4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Who here has replaced their own clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2001, 08:31 PM

Alright, since I need a new clutch, I'm gonna replace it myself. Its gonna take me a few days, but I figure I better do it before winter time while its still nice out and I can ride a motorcycle. Anyway, since the Quaife LSD is also on the brink of coming out, and my Y pipe is still off the car, I might as well go all the way and replace the clutch.

I took out the transmission on my old Camry before, so dropping transmissions is nothing new to me. I'm probably gonna get an ACT clutch. While I'm at it, I want to get the LSD from Quaife/Cattman but its mad expensive, however, I do feel a FWD POSI would be very nice, especially with one that has nothing to wear.

In the process, I also want to either get the OE flywheel lightened, or an aftermarket one. And, I'll get the polyurethane motormounts as well to tighten up the wheelie hop.

So, in short, I know how to remove a FWD transmission and have done it before, just never on a Maxima. Anything to look out for?
Old 09-09-2001, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by ericdwong
Alright, since I need a new clutch, I'm gonna replace it myself. Its gonna take me a few days, but I figure I better do it before winter time while its still nice out and I can ride a motorcycle. Anyway, since the Quaife LSD is also on the brink of coming out, and my Y pipe is still off the car, I might as well go all the way and replace the clutch.

I took out the transmission on my old Camry before, so dropping transmissions is nothing new to me. I'm probably gonna get an ACT clutch. While I'm at it, I want to get the LSD from Quaife/Cattman but its mad expensive, however, I do feel a FWD POSI would be very nice, especially with one that has nothing to wear.

In the process, I also want to either get the OE flywheel lightened, or an aftermarket one. And, I'll get the polyurethane motormounts as well to tighten up the wheelie hop.

So, in short, I know how to remove a FWD transmission and have done it before, just never on a Maxima. Anything to look out for?
Go to http://www.motorvate.ca/
In the left hand window click on Transmission.
In the left hand window click on Clutch Replacement.

This is an excellent Web site for the home mechanic. You may enjoy browsing all of it.