4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

my new maxima

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2001, 11:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey everybody,

Well, it seems that I've just "inherited" my dad's black 1998 SE 5-speed. I still have to pay monthly payments on it for another 1.5 years, but its still a good deal. I was thinking about buying a new civic coupe, but then I came to my senses . So anyway, I want to start modifying the car, but first there are a few minor things that need to be fixed.

1. The brake pads squeal a little and have about 3/16 - 4/16 inch of material left on them. Should I change them? If so, can you please recommend a brake pad that doesn't dust too much (the stock rotors are still ok I think)

2. The outside body has some scratches on it, and the biggest problem of all is the "Proud parent of an honor roll student" stickers on the back (talking about my sister, not me ) . So does anybody know of a good way to remove bumper stickers, and also what's a good compound to use for repairing scratches.

3. The car has 60k miles on it, mostly highway, so its in very good shape. I know I need to do the 60k service, so what kind of spark plugs should I buy? I looked at the FAQ's on this site, and they said you need to get plugs with a smaller gap if you add bolt-on horsepower to the car, which I plan to do soon. SO, any recommendations for spark plugs. Also, one FAQ said you need to change the fuel filter, is this really true?

4. My planned mod order is as follows: intake, put some sort of hyperwhite or blue bulbs in the headlights, lower the car, rear sway bar, y pipe and exhaust, etc...

Tell me what you guys think. I know I've come to the right place to get advice on my new Maxima Thanks a lot.

-Sergei
Old 08-23-2001, 12:05 AM

Skip the "blue" blubs. It makes us maxima owners look bad. Just get some PIAA superwhites or Phillips blue vision(not blue at all) or sulvania cool blues(again not blue).
Old 08-23-2001, 01:40 AM

welcome

1. I've seen a lot of talk about porterfield and Axxis pads, look for those.

2. goo-gone from Target or Walmart for the stickers, and I haven't found a god-damn compound yet that'll remove scratches worth a shiht.

3. Get the NGK platinums, lots of others have tried other plugs, most went OK, but didn't make a big difference. I don't think you need to worry about gap, because the bolt-on HP you're going to get for your maxima won't give you any more than 15-20HP and the OEM NGK plugs come pre-gapped IIRC.

4. almost exactly the same as what I did, except I got the RSB b4 the springs/struts

I agree on the PIAA's (I have them), but I think the Philips & Sylvanias are prolly a lot cheaper.

Good luck man

Justin
Old 08-23-2001, 05:09 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

You should consider unloading that piece of crap asap. Maximas suck, all of them, especially the 5-speeds. Do yourself a favor and get rid of it.

In fact, let me take care of it for you

j/k congrats
Old 08-23-2001, 05:48 PM

Re: welcome

Originally posted by justmax

2. goo-gone from Target or Walmart for the stickers, and I haven't found a god-damn compound yet that'll remove scratches worth a shiht.
Use 3M Hand Glaze Compound. You can usually only get it at auto paint supply places and it is expensive ($35 for 24oz. bottle) but the stuff works great at removing surface scratches. It even glosses up slightly faded paint and is great as a pre-wax cleaner.
Old 08-23-2001, 05:54 PM

thanks speedy-t

I'll look for that!
Old 08-25-2001, 01:42 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

thanks guys

Thanks for the advice guys.

Hey Justin, where did you buy those racing pedals? I was thinking about buying these, u think they are worth it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...554213&r=0&t=0

Do they provide better grip than regular pedals?

Thanks again for the responses....
Old 08-25-2001, 03:19 AM

Re: thanks guys

Originally posted by spiff56747
Thanks for the advice guys.

Hey Justin, where did you buy those racing pedals? I was thinking about buying these, u think they are worth it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...554213&r=0&t=0

Do they provide better grip than regular pedals?

Thanks again for the responses....
Yeah, much better grip. Since they just clip onto the pedals, they decrease your legroom slightly, so if you're a tall man, it can be an issue.

Long story on the pedals... I ordered a set from Autotoys.com, they sent me the A/T version. I emailed, called, *****ed, got no response. So I went to a local stereo shop that has that kind of stuff and bought a different set, gave the ones Autotoys sent to my nephew (he has a 93 GXE). Then like 2 months later, Autotoys sent me my M/T pedals!!! I told them thanks, but too late. I still have 'em, I'll sell 'em to you for $20 + shipping if you want.
Those pedals on E-Bay look really nice, expensive though.

justin
Old 08-25-2001, 03:32 AM
pjalst

You can hit the bumper sticker with a blow dryer first to soften up the glue for about 5 min. then use the Goo Gone to get the residue off. Walmart, K-mart has it too.

Old 08-25-2001, 09:06 PM
Banned

I cant tell you much but you come to the right place for info. I'm new here but ill tell you these guys R cool. The max is a great car. For the price What other car can you compare for the performance. If had $$$$ I get the M5 but for know im happy with the max.
Old 08-25-2001, 09:18 PM
pjalst

Originally posted by philthismax
I cant tell you much but you come to the right place for info. I'm new here but ill tell you these guys R cool. The max is a great car. For the price What other car can you compare for the performance. If had $$$$ I get the M5 but for know im happy with the max.
I think most Max owners would upgrade to a BMW if they had the money, I know I would. I used to have a 85 635csi, nice car. I think I'm enjoying my Max just as much as I enjoyed the Bimmer. I've had mine for a month and I'm hooked already