4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need Oppinions , help !@

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2001, 05:52 PM
maximaR

I was talking to my mom today (i am only 17 hence i still speak to my mother quite often), and i asked her , if i got 5-10,000 bucks for school for swimming,which is highly likely (im a swimmer). If they would pay to put a 5 speed in my max. She returned with . "why dont you just trade it in or sell it and get a new car?", which brings up my point. I really want a five speed, and a car which i can continue to do mods on. So this brings up my point. What should i do ?
1) Sell/Trade my maxima , and get another 95-96 max 5 speed, then transfer the mods i have. which are:
Greddy Cat back
Place racing CAI
Stillen FSTB
intrax springs
Hyperwhite bulbs and driving lamps
17x7 Katana concept 5 rims < could use on other car
yokohama tires
touring wing (not on yet , but comming in soon)
pioneer head unit
i feel like im forgetting something , but oh well, you get the point.

2) sell the max as is, or strip mods (and sell on .org) and trade it in. I shaved all the trunk letters and everything off , but i can put them back on easily.
AND BUY A SUBARU WRX.

I think i could switch my rims onto it , and use the touring wing and cd player. Im not sure how the wing would look , but im still not sure what im doing yet anyway.

Old 08-23-2001, 06:21 PM

well...

Dude there's a very big cost difference between a 95-96 Max and a WRX (like 10-12 grand)...

Obviously, the WRX is smaller, faster, newer, and 4WD-er, mmmmmmmm.... WRX.....

Jeez man you just need to finger out if you can afford the Sube, and if so, then definitely go for that.

I've said it before, if Subaru were selling turbo Imprezas 2 years ago, I wouldn't be driving a Max right now.

Justin
Old 08-23-2001, 06:32 PM
maximaR

Re: well...

Originally posted by justmax
Dude there's a very big cost difference between a 95-96 Max and a WRX (like 10-12 grand)...

Obviously, the WRX is smaller, faster, newer, and 4WD-er, mmmmmmmm.... WRX.....

Jeez man you just need to finger out if you can afford the Sube, and if so, then definitely go for that.

I've said it before, if Subaru were selling turbo Imprezas 2 years ago, I wouldn't be driving a Max right now.

Justin
oh yeah , i know about the price difference and all that. i forgot to say this i guess , but if i got like 5-10 grand a year for school in scholarship money , my parents would cover the difference between the max, after i sold mine, unless i just get a 5 speed max to replace my auto.

Old 08-24-2001, 08:12 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

smoke crack...
Old 08-24-2001, 09:26 AM

Conversion

Sometimes even if the conversion is done right it is never quite the same. I would say go with another max that had a 5 in it. I have never driven or been in the subaru so dont have anythign to compare it to but would not recomend the atup to 5 speed.

SuDZ
Old 08-24-2001, 04:57 PM
maximaR

alright ...

Originally posted by MadMax95
smoke crack...

HUH ???

Old 08-24-2001, 05:42 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Go for the Conversion !

You could easily find a way for someone to do the conversion for under 2k. Easily. A member of this website did the conversion with a friend and posted a 13-page instructional on his website. I believe it only costed him 800.00 and after he sells off his auto tranny he'll only be out a few hundred.

I gave this guy at AAMCO the instructions on how to do it (Off that guys website) and he told me the next day he could do it for close to 1k including some parts.

As for "It not being the same" as a stock 5spd, I disagree. If you got it done professionally, it would work perfectly and if it didn't then obviously take it in under warrenty and have 'em fix it. But the guy & his friend did it themselves and he says it works perfectly.

A suburu WRX would be a fast car with great handling, I just think their ugly and tiny and wouldn't spend all that $$$ for one.

Anyways so those are my opinions, hope it helps you out.
Old 08-24-2001, 06:27 PM

Re: alright ...

Originally posted by maximaR

HUH ???
Redmax95, I've seen two threads today where your only input was "smoke crack". I can't wait until you have a legitimate question or request for input, and you know what yer gonna get from me???

Do ya???

smoke crack...

That's what yer gonna get.

Justin
Old 08-24-2001, 06:29 PM
maximaR

Re: Re: alright ...

MaximaR, I've seen two threads today where your only input was "smoke crack". I can't wait until you have a legitimate question or request for input, and you know what yer gonna get from me???

Do ya???

smoke crack...

That's what yer gonna get.

Justin
i wasnt the one that said smoke crack >>> i was the one asking about what i should do with my car. thanks

Old 08-24-2001, 06:35 PM
maximaR

Re: Re: Re: Re: alright ...

S H I T! Sorry man, I meant

REDMAX95!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, MaximaR, get the WRX!

Justin
thats cool man , no problem... i think i will get a WRX

Old 08-24-2001, 06:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: alright ...

Diiiid anyone hear what I said ?
Old 08-24-2001, 06:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: alright ...

Go drive one. I drove the Impreza RS 2.5, and thought the handling was frickin' *amazing*, but it just felt too weak. That car only had 165 HP, whereas the WRX has like 220 (I think)!! That should be a truly awesome ride man, good luck.

J
Old 08-24-2001, 06:43 PM
maximaR

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: alright ...

Go drive one. I drove the Impreza RS 2.5, and thought the handling was frickin' *amazing*, but it just felt too weak. That car only had 165 HP, whereas the WRX has like 220 (I think)!! That should be a truly awesome ride man, good luck.

J
hey justmax ? does your hand ever slip off your shift *** ? it looks kinda slippery , like if your hand was sweaty... and i thought the WRX had like 260 hp

Old 08-24-2001, 06:45 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: alright ...

