4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

sratched strut rod = broken strut? Daniel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2001, 09:56 PM

I briefly asked this question in another post that was somewhere relating to my problem. But anyways, I accidentaly sratched the strut rod with an electrical sander, and know there is about a 3mm X 4mm sratch. My question is, will there be any ill effect on the strut now because of this sratch? The sratch is about 4 inches up from the top of the strut housing, not the rod. To describe actual damage, when I run my finger along the strut rod, its like silky smooth, but when I get to the sratch its rough and you can feel the difference. If anyone knows how badly my strut is damaged, please let me know. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2001, 06:29 AM

Originally posted by danny's_max
I briefly asked this question in another post that was somewhere relating to my problem. But anyways, I accidentaly sratched the strut rod with an electrical sander, and know there is about a 3mm X 4mm sratch. My question is, will there be any ill effect on the strut now because of this sratch? The sratch is about 4 inches up from the top of the strut housing, not the rod. To describe actual damage, when I run my finger along the strut rod, its like silky smooth, but when I get to the sratch its rough and you can feel the difference. If anyone knows how badly my strut is damaged, please let me know. Thanks.
Your description of the site of the damage is confusing. In one place you say "sratched the strut rod" (sic) and in another place you say "not the rod." Where is the damage?
Old 08-28-2001, 02:06 PM

Just about any scratch on the rod will cause damage to the seals and cause it to leak. If you are at all concerned about performance handling, you might as well have it changed.
Old 08-28-2001, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Your description of the site of the damage is confusing. In one place you say "sratched the strut rod" (sic) and in another place you say "not the rod." Where is the damage?
Sorry about the confusion, the sratch is on the rod, but I guess what I was trying to say was where the location of the sratch is. See the pic below to see about where the sratch is (this isnt my strut). Also, how do you know when your strut is gone? Besides the leakiness, is there any noise that is heard from a broken strut?

Originally posted by sinewave
Just about any scratch on the rod will cause damage to the seals and cause it to leak. If you are at all concerned about performance handling, you might as well have it changed.
About how quickly will be start to notice a leak? Days? Weeks? Because I installed the strut on Saturday, August 25, and no leaks yet.
Old 08-28-2001, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Sorry about the confusion, the sratch is on the rod, but I guess what I was trying to say was where the location of the sratch is. See the pic below to see about where the sratch is (this isnt my strut). Also, how do you know when your strut is gone? Besides the leakiness, is there any noise that is heard from a broken strut?

Originally posted by sinewave
About how quickly will be start to notice a leak? Days? Weeks? Because I installed the strut on Saturday, August 25, and no leaks yet.
Old 08-28-2001, 10:09 PM

Opps

opps, sorry for the double reply
Old 08-29-2001, 05:00 AM

Sorry about the confusion, the sratch is on the rod ...
Repeated attempts to download your attachment were unsuccessful. I'll answer without the benefit of seeing that image.

If the damaged part of the strut rod passes into the strut body anywhere in the suspension travel, it will chew up the seals and cause a leak. Loss of fluid compromises strut operation.

A bad strut does not usually make noise. The symptom is a bouncy ride, a loss of "like new" steering precision, and a need for constant small steering corrections even on a smooth level road.
Old 08-29-2001, 09:15 PM

Hmm, I see. Thanks for the info Daniel. One more question, about how long does it take to notice that you strut is gone? Like when will you be able to notice leak and/or loss of performance?
Old 08-30-2001, 05:13 AM

Bumper Jounce test

Hmm, I see. Thanks for the info Daniel. One more question, about how long does it take to notice that you strut is gone? Like when will you be able to notice leak and/or loss of performance?
You may evaluate your struts by performing the Bumper Jounce test. Park the car on a level surface. Walk to any corner and use your weight to press down on the bumper. As soon as it sinks, release it and let it come up. As soon as it comes up, press down again. Do this three or four times. When you have a good up-and-down rhythm going, press down one last time, step back, and observe. If the body comes up just once and stops, the strut at that corner is good. If the body continues to oscillate, the strut at that corner is bad. Repeat this Bumper Jounce test at the other three corners.

Some people scorn the Bumper Jounce test as outdated or inaccurate. There is some truth in that viewpoint but it is still the best test available to us driveway mechanics.

Aside from the Bumper Jounce test, you may recognize a bad strut by any of these symptoms ...
- bouncy ride
- "wander" on smooth level roads
- the need for constant small steering corrections
- abnormal tire wear
- copious fluid leakage