4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

question for DBM

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2001, 03:57 PM

I was just wondering what a bad wheel bearing would sound like and the what the symptoms would be... as well as a sticking caliper?

In addition, the steering on my max feels very heavy, unresponsive , and/or a severe understeer. I also feel the car is veering slightly to the right.

I just got new tires (Mich. Mxv4's) and had a balance/alignment done on my 97 max gxe with 61k miles..

btw, the tire pressure is set at about 32 /31.

Thanks in advance...
Old 09-04-2001, 05:25 PM

Well, if you just got an alignment and your car is not tracking straight, go back to the shop and get them to correct it (should be free).

As for a bad wheel bearing, it could be anything from a hum when you are at speed, or a "fwub wub wub wub" noise. If you do have funny noises coming from the wheel area, the shop that does your alignment should be able to diagnose it for you.
Old 09-04-2001, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by kmax97
I was just wondering what a bad wheel bearing would sound like and the what the symptoms would be... as well as a sticking caliper?
1) Verify that all wheel nuts are tight.

2) Raise the car. If you have a floor jack you can raise the entire front end at once, and test both front wheel bearings. No need for jackstands, as you will not get under the car.

3) Grab the top of the tire (12 o'clock) and push away from yourself and pull toward yourself. Yank it to and fro in this fashion several times. If there is noticeable free play or a "clunking" sound, the wheel bearing may be damaged.

4) Spin the wheel. If it spins freely but makes ugly sounds the wheel bearing may be damaged. If it won't spin freely the brake may be dragging. This could indicate a sticking caliper.

5) Remove the wheel. Make a careful visual inspection of the brake and surrounding parts. See if...
- the stamped sheet metal baffle plate has been bent and is rubbing the rotor
- a pebble or other foreign body has become trapped and is rubbing the rotor.
- a brake shim has slipped out of position and is rubbing the rotor.
Old 09-04-2001, 05:51 PM

Touch test

Originally posted by kmax97
... as well as a sticking caliper?
A sticking caliper will generate a lot of heat, and that will be harmful. It is also a good diagnostic symptom. Drive on a highway where the brakes are not used much. After fifteen minutes, pull off the highway in a safe location. Walk around the car and feel each wheel. A wheel with a stuck caliper is likely to be hotter than the others. Be careful, because it might be so hot you will burn your hand.