4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

BOSE Speaker help wanted

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 06:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 97 with the BOSE stereo and I'm pretty sure that I blew the left rear speaker today and I am not sure what to do now. I would like to replace it with the same speaker but I don't know where I would get one. Also I have tried to remove the one that is in there but I can't remove the panel that the grills are attached to.

If anyone can give advice on how to easily remove the speakers and where to buy a new one I would appreciate it.
Old 08-14-2001, 06:30 PM

Easy as pie!!!

Here goes:

Make sure the key is out of the ignition

Take a flat head screw driver, pop the cap in the door cup, and unscrew the screw(philips), now take the philips and underneath the door unscrew the door philips screws under the door cover, then take the flat head screw driver, and place it between the window switch and the door(pop it from front to rear) and it will come right out, then unplug the power cable, now do the same for the door handle(from the front)then just slid it out. Now left the door cover up and it should come up, make sure you watch for the door light plug at the buttom of the door, and disconnect it, its tricky. Then pull the door cover off and your set. Now unscrew the four philips screws from around the speaker and the speaker will fall right out. And disconnect the amp plug(bose stereo equipt), and then just replace with a new speaker.

Just a tip(Bose equipt cars), you can replace the original speakers with similar speakers at the same wattage and power handling. You have to use the factory amp, if you dont plan on switching the headunit.
Old 08-14-2001, 07:06 PM

There are also some instructions on www.maximadriver.com under the How2 section. It's labelled "How to install a basic stereo system.
Old 08-14-2001, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by gtr_rider

Just a tip(Bose equipt cars), you can replace the original speakers with similar speakers at the same wattage and power handling. You have to use the factory amp, if you dont plan on switching the headunit. [/B]
I respectfully disagree. The Bose speakers are of 1 ohm impedence. You will be very hard pressed to find midbass speakers in this fashion. In addition, the bose system is already actively equalized for their speakers. If you drop in any speaker, you'll find the sound to be totally off, if it even play loud enough for you to hear it. Either replace it with a similar one, or replace the entire set altogether.
Old 08-15-2001, 06:46 AM

Originally posted by ericdwong

I respectfully disagree. The Bose speakers are of 1 ohm impedence. You will be very hard pressed to find midbass speakers in this fashion. In addition, the bose system is already actively equalized for their speakers. If you drop in any speaker, you'll find the sound to be totally off, if it even play loud enough for you to hear it. Either replace it with a similar one, or replace the entire set altogether.
Thank you for the correction, Its greatly appreciated
Old 08-15-2001, 04:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I thought I had heard they were of a special type and shouldn't just be replaced by any kind. Thanks for the clarification.

Now for the next step, where do I find a replacement? Do I have to buy this from a dealership or directly from BOSE or something?

I am very disappointed this happened in the first place, I didn't think a premium sound system would ever blow the speakers, am I totally off base thinking this?

Thanks a ton!

Originally posted by ericdwong

Old 08-15-2001, 04:54 PM
MaxedOut97SE

Also, if you blow a speaker, I have heard that you have to replace the individual amp as well. That's what this car stereo repair guy told me....It's pricey. Also, in case no one else has noticed, the 97-99 Bose system SUCKS compared to the 95-96. Nissan cut some corners after '97 with the stereo because the treble is not nearly as clean as the 95-96. Like when you turn it all the way up on some songs you have to turn the treble down so it doesn't sound distorted. I've noticed it on several different 97+ Maximas. The tweeters in the doors are connected by wire to the speakers in the bottom of the doors, while in the 95-96 model they were seperate, placed on the A pillars. The sound quality in general is just plain better in the 95-96. It is louder as well. In the '97-99 models you know how it gets distorted when you just turn it all the way up without foolin with the bass or whatnot?? In the 95-96, regardless of where the bass and treble are set, if you turn it all the way up it just plain KNOCKS!!!!!!! Don't get me wrong, I am satisfied with my setup and I do think it sounds good, but it's just that the 95-96 sounds GREAT.

Old 08-15-2001, 05:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

That's a sharp looking Maxima.

What did you mean by replacing the amp as well as the speaker? I'm not real familiar with stereos in general and this Bose system seems to be a big headache. I was looking in Crutcfield and they have a bunch of different speakers listed as being compatible with the Bose system but I don't really buy it.

Do you know of somewhere that I can get more information about this thing? I am worried about the price of original replacements.

