4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help - Need help with paint issue.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2001, 11:36 PM

I am currently repainting my stock grill. It was all faded(from that harsh AZ sun) and looked pretty bad so I thought I'd give it a shot. It looks pretty good for a rattle can job but I have a question. Will the paint last very long if I just apply 3-4 coats or do I need to use a coat or two of clear-coat? Also will the clear-coat be glossy even without polishing or what. Thanks in advance for the input.

Miguel
Old 09-16-2001, 12:16 AM

Also

The chrome colored plastic on my grill is all knicked and doesn't look very nice. Is there something that can be done about this? Thanks

Miguel
Old 09-16-2001, 12:18 AM

Originally posted by Miguel97GLE
I am currently repainting my stock grill. It was all faded(from that harsh AZ sun) and looked pretty bad so I thought I'd give it a shot. It looks pretty good for a rattle can job but I have a question. Will the paint last very long if I just apply 3-4 coats or do I need to use a coat or two of clear-coat? Also will the clear-coat be glossy even without polishing or what. Thanks in advance for the input.

Miguel
This may be some help... I repainted the front bumper and the hood of my last car - Mitsi Magna 3.0 5 spd - after a run in with a fence post on the farm. The plastic bumper came up real nice after 3 coats of paint and 2 of clear. BUT, the hood was a real *****. The primer on some parts of it reacted with the new paint and went all gungy. It was terrible, sort of all congeiled. I don't know why it did this.
Also, don't buy a can of paint mixed to the manufacturers code, get it colour matched with the hood because there WILL be a difference in colour if you get the unmatched paint. The place I got the paint from did the match for free and it cost 40 NZD for the paint and clearcoat. There is always more clear coat than paint because its quite thick and takes quite heavy coats to get it looking right - ie smooth and glossy while its wet is enough. Youll see when you do it.
Old 09-16-2001, 12:58 AM

Thx NZ but...

Originally posted by NZ Max

This may be some help... I repainted the front bumper and the hood of my last car - Mitsi Magna 3.0 5 spd - after a run in with a fence post on the farm. The plastic bumper came up real nice after 3 coats of paint and 2 of clear. BUT, the hood was a real *****. The primer on some parts of it reacted with the new paint and went all gungy. It was terrible, sort of all congeiled. I don't know why it did this.
Also, don't buy a can of paint mixed to the manufacturers code, get it colour matched with the hood because there WILL be a difference in colour if you get the unmatched paint. The place I got the paint from did the match for free and it cost 40 NZD for the paint and clearcoat. There is always more clear coat than paint because its quite thick and takes quite heavy coats to get it looking right - ie smooth and glossy while its wet is enough. Youll see when you do it.

I'm painting the grill not the hood. I just want it too last and dont want it to be all glossy.