4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Daniel B. Martin. 4-gen brake bleeding...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2001, 03:13 PM
I'm needing a caw

Can I ask you what the 4-gen fsm procedure is for bleeding/flushing the brake system w/ abs? My 3-gen fsm calls for nothing but putting the ign to "off" and disconnecting the abs actuator connectors. This seems to indicate that the fsm wants to make sure the abs is non-functioning while the brakes are bleed/flushed. Bill(evil boy) seems to think that the car should be actually idling and the abs system "active" while you bleed the brakes(his info is from a bmw source) Now my fsm shows the brake circuit as master --> abs actuators --> brake system. It would seem that by doing the recommended bleed/flush procedure in my 3-gen fsm would also flush the abs actuator fluid also(by my diagram) but Bill seems to disagree. I have a concern that if the ign is "on" and the abs is capable of cycling, brake fluid would shoot out of the bleeder valve(potentially). But if this is the only way to flush the fluid out of the abs actuators......?
Old 09-05-2001, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Can I ask you what the 4-gen fsm procedure is for bleeding/flushing the brake system w/ abs? My 3-gen fsm calls for nothing but putting the ign to "off" and disconnecting the abs actuator connectors. This seems to indicate that the fsm wants to make sure the abs is non-functioning while the brakes are bleed/flushed. Bill(evil boy) seems to think that the car should be actually idling and the abs system "active" while you bleed the brakes(his info is from a bmw source) Now my fsm shows the brake circuit as master --> abs actuators --> brake system. It would seem that by doing the recommended bleed/flush procedure in my 3-gen fsm would also flush the abs actuator fluid also(by my diagram) but Bill seems to disagree. I have a concern that if the ign is "on" and the abs is capable of cycling, brake fluid would shoot out of the bleeder valve(potentially). But if this is the only way to flush the fluid out of the abs actuators......?
The '99 Maxima factory service manual makes only one distinction between bleeding ABS brakes and ordinary brakes.

For models with ABS, turn the ignition OFF and disconnect ABS actuator connectors or battery ground cable.
Old 09-05-2001, 06:32 PM
I'm needing a caw

In your opinion, would this factory procedure also flush the fluid through the abs system or not? I tend to say "yes". You? I'm also working on a new(new to .org anyway) way of bleeding the brakes using a pressure(vs vacume or two-man) system. This system will make bleeding a one man system, reduce the chances of running the ms dry and should save time. I'll run it by you when I get a chance to try it out. It's easy to make and cheap to produce.

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
The '99 Maxima factory service manual makes only one distinction between bleeding ABS brakes and ordinary brakes.

For models with ABS, turn the ignition OFF and disconnect ABS actuator connectors or battery ground cable.
Old 09-05-2001, 07:11 PM

Proceed with caution

Originally posted by Jeff92se
In your opinion, would this factory procedure also flush the fluid through the abs system or not? I tend to say "yes". You? I'm also working on a new(new to .org anyway) way of bleeding the brakes using a pressure(vs vacume or two-man) system. This system will make bleeding a one man system, reduce the chances of running the ms dry and should save time. I'll run it by you when I get a chance to try it out. It's easy to make and cheap to produce.

Something in the back of my mind says Don't use a pressure bleeder on an ABS system! I read that somewhere but cannot find it now. It's possible my memory has garbled the details. It's possible that prohibition applied to Hondas or Toyotas but not Nissans. Anyway, proceed with caution...
Old 09-06-2001, 10:14 AM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Proceed with caution

The guy I got the idea from was doing it on a BMW w/ abs so I don't think it's a problem. The psi level is only 15psi or so. Not much. Anyway I did it last night. I'm still trying to determine if it works well or not. It got the old fluid out well enough but it didn't improve the pedal feel enough to satisfy me. This might be an indication of another problem(ie... vacuum booster leak or etc..)

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Something in the back of my mind says Don't use a pressure bleeder on an ABS system! I read that somewhere but cannot find it now. It's possible my memory has garbled the details. It's possible that prohibition applied to Hondas or Toyotas but not Nissans. Anyway, proceed with caution...