Thanks

Originally posted by MaxedOut97SE
Also, if you blow a speaker, I have heard that you have to replace the individual amp as well. That's what this car stereo repair guy told me....It's pricey. Also, in case no one else has noticed, the 97-99 Bose system SUCKS compared to the 95-96. Nissan cut some corners after '97 with the stereo because the treble is not nearly as clean as the 95-96. Like when you turn it all the way up on some songs you have to turn the treble down so it doesn't sound distorted. I've noticed it on several different 97+ Maximas. The tweeters in the doors are connected by wire to the speakers in the bottom of the doors, while in the 95-96 model they were seperate, placed on the A pillars. The sound quality in general is just plain better in the 95-96. It is louder as well. In the '97-99 models you know how it gets distorted when you just turn it all the way up without foolin with the bass or whatnot?? In the 95-96, regardless of where the bass and treble are set, if you turn it all the way up it just plain KNOCKS!!!!!!! Don't get me wrong, I am satisfied with my setup and I do think it sounds good, but it's just that the 95-96 sounds GREAT.
Old 08-15-2001, 08:22 PM

Let me first start by saying I have 95 $E and the BOSE factory system svc<s. If my car were newer I would definitely gut it all - I still may do that but the y-pipe is next.
Gotigers: I saw you got instructions to remove the front door speakers (you also need to remove 2 screws at the bottom of the door panel and also watch out for the trunk pop button. The panel will 'pop' off - just pull straight away from door to free clips then lift it up out of the window channel) but you need the rear speaker removed, right? To remove that grill, get in your trunk and look at the bottom of the rear deck. Around the speaker hole you should find 4 screws or nuts or something that holds the grill down from the bottom. I would remove both rear speakers and swap them side to side to confirm whether it's the speaker, amp, wire, etc. that is bad. Good luck.
Old 08-15-2001, 08:29 PM
MaxedOut97SE

Originally posted by gotigers
That's a sharp looking Maxima.

What did you mean by replacing the amp as well as the speaker? I'm not real familiar with stereos in general and this Bose system seems to be a big headache. I was looking in Crutcfield and they have a bunch of different speakers listed as being compatible with the Bose system but I don't really buy it.

Do you know of somewhere that I can get more information about this thing? I am worried about the price of original replacements.

Thanks

Thanks for the compliment. I'm not a huge expert in car audio, but I do know some about our Bose systems. In the Max, each speaker has its own amplifier. That is what gives it it's supposed "lifelike sound". Also, our cars have "active equalization". According to the 1997 brochure, that is the equivalent of having an engineer at each speaker constantly fine tuning it for the best sound. Pretty complicated stuff, therefore not cheap to replace. While Bose is high-tech, it is also expensive to fix. I am almost positive that you will have to replace both the amp and the speaker. That should run somwhere around $500, HOWEVER, call the dealership and ask them where they send their cars for audio work and go there yourself and you should be able to get a better deal. Basically you can either junk the whole Bose system and go all aftermarket, have it fixed, or you might try a junkyard and get that speaker and amp, although I am not 100% sure that works. I hope this is somewhat helpful to you.

Old 08-16-2001, 06:04 AM

Try your local junk yard you'll be surprised. I bought my rear bose speaker there last year and it only cost me $50 and it plays perfectly.
Old 08-16-2001, 07:42 AM

IF you want to know, a new "Bose" amp and "Bose" Speaker cost around $400 a pop from bose or the dealer, I would suggest a junkyard, also The whole "BOSE" system in the car is made by Clarion and is just tagged with bose stickers, damn these cheap SOB'S. Ok Now I have a front and rear speaker removal write up. Here they are:

Rear Speaker Removal

Front Speaker Removal
Old 08-16-2001, 08:43 AM
I'm so hood

Yuck. After hearing all this about the stock bose system, it makes me not want to get an adapter when I install my hu, and instead just replace all the wiring + speakers with aftermarkets.

Is it a big pain to install a component set in the front and use the factory tweeter locations, while running new wire to all speakers? I'd probably have a shop do it, but I ask just to project future expenses...
Old 08-16-2001, 11:34 AM
MaxedOut97SE

Originally posted by gtr_rider
IF you want to know, a new "Bose" amp and "Bose" Speaker cost around $400 a pop from bose or the dealer, I would suggest a junkyard, also The whole "BOSE" system in the car is made by Clarion and is just tagged with bose stickers, damn these cheap SOB'S. Ok Now I have a front and rear speaker removal write up. Here they are:

Rear Speaker Removal

Front Speaker Removal
The deck is Clarion, but the speakers are actually decent quality Bose. The 95-96 deck isn't as good as the 97+. Almost every 95-96 Maxima-I30 I've been in the deck has been messed up one way or another. The 97+ has a better deck but the 96-96 has better sound.

