4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Do I have ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2001, 09:10 AM
csquarefarm

I just bought a 1995 GLE. I bought it from the 2nd owner, and he says it has anti-lock brakes. How can I confirm that I have ABS?

Old 08-28-2001, 09:14 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Find a wet piece of road and slam on the brakes...

Also take a look at your master cylinder, if you have ABS you will see all the actuators and stuff in that area.
Old 08-28-2001, 09:28 AM

Don't all GLE's come with ABS? Anyways. look at the relay box in the engine room. If you have ABS, you will have the relay. Or you could do what mzmtg says.
Old 08-28-2001, 09:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

-Mzmtg-
My suggestion exactly

-Med-
I have a GLE without antilock brakes...
Old 08-28-2001, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by csquarefarm
I just bought a 1995 GLE. I bought it from the 2nd owner, and he says it has anti-lock brakes. How can I confirm that I have ABS?
Any of these tests should tell the tale...

1) Ask any technician at your local friendly Nissan dealer. He can answer after a three-second look under the hood. He will be looking for the ABS actuator, a sort of hydraulic octopus which is located near the brake master cylinder. If the actuator isn't there, your Maxima doesn't have ABS.

2) Sit in the driver's seat. Turn the ignition "on" but don't start the engine. This performs a dashboard warning lamp test. You should see all sorts of warning lights go on and stay on including those for Engine Oil Pressure, Charge, Door Open, and Service Engine Soon. Some other dashboard warning lights go on momentarily and then go off. The momentary lights include Air Bag and ABS. If you make this lamp test and do not see the ABS light go on momentarily, your Maxima doesn't have ABS.

3) Raise the hood. Just in front of the battery you should see a black plastic relay box. This is relay box #2. Snap off the relay box cover. There are two rows of relay sockets, four in each row. Your relay box may have some blank sockets, depending on which options are installed. Look at the row of relays closest to the battery. The third and fourth from left socket should have relays installed. If those sockets are empty, your Maxima doesn't have ABS.
Old 08-28-2001, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by csquarefarm

1) Ask any technician at your local friendly Nissan dealer. He can answer after a three-second look under the hood. He will be looking for the ABS actuator, a sort of hydraulic octopus which is located near the brake master cylinder. If the actuator isn't there, your Maxima doesn't have ABS.

2) Sit in the driver's seat. Turn the ignition "on" but don't start the engine. This performs a dashboard warning lamp test. You should see all sorts of warning lights go on and stay on including those for Engine Oil Pressure, Charge, Door Open, and Service Engine Soon. Some other dashboard warning lights go on momentarily and then go off. The momentary lights include Air Bag and ABS. If you make this lamp test and do not see the ABS light go on momentarily, your Maxima doesn't have ABS.

3) Raise the hood. Just in front of the battery you should see a black plastic relay box. This is relay box #2. Snap off the relay box cover. There are two rows of relay sockets, four in each row. Your relay box may have some blank sockets, depending on which options are installed. Look at the row of relays closest to the battery. The third and fourth from left socket should have relays installed. If those sockets are empty, your Maxima doesn't have ABS.
Old 08-28-2001, 10:07 AM

I think i read that the abs came optional on 96 and standard on 97....
Old 08-28-2001, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by medicsonic
Don't all GLE's come with ABS? ...
No.
Old 08-28-2001, 11:13 AM
csquarefarm

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin

Thanks. The ABS light comes on very briefy (the airbag light stays on a lot longer). Also I have a relay in the 3rd socket, but not the 4th.