4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Malfunction Indicator Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2001, 08:24 AM
adibmotiwala

Hello,
Im the proud owner of a 1995 Nissan Maxima. I have been quite happy with the performance since i bought it in March 2001. I took it for a 5000 mile trip from Texas to San Fran, Cal and back.

I have added 10K miles to the 85K in 6 months.I have done regualar oil change.

2 days back , the MIL light came on the dash board in my maxima. Now, I still dont have the owners manual or service manual. My friend told me that one can perform a test which gives one the exact reason for the MIL indicator.

Can someone guide me here as to how to perform the test and also the code to read the result of the test.

Thanks
adib

Old 09-05-2001, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by adibmotiwala
Hello,
Im the proud owner of a 1995 Nissan Maxima. I have been quite happy with the performance since i bought it in March 2001. I took it for a 5000 mile trip from Texas to San Fran, Cal and back.

I have added 10K miles to the 85K in 6 months.I have done regualar oil change.

2 days back , the MIL light came on the dash board in my maxima. Now, I still dont have the owners manual or service manual. My friend told me that one can perform a test which gives one the exact reason for the MIL indicator.

Can someone guide me here as to how to perform the test and also the code to read the result of the test.

Thanks
adib
Check Engine Light = Service Engine Soon light = Malfunction Indicator Light.
Three names for the same thing.

The Check Engine Light is evidence that something is wrong. That "something" may be any number of things, some major and some minor. It might be nothing more than a loose fuel filler cap. The Engine Control Module (the computer) detected a problem and turned on the Check Engine Light. At the same time it stored one or more Diagnostic Trouble Codes.

Please read the Sticky ECU Diagnostic Trouble Codes. It will point you to a Web site which provides detailed instructions for doing a Diagnostic Trouble Code readout. The only tool needed is a flat-blade screwdriver.
Old 09-05-2001, 04:26 PM
adibmotiwala

details

Where can i read the ECU diagnostic trouble codes?
Sorry for my ignorance
Please read the Sticky ECU Diagnostic Trouble Codes. It will point you to a Web site which provides detailed instructions for doing a Diagnostic Trouble Code readout. The only tool needed is a flat-blade screwdriver. [/B][/QUOTE]

Old 09-05-2001, 06:14 PM

Re: details

Where can i read the ECU diagnostic trouble codes?
Sorry for my ignorance
I don't understand your question. Are you asking for the location of the Sticky?

When you enter the 4Gen forum (such as to read this post) you see a list of thread titles. The top-most few threads are prefaced with "Sticky:". Look for the one titled Sticky: ECU Diagnostic Trouble Codes. That's the one to read.
Old 09-06-2001, 09:11 AM
adibmotiwala

Got a die hard battery

Hi,
I took my car to a battery shop NTB. They tested the battery and said it was very weak. I had left the leadlights on for 4 hours a few days back. So i got new Die hard battery for 3 yrs warranty for 80$. Is that a decent price. He cahrged 10$ for installation. the checkup was free!

Also , the MIL light is still on . I read the info on that and a site said that it takes 3 TRIPS before that light goes off ( provided the problem is solved). So does it always go off in 3 trips if the problem is fixed or do i RESET it manually.

Thanks
adib

Old 09-06-2001, 01:03 PM

Re: Got a die hard battery

Hi,
I took my car to a battery shop NTB. They tested the battery and said it was very weak. I had left the leadlights on for 4 hours a few days back. So i got new Die hard battery for 3 yrs warranty for 80$. Is that a decent price. He cahrged 10$ for installation. the checkup was free! ...
Are those priced US$ or Cdn$? If US$ they seem high. Most places provide battery installation at no cost.
Old 09-06-2001, 01:10 PM
adibmotiwala

Re: Re: Got a die hard battery

They are in USDollars. Sears had it at the same price.
Where is a good place to get cheap batteries. I am locatedin Dallas Texas

Old 09-06-2001, 01:37 PM

Resetting the ECU should immediately turn off the MIL.