Old 08-16-2001, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by MaxedOut97SE

The deck is Clarion, but the speakers are actually decent quality Bose. The 95-96 deck isn't as good as the 97+. Almost every 95-96 Maxima-I30 I've been in the deck has been messed up one way or another. The 97+ has a better deck but the 96-96 has better sound.
Austin i am so supprised you admitted that one, anyway, yea it's a sharp looking MAX,

IT WOULD BE SHARPER IF YOUR CHEAP A$$ WOULD SPEND 30-50 BUCKS FOR SOME F*CKING CLEAR CORNERS!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-16-2001, 12:54 PM

Well good luck on finding speakers, I ended up dropping $220 on the set of six speakers including the amps on ebay. I'm planning on selling the car so I had to get the BOSE to replace the ones that weren't in the car...long story but good luck.

Philpoe gave me this link to check out, they fix and sell replacement Bose speakers/amps. www.davescoolstuff.com
Old 08-16-2001, 01:25 PM

Junkyard first, eBay 2nd, new system last

Don't buy anything new from Bose. You'll be wasting your money.

Like someone else mentioned, your first best bet is to grab a speaker from a junkyard. In general, these speakers are resilient. It's the head units that typically had problems.

If you can't find one from a junkyard, go on eBay. People sell these complete systems periodically. You'll end up nabbing a full system for around $200-$300. It's cheaper than just one new speaker! Plus, you'll have plenty of other parts in case you have additional failures.

Otherwise, you're better off cleaning out the Bose system. I really liked mine... until the display on the head unit went dark on me. PITA. After a while, I couldn't stand it. Fixing it was out of the question ($200 incl. shipping/handling). I invested that money towards new technology ($100 extra--that's it). I'm VERY happy with my JVC head unit. And if one day the speakers go, then BINGO--I'm all set for an easy swap to non-Bose speakers (thanks to the Bose adapter I got).
Old 08-16-2001, 01:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

BOSE Help is HERE!

I saved this info from somewhere for when my BOSE decides to quit. I know you all are going to find it useful. Read on;

If you're having problems w/ your Bose speakers and/or amplifer, think again before you decide to junk the whole system (unless, of course you want to) or purchase a new speaker assembly. At the bottom is a TSB from Nissan and it details how you can just contact Clarion directly to exchange your Bose speaker/amplifier unit (yes, that's right, the whole assembly, not separates), and for $85, you can exchange it to have a remanufactured unit (made back to OEM specs) sent back to you.

I hope this helps some of you. Also, Clarion (1-800-347-8667, customer service) will fix your Bose decks as well, if you are having problems, however, you will have to call them to get an estimate on cost.
-----------------------------------------
Remanufactured Bose Speakers

Classification: PI95-013

Date: July 5, 1995

REMANUFACTURED BOSE SPEAKERS

APPLIED VEHICLES:
All equipped with Bose system

SERVICE INFORMATION

Nissan and Clarion are working together to help keep down the cost of repairing Bose speakers after the customer's vehicle warranty has expired. Remanufactured Bose speakers are available as exchange units to replace incident speakers instead of installing new ones. This cost effective alternative should be explained to all customers requesting out-of-warranty speaker replacement.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

If a Bose speaker requires replacement in an out-of-warranty vehicle, please offer the customer the following option:

1. Remove the incident speaker as an assembly. The entire speaker enclosure must be intact for a valid exchange.

2. Send the complete speaker assembly and check or money order made out to Clarion Corporation of America to:

Clarion Corporation of America
Factory Service Center
Attention: Customer Service
661 W. Redondo Beach Blvd.
Gardena, CA 90247-4201

The cost is $85.00 per remanufactured speaker assembly

3. Clarion will send out an exchange (remanufactured) unit to the dealer.
4. Install the remanufactured speaker assembly.

Call Clarion's customer service at 1-800-347-8667 with any questions concerning Bose speaker exchanges.
Old 08-16-2001, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by GTRBlkMax97

Austin i am so supprised you admitted that one, anyway, yea it's a sharp looking MAX,

IT WOULD BE SHARPER IF YOUR CHEAP A$$ WOULD SPEND 30-50 BUCKS FOR SOME F*CKING CLEAR CORNERS!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey what happened to your BIG "NISMO" sticker. BTW, I like the painted inner corners of your headlights, makes it look devilish
Old 08-16-2001, 03:12 PM

I blew my front left one and got them replaced with memphis 6 1/2. The stock bose speakers are made of thin cardboard with a plastic center. Pretty sorry if ya ask me.