Originally posted by Craig Mack

Diiiid anyone hear what I said ?
Yeah, Craig, I *read* what you said, but hey think about it...

His parents are *GIVING* him the difference so he can go for the WRX! At the very least if he doesn't like it, he can trade that in for an '03 Maxima in a couple years. The main idea is that he's getting a much higher-valued car, and I think the WRX is kick a$$ (no, not very big, and no not very good looking). Think of the trade-in value of a '95 Maxima vs. an '02 WRX!! Or how 'bout this MaximaR, wait a couple months and have your parents pay the difference for an '02 6-speed!

So the moral of the story is, if you aren't spending the money, then go *ALL OUT*!!!
Old 08-24-2001, 06:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: alright ...

hey justmax ? does your hand ever slip off your shift *** ? it looks kinda slippery , like if your hand was sweaty... and i thought the WRX had like 260 hp
Nah, it's nice & grippy rubber on the front. According to Edmunds.com, the WRX is 227HP. (out of a horizontally opposed "boxter" 4-cylinder 2.0 L engine!)

The new 3.5 L Maxima has 255 or 260 HP, maybe that's what you were thinking of?
maximaR

His parents are *GIVING* him the difference so he can go for the WRX! At the very least if he doesn't like it, he can trade that in for an '03 Maxima in a couple years. The main idea is that he's getting a much higher-valued car, and I think the WRX is kick a$$ (no, not very big, and no not very good looking). Think of the trade-in value of a '95 Maxima vs. an '02 WRX!! Or how 'bout this MaximaR, wait a couple months and have your parents pay the difference for an '02 6-speed!

So the moral of the story is, if you aren't spending the money, then go *ALL OUT*!!!
i would like to go for the 03 max , but theres one problem, theres really no need , MY DAD IS GETTING ONE !!!! as soon as his jetta lease is up , (in 2003). hes going maxima. he drove mine a few times and now hes all over the maxima stuff. hes gonna go 6 speed too he tells me.

Good Point! I didn't think about that. Well of course go with the WRX and have some fun with it. And when the New maxima comes out, get rid of it and get the max.

Damn I wish my parents would do this for me!

Ohh your dad's gettin one, eh ? Well I donno much about the 03's but I think they are gonna be totally re-designed. Stupid Nissan needs to give 'em a RWD or AWD.
Old 08-24-2001, 06:52 PM
maximaR

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: alright ...

Nah, it's nice & grippy rubber on the front. According to Edmunds.com, the WRX is 227HP. (out of a horizontally opposed "boxter" 4-cylinder 2.0 L engine!)

The new 3.5 L Maxima has 255 or 260 HP, maybe that's what you were thinking of?
yeah , i think i just kinda combined facts from the 2 different cars... how great would it be for that small car with 260 hp though ???

Old 08-24-2001, 06:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: alright ...

yeah , i think i just kinda combined facts from the 2 different cars... how great would it be for that small car with 260 hp though ???
I'm surprised your mom hasn't thought about safety ! My mom would be like "I don't give a damn if it's got 400 horsepower, your not driving that tiny little car!"

Safety first. I feel safe in my maxima!

Purhaps my mom has influenced me too much !
Old 08-24-2001, 06:58 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: alright ...

that's what RX7's and Supras and Z's are for man.

A stock 95 RX7 puts out 255 from a 2-rotor *1.3* Liter twin-turbo motor. You could prolly find one for around $16-$18 Grand... And that is a serious kick in the a$$ to drive.
Old 08-24-2001, 07:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

WRX is nice but you better find out what insurance will cost for you. I'm betting it's damn high. You can't beat a Max for practicality.
Old 08-24-2001, 08:13 PM
maximaR

Originally posted by Mishmosh
WRX is nice but you better find out what insurance will cost for you. I'm betting it's damn high. You can't beat a Max for practicality.

excellent point ... ill have to check that out. I wouldnt have to pay it , but , i would feel kinda like an @$$ hole if i went and spent a lot of my parents money. but they are getting it back from school tohugh ... so i dont know

Old 08-25-2001, 02:38 AM

if your dad is gonna get a 2003 maxima he should just get the Z car, might as well you know? supposed to make some 260 plus hp also its RWD :] mmmm.... rwd.. i wish maximas were that way... regardless the Z car will be so tite stock think of what you can do if you put a few mods in here and there :]
Old 08-25-2001, 06:40 AM
maximaR

maybe

Originally posted by norton2099
if your dad is gonna get a 2003 maxima he should just get the Z car, might as well you know? supposed to make some 260 plus hp also its RWD :] mmmm.... rwd.. i wish maximas were that way... regardless the Z car will be so tite stock think of what you can do if you put a few mods in here and there :]
I tried to convince him to get the new Z , but he says he thinks they are ugly, (what does he know)but he said that about a lot of cars before they came out , and once he started seeing them up close , he started to like them , and im sure after he drives the Z , its all over , but either way , there will be a nissan in my family for many years to come. I love nissan. oh , i think im gonna cry ,,, ahhaa

Old 08-25-2001, 07:04 AM

Re: maybe

Tell him to get the 03 g35 (American Skyline), same 3.5 liter with RWD (260 hp just like 03 max and 350Z).
The WRX kicks a$$, also you can mod it for a lot less money, and you can't beat boost (WRX runs 14 psi stock for 227hp), you could easily get it to 280-300 with the stock turbo and couple grand, very inexpensive as compared to modding a N/A car. Also the AWD, if you have never driven one, is the best thing handling wise that you will ever find.
If it was me I'd probably go with the WRX, I am a huge fan of AWD with a turbo (I'll prob get the new A4 in the next 6 months)