4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How does this happen!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 07:08 AM

I was driving on the highway last night and went around a curve to another highway when my wife says what was that, it sounded like rocks under the car. Well, immediately after that my charge light and brake light both came on. I took my car home and upon inspection I found that the tensioner had come completely off the car. I did have my underdrive pulley installed last week and I gather that the mechanic did not fully tighten the tensioner down when he installed it. Damn..what a night, they are towing the car this morning and luckily the local nissan dealer has the tensioner in stock for $52 bucks...

Sorry for the long post, just needed to rant a little bit.
Old 08-21-2001, 07:40 AM
maximaR

underdrive pulley ?

Originally posted by QikEnuf
I was driving on the highway last night and went around a curve to another highway when my wife says what was that, it sounded like rocks under the car. Well, immediately after that my charge light and brake light both came on. I took my car home and upon inspection I found that the tensioner had come completely off the car. I did have my underdrive pulley installed last week and I gather that the mechanic did not fully tighten the tensioner down when he installed it. Damn..what a night, they are towing the car this morning and luckily the local nissan dealer has the tensioner in stock for $52 bucks...

Sorry for the long post, just needed to rant a little bit.
that blows , but at least you can get it fixxed soon... and did you say underdrive pulley ? or did you mean something else , where can i get an underdrive pulley ? ive been looking for one for a while,,, do you have to have a 5 speed to get one ? or can you use one in an automagic ? once again , sorry to hear about the tensioner problem

Old 08-21-2001, 08:00 AM

Re: underdrive pulley ?

It happened after the install of the pulley. They just forgot to tighten the tensioner because the pulley requires smaller belts. You can get the pulley from Courtesy Parts, or I am sure there are some other places to get it as well.
You can get it for the automatic.

Originally posted by maximaR

that blows , but at least you can get it fixxed soon... and did you say underdrive pulley ? or did you mean something else , where can i get an underdrive pulley ? ive been looking for one for a while,,, do you have to have a 5 speed to get one ? or can you use one in an automagic ? once again , sorry to hear about the tensioner problem
Old 08-21-2001, 08:07 AM
maximaR

Re: Re: underdrive pulley ?

Originally posted by QikEnuf
It happened after the install of the pulley. They just forgot to tighten the tensioner because the pulley requires smaller belts. You can get the pulley from Courtesy Parts, or I am sure there are some other places to get it as well.
You can get it for the automatic.

awesome , did you notice a good power gain ??

Old 08-21-2001, 08:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: underdrive pulley ?

Originally posted by maximaR

awesome , did you notice a good power gain ??
it doesnt help to gain power, but frees up power because of the smaller size...
Old 08-21-2001, 08:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I got advice once from Cheston to save my money from buying a UDP for an automatic as the money is better spent on other "go-faster" mods rather than just an unknown, "take it for granted" pulley.