4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

how to remove front grille on 97GXE

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2001, 04:29 PM

I opened up my hood to remove my front 1997 maxima Grille, and found 2 bolts...but i wasn't sure how to take them out...a couple of people gave me some ideas but I'm still a little confused as to how they come out. Can someone please explain to me in detail how to remove these screws.
...do I unscrew them from the front part where you can see a flat screw driver screw like head, or from the back which is very weird.

thanks a lot guys.

Old 09-07-2001, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by itsgt
I opened up my hood to remove my front 1997 maxima Grille, and found 2 bolts...but i wasn't sure how to take them out...a couple of people gave me some ideas but I'm still a little confused as to how they come out. Can someone please explain to me in detail how to remove these screws.
...do I unscrew them from the front part where you can see a flat screw driver screw like head, or from the back which is very weird.

thanks a lot guys.

www.gt-x-designs/newmaxima/index.asp
Directions out of the Chilton manual:
1)Open and support the hood.
2)Locate the grille attaching clips.
3)Using a long, straight bladed screwdriver, reach in through the grille and rotate the attaching clips 1/4 turn. This will align the square head of the clip with the square hole in the grille.
4)Carefully remove the grille from the vehicle.

I believe the grill has 4 clips and maybe a couple of screws where the Nissan burger is.
Old 09-08-2001, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by Ravq

Directions out of the Chilton manual:
1)Open and support the hood.
2)Locate the grille attaching clips.
3)Using a long, straight bladed screwdriver, reach in through the grille and rotate the attaching clips 1/4 turn. This will align the square head of the clip with the square hole in the grille.
4)Carefully remove the grille from the vehicle.

I believe the grill has 4 clips and maybe a couple of screws where the Nissan burger is.
ok thanks, that really helped me. but there's only 2 clips holding the grille.

l8er
Old 09-08-2001, 02:56 PM

Grille removal instructions

Raise the hood. Locate two plastic fasteners in the upper corners of the grille. They look like black square slotted screw heads. Insert a small flat-blade screwdriver into the slot and turn CCW 1/8 turn to release the clip. Gently tug the grille upward and outward. Elapsed time, 30 seconds.

Installation is almost as easy. The two plastic fasteners stayed in the car. Use a small pair of pliers to squeeze the legs together, and remove them. Insert the square heads into the hole in the grille, working from the back of the grille. Turn 1/8 turn to click into place. Place the grille into the vehicle body, taking care to line up the locating pins near the lower edge of the grille. Gently push those two plastic fasteners into their respective mounting holes. Snap! The job is done. Elapsed time, 60 seconds.
Old 09-08-2001, 07:22 PM

Re: Grille removal instructions

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Raise the hood. Locate two plastic fasteners in the upper corners of the grille. They look like black square slotted screw heads. Insert a small flat-blade screwdriver into the slot and turn CCW 1/8 turn to release the clip. Gently tug the grille upward and outward. Elapsed time, 30 seconds.

Installation is almost as easy. The two plastic fasteners stayed in the car. Use a small pair of pliers to squeeze the legs together, and remove them. Insert the square heads into the hole in the grille, working from the back of the grille. Turn 1/8 turn to click into place. Place the grille into the vehicle body, taking care to line up the locating pins near the lower edge of the grille. Gently push those two plastic fasteners into their respective mounting holes. Snap! The job is done. Elapsed time, 60 seconds.
hi,
thanks i was successful in removing the grille.