please keep us posted.
Old 08-22-2001, 10:53 AM
Licensed to Spell

Quick update...

... I just want to give you guys a quick update. I STILL have not yet received my missing G-Tech part! I'm so bumbed as I am dying to know actual numbers on the G-Force ECU. Ptuning said it was shipped so it is on the way. Once it comes, I'll do mutiple runs with the stock and G-Force ECU and let you guys know what I get. But so far, absolutely NO problems. Call me crazy but my gas mileage increased and my idle is a smidge smoother. ? Well, I'll get back to you guys...
Old 08-22-2001, 11:05 AM
I'm needing a caw

You think installing an ECU is hard, try replacing a heator core by yourself. Good luck on the ecu though. I hope you get some good gains. Keep us posted.
Old 08-22-2001, 11:11 AM
Administrator

are you going to add it to your sig now? just incase i need to purchase a bigger monitor
Old 08-22-2001, 11:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SprintMax
are you going to add it to your sig now? just incase i need to purchase a bigger monitor

Wow! You have lots of stuff waiting to be installed. I usually install everything right when I get it.
Old 08-22-2001, 11:22 AM

Old 08-22-2001, 12:17 PM
Licensed to Spell

LOL!

Ha-ha. Yup, you will need to upgrade to a 21" and set your resolution to 1600x1024! Yeah, you're right, I do need to move it from the sitting in my garage catagory to the already on my car catagory. Same with the springs and shocks - finally got those installed. :)
Old 08-22-2001, 05:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

What are you a friggin' columnist????
Old 10-06-2001, 08:30 PM
Licensed to Spell

Finally!!!

O.k. guys, I know my original post was in August but I finally got around to testing the G-Force ECU just now. I have real numbers for you. I have to preface this with I am sooooo bummed. Maybe I had too high of expectations but for $400+ I was hoping for more gain. I went to the local business park at 2am with my G-Tech pro and did multiple runs with the G-force ECU and the stock ECU. I kept it in D, so as to not introduce as much error. My manual shifting runs, although having an ~0.25s 1/4 mile advantage over leaving it in D, tend to have greater variation. I also didn't take anything out of the car (spare tire, etc., and I even brought my friend with me (200lbs) but since my goal wasn't to get my best times but rather simply to compare ECUs, it doesn't effect anything. I did 7 runs with each ECU, starting with the G-Force ECU. I dropped the worst run from each and found their averages. I am embarrased to say, the G-Force ECU had, on average, a better 1/4 mile time of 0.08s. Yes there is a zero in front of that 8. I am sooo bummed. Let's see, that works out to be $50 per each one-hundreth seconds drop. Cool, at that rate, if I want to get into the 12s, it will only run me: $10,000+. LOL.
Oh well.
Well, just thought I'd inform you guys... Please don't hesitate if you have ay questions/suggestions/critisism/hints/requests, etc. Have a great day.