4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Homemade upper air intake (long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2000 | 06:39 PM

I followed in the footsteps of mrloyd and replaced the resonator in my intake with a straight pipe. I used 3" pvc for the pipe, a rubber coupler with screw on clamps, and plastic sprinkler fittings for the hoses, 1/2" for the front and 3/4" for the rear. I also used a small brass fitting for the vacuum hose. It didn't take very long and it was pretty easy. I didn't end up with a whistle either, everything seems to be airtight.
Impressions? The sound changed a little; it actually seems a little quieter now. It seems to accelerate a little stronger and more smoothly, but that could just be my own hope. Unfortunately, as I was testing it I realized that my y-pipe is leaking off the rear manifold. Stupid dealer, if they would have given me the right gaskets in the first place I wouldn't have reused the old ones and I wouldn't have this problem. I'll fix it tomorrow, and then I can give a more accurate review of my "custom" intake. I took pictures, but it might be a little while before I get them developed. If you want more details on how I did it, feel free to email me.
Old 10-25-2000 | 10:08 PM
mrloyd

cool

glad you tried it and it worked out well for you. Glad you have no weird noise. Still can't figgure what causes mine, except that it is not a leak. As i mentioned before, it happens when deceleration and when turning the steering while parked. It is a very high pitch whistle. The thing i fuggured out today is that there is a click sound preceding the whistle like a relay clicking in. I would really like to figure this out, so i don't have to scrap the mod. I'm certain after a day of driving that i did gain some low end.
Old 10-25-2000 | 11:54 PM

I'm glad I didn't buy the Place Racing piece for $80. I'm sure there's looks better, but I don't show my car and with a little paint I think it will actually look pretty good anyway. I spent about $8 total in parts, and got a pretty wicked buzz from the pipe cement on top of it . Thanks for your writeup, it helped me alot, especially when I was in the store.
Old 10-26-2000 | 12:09 AM
mrloyd

the store

speaking of the store: i was just outside tinkering with mine like the obsessed retard that i am, and think that i have figgured out what the noise is. I think that the fittings i used are slightly musical.If you have seen what im using (standard brass plumbing fittings) one end is slightly flared outward, and i think the rear hose, the larger one, seems to pull alot of air and i think that the air pulling in that flared fitting while the air flowing through the main pipe crosses it creates a whistle durring certain engine conditions. Which leads me to the store. I want to redo my fittings trying what you used. You say they are sprinkler fittings. In what store, what brand and so forth. If you are still on it would help if you could reply tonight so i can fix this in the morn. Thanks a bunch
Old 10-26-2000 | 12:32 AM

I got them at HomeBase, but they don't really have a brand on them. For the front I used a 1/2" to 3/4" coupler with "ribbed" ends designed to join two hoses. I cut the ribs off of the big end so that the part I glued to the PVC would be smooth. For the rear I ended up switching to a 3/4" to 3/4" elbow coupler so the hose would reach better. It's similar to the front piece, only bent. I cut the ribs off of that one where it joins to the PVC too. The nice thing about the ribs is that they hold the hose on really well using the stock squeeze clamps. If I started over, I think I would use 1/2" rather than 3/4" where they fit in to the PVC just because it would be easier to make the smaller holes. The small fitting I used is probably similar to what you used, with the flange on the end. It looks just like the stock fitting once installed. They had a ton of different sprinkler parts in all different shapes and sizes, I was actually pretty excited when I found them. I think I used the exact same part you did to connect the PVC to the MAF, and I used that stock accordian tube to go to the throttle body. I think the hardest part of the whole job was getting that on. I wish I had pictures to show you, but no digital camera. I should be up for a little while longer if you have any more ?'s.
Old 10-26-2000 | 12:49 AM
mrloyd

just two

By ridges do you mean barbed, like the plastic pieces used to join vaccum hose or windshield washer tube, or do you mean threaded. Second, how did you remove them?
Old 10-26-2000 | 01:01 AM

I guess I would say barbed. They have ridges on them in an accordian shape, I think 5 on each end. Definitely not threaded, although I almost used some threaded ones until I found the others. The pieces are smooth in the middle with the ridges on the ends, so I just cut off the part with ridges on one side. I'll look on the net for something similar for a minute, and if I find it I'll post a link.
Old 10-26-2000 | 01:09 AM

These are pretty close to what I bought: http://shopworks.com/showdetl.shp?ID=2185&companyid=35
http://shopworks.com/showdetl.shp?ID=2195&companyid=35
Hope this helps.