4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

please help starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 01:59 PM

Every time i drive to a store or any where and turn off the engine and go in the store and spend 10 min to 3hours then try to start my car it acts like it don't want to starts but starts eventually. I press the gas a bit to get it to start. I don't know whats wrong? Please help!

Thankis Brandon
Old 08-13-2001, 02:28 PM
NeverEnough

more info please

You need to provide more info about your car befroe we can help you, i.e. year, mileage, mods (if any), when it started, when your last tune-up was, etc. Get back with that info and we should have a few ideas. And don't forget, be specific.

Lee

Originally posted by euromaxima
Every time i drive to a store or any where and turn off the engine and go in the store and spend 10 min to 3hours then try to start my car it acts like it don't want to starts but starts eventually. I press the gas a bit to get it to start. I don't know whats wrong? Please help!

Thankis Brandon

Old 08-13-2001, 08:59 PM

engine

i have a 97 maxima mod jwt pop charger last tune up was thursday of last week the 60000 mile tune up.

Thankis Brandon
Old 08-13-2001, 10:47 PM

There is no actual real explaination for this problem, but it is very common for 4th gen Maximas. Basically the theory that cropped up was one I came up with some time ago...the coolant temp sensor believes the engine is still warm, and is improperly telling the ECU to do a "warm start" instead of a "cold start" sequence. It takes more gas to start a cold engine, so that's why you need to step on the gas to start it. It's an odd explaination, but it's the best we've come up with over here on the BBS.

What to do to fix it? You can't. The best thing to do is to turn the key to on, wait two seconds, and then try to start the car. That primes the fuel pump and pressurizes the fuel rail, which seems to help starting.
Old 08-14-2001, 07:42 AM

Maybe nothing is wrong

hankis Brandon
Maybe nothing is wrong.

You did not specify the transmission in your Maxima. In the section STARTING THE ENGINE the Owner's Manual says ... Manual transmission:
In the summer, when restarting the engine within 30 minutes after it has been stopped, keep the acclerator predal fully depressed while starting.
Old 08-14-2001, 08:05 AM

Originally posted by Eric L.
... The best thing to do is to turn the key to on, wait two seconds, and then try to start the car. That primes the fuel pump and pressurizes the fuel rail, which seems to help starting.
The "key on, wait, then crank" sequence is useful to help diagnose a loss of residual pressure. This could be caused by a bad fuel pump check valve, bad fuel pressure regulator, sticking-open injectors, or an external fuel leak. I doubt it will help in your situation, but it is easy enough to try. Please post your findings on this thread.