4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Airbag prob.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2001, 07:48 PM

My airbag light began blinking again. I followed the instructions that were posted here about reseting it, it worked, but that was almost 1 month ago. Last week it went off again. I tried reseting it again today - didn't work. The light just won't reset. I tried everything, but the thing just keeps blinking. Can anyone please give me some feedback on this, I really want to avoid taking it to a Dealer. Those bastards will charge an arm and a leg for it!
Is it me, or is this happening often on Maximas? I noticed quite a few people with this problem.

PS
I have a 98 Max SE 5spd, if it helps to determine the prob.

Thanks a lot to all!
Old 09-09-2001, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by Riot^
My airbag light began blinking again. I followed the instructions that were posted here about reseting it, it worked, but that was almost 1 month ago. Last week it went off again. I tried reseting it again today - didn't work. The light just won't reset. I tried everything, but the thing just keeps blinking. Can anyone please give me some feedback on this, I really want to avoid taking it to a Dealer. Those bastards will charge an arm and a leg for it!
Is it me, or is this happening often on Maximas? I noticed quite a few people with this problem.

PS
I have a 98 Max SE 5spd, if it helps to determine the prob.

Thanks a lot to all!
Nissan dealers are honest and competent businessmen. Your local friendly Nissan dealer will repair your car and charge a fair price for the service.
Old 09-09-2001, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Nissan dealers are honest and competent businessmen. Your local friendly Nissan dealer will repair your car and charge a fair price for the service.
I really beg to differ with the term 'fair price' ... if you call changing 1 rear bulb for $35, and a trasmission fluid flush for $115 fair well.....

Anyways I also noticed there being somewhat of a problem with the airbags in maxima's..... Mine were personally great to me and saved me from a lot of chest pain from the seat belt when my 96' se was totaled, but I have a friend whose (98 gle) deployed 5 seconds after the accident causing more harm than help, and I've also heard that same complaint on this board... I would have the dealer look at it, even if it is a lot of money better to spend it on the airbag now than on hospital bills later; unfortunately they can't tell for sure if they would work or not unless they deploy them.... Better safe than sorry.

-Nate
Old 09-09-2001, 10:03 PM

They are not fair

Originally posted by nforg

I really beg to differ with the term 'fair price' ... if you call changing 1 rear bulb for $35, and a trasmission fluid flush for $115 fair well.....

Anyways I also noticed there being somewhat of a problem with the airbags in maxima's..... Mine were personally great to me and saved me from a lot of chest pain from the seat belt when my 96' se was totaled, but I have a friend whose (98 gle) deployed 5 seconds after the accident causing more harm than help, and I've also heard that same complaint on this board... I would have the dealer look at it, even if it is a lot of money better to spend it on the airbag now than on hospital bills later; unfortunately they can't tell for sure if they would work or not unless they deploy them.... Better safe than sorry.

-Nate
I laughed at the salesman or mechanic, whoever it was that estimated the price to repair a few scratches on my car. They wanted to cherge me $1700CA, I ended up at the Chrystler dealership, and they did it for half that! And it was an amazing job too! (It was through insurance, but still)
I just hate that damn light blinking all the time, and I see a lot of people with Airbag probs on Maximas. You'd think eventually Nissan will recall them or something. I am gonna call the dealership, or Nissan, and ***** at them about this... who knows!?
Why didn't your friend sue them if the bag went off 5sec after the accident? Isn't the point of the bag to save lives?