4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How to tint tails?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 10:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Hi:

Can some one please show me how to tint my tail lights? or does anyone have a link where it's explained in detail?

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2001, 10:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have yet to do this myself.. but all you do is take the tail light assembly apart.. and paint all the loose lense pieces in there black.. you have to get a light enamel, something that adds color.. i know they make spray on tint, that may work.. take your time and take your time when painting plastic..
Old 08-14-2001, 10:30 PM

some one here had a dealer tint there car windows and then they gave him the extra tint material and he just put it in the lights
Old 08-14-2001, 10:32 PM

I havent done the Max cause I think mine looks better with the clear/red... anyway, there is a product called NightShades which I used on my old Camry's tail lights, it works really well! I had to do some set sanding but it came out nice.
Old 08-14-2001, 10:48 PM

I tinted my blinker and reverse lights about a week and a half ago and I love how it looks. I bought a can of spray on smoke tint from autodynamic.com for like $30. One can should be enough if you want to cover everything. I just taped the lights off and sprayed it on the outside. I could not read the directions on the spray can because they were in Chinese, but everything came out fine. I also shaved the emblems the same day so there was a drastic change when I was done. I will try to post some pics if I find the time. L8
Old 08-14-2001, 10:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Wow thanks for all the replies!

What I would like to do is have some thing that will not be permanent on the car, just in case it turns out to be illegal or some thing.

The window tint sounds like my best bet, does any one know if it can be removed after it's installed on the tail lights?

Could someone please post some pics?

Thanks again!
Old 08-14-2001, 11:21 PM

Re: Wow thanks for all the replies!

Originally posted by ionicmax
What I would like to do is have some thing that will not be permanent on the car, just in case it turns out to be illegal or some thing.

The window tint sounds like my best bet, does any one know if it can be removed after it's installed on the tail lights?

Could someone please post some pics?

Thanks again!
I talked to a guy with a 2000 civic SI at hot import nights in AC, he had the bottom part of his tails smoked. I asked him how he did it and he said he just cut a tint strip out and put it on, it looked really clean (do a good job cutting and it comes out nice). I'm sure it can be removed easily with a razor or something of the sort.
Old 08-14-2001, 11:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Re: Re: Wow thanks for all the replies!

Originally posted by Nine7Max

I talked to a guy with a 2000 civic SI at hot import nights in AC, he had the bottom part of his tails smoked. I asked him how he did it and he said he just cut a tint strip out and put it on, it looked really clean (do a good job cutting and it comes out nice). I'm sure it can be removed easily with a razor or something of the sort.
Cool I'll give it a try!
Old 08-15-2001, 07:44 AM

I used the "nightshade" tint made by VHT.
Came out pretty good - but it has a matt finish.
I'm going to put a coat of clear gloss on them,
but I worry about the clear gloss reacting with either the tint paint or the plastic of the lense...

ericdwong - what did you do?

Others on the site have used black pin-striping tape.
They put down a strip/no strip/strip/no strip etc.
Over-all it looks dark, but light still gets through.

You should do a search.
Not too long ago there was a guy who posted that he tinted lights.
Wouldn't say how exactly, but they looked really nice.
Think he was charging something like $70 for all four rear light pieces.

If I hadn't already done the tinting myself, I think I would have had this guy do them.