4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Sun Damage

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2001, 11:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I really need help with this one. The black rubber around my rear window has really been damaged by the sun and looks bad. Does anyone have any suggestions on what can be done. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-03-2001, 11:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mcros
I really need help with this one. The black rubber around my rear window has really been damaged by the sun and looks bad. Does anyone have any suggestions on what can be done. Thanks for your help.
You can replace it.

On a slightly different note, The black stuff in between your doors can be easaly peeled off. Underneath it is brand new paint, the same color as your car. To peel it off open up your doors and either have it warmed by the sun or use a hair dryer, next find the edge of the vinyle black plasticy surface and just peel it off! Once your done peeling it off remove the old glue with your finger. Disregard what I just said if you have a black car. BTW this idea was presented by the org member "Sadow".
Old 09-04-2001, 06:26 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

BLACK AGAIN by Something Else

Originally posted by mcros
Go to a good speed/performance shop and look for a product called BLACK AGAIN by Something Else. This stuff WILL make all your rubber BLACK AGAIN. Strange thing is the stuff is actually a white paste but it def. works great on restoring Black Rubber and Vinyl.
Old 09-04-2001, 08:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: BLACK AGAIN by Something Else

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Go to a good speed/performance shop and look for a product called BLACK AGAIN by Something Else. This stuff WILL make all your rubber BLACK AGAIN. Strange thing is the stuff is actually a white paste but it def. works great on restoring Black Rubber and Vinyl.

Thanks I will give it a try
Old 09-04-2001, 09:41 AM

Try

BACK-TO-BLACK by Mothers.
Good stuff.

Heres a quote from www.mothers.com

"BACK-TO-BLACK®

As your ride's exterior ages, rubber, plastic and vinyl exterior hardware of all colors will dry, crack, flake and deteriorate. This oxidation can be stopped and reversed with Mothers® Back-to-Black®, our favorite auto-care concoction. This trim treatment is great for all sorts of exterior hardware in all colors-bumpers, molding, louvers, window trim, vents, seals, skirts, door handles, wiper arms-anything that's plastic, rubber or vinyl. Apply Back-to-Black® to sun-burnt plastic, rubber and vinyl to revive the factory-new sheen, then re-treat that exterior hardware regularly.

#06108, 8 oz."