4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New Guy! Question about Dad's Maxima!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2001, 09:43 AM
thecrotch

Hey guys! Ok I've got a quick question. My dad has recently bought a 98 Nissan Maxima SE. He put a K & N drop in filter in and liked the gain but he's more into getting better gas mileage. Ok he wants a muffler that's not too loud but gives him better gas mileage with a low hum. I have a 1995 V6 Accord and my muffler sounds great. Now would dualing it out and having two mufflers increase or decrease the sound? Also would he even get better gas mileage? Would he need to get a universal muffler or does greddy or tanabe or some other company make a complete catback for him? Thanks in advance guys!

Old 09-03-2001, 09:48 AM

I know that Pacesetter, Stillen, and GReddy make catback exhausts for the 98 maxima. Dual exhaust on the other hand has to be custom and i believe that you have to cut the bumper to get it to fit right. BTW, i don't think that a free flowing exhaust is going to help gas mileage THAT much. It might help a little, though. Just trying to help.
Old 09-03-2001, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by thecrotch
Hey guys! Ok I've got a quick question. My dad has recently bought a 98 Nissan Maxima SE. He put a K & N drop in filter in and liked the gain but he's more into getting better gas mileage. Ok he wants a muffler that's not too loud but gives him better gas mileage with a low hum. I have a 1995 V6 Accord and my muffler sounds great. Now would dualing it out and having two mufflers increase or decrease the sound? Also would he even get better gas mileage? Would he need to get a universal muffler or does greddy or tanabe or some other company make a complete catback for him? Thanks in advance guys!
1.)The K&N 'drop-in' filter doen't provide any gains over the stock filter.
2.)The restiction in the Maxima's exhaust system is the Y-Pipe/downpipe, not the rest of the exhaust. VERY few have actually put in a dual exhaust (whats teh need?) and with there being very little restriction in the exhaust, a dual system is of no actual performance use, but should increase the sound and look cool.
3. Apex'i and Greddy have the WS and SP, respectively for the Maxima.
Old 09-03-2001, 10:00 AM
thecrotch

Are you sure about the K & N filter thing. I'm not trying to question you but I thought I read somewhere that it gained something at the wheels. My dad said he felt a difference. Anyway what looks best on the Maxima? Would any universal muffler fit?

Old 09-03-2001, 10:10 AM

Search this website, ZERO gains from the drop in filter. Do not confuse that with the K&N intake/cone filter, that is another thing that gives limited (1-3 HP) gains. The difference he feels? Got me, shouldn't be any. As for universal mufflers, most of them are just that, mufflers. Do you want the whole cat back system or just the muffler?
Old 09-03-2001, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by thecrotch
A different muffler will not produce a significant fuel consumption improvement.
Old 09-03-2001, 12:53 PM
I'm so hood

Heh...intake/exhaust mods aren't going to really help gas mileage noticably. Especially since your dad seems to like "the gain" with his drop-in filter, which makes me think he pushes the car every now and then. If he wants better gas mileage, tell him to watch the leadfoot.

Seems to me he's an old man that, inside, wants to be the young guy that mods out a car for performance and takes it to the strip and whatnot, but his old man values tell him not to, and to look out for thrifty selling points like "better gas mileage". Ahh, the maxima...the perfect sleeper mid-life crisis automobile mix