4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Attn:d.b.m!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2001, 07:27 PM

Attn:d.b.m!!!!!!!!

hello, itz me again with the broken tranny. i just got my new tranny, and it is leaking, i was woundering if the shop put too much oil in the tranny, cuz they told me they filled 10qt. if they filled up too much do i just let it leak until it is not leaking?? thanx
Old 09-22-2001, 10:42 PM

An overfilled transmission will "ooze" ATF from the relief seals (so I have been told). So if it is really overfilled, it will loose ATF until it is back at the proper level. But running too high ATF isn't good since it can cause the oil to froth and you will lose lubricant protection.

Have you checked your ATF level? Look in your owners manual for the proper procedure.
Old 09-23-2001, 11:03 AM

Re: Attn:d.b.m!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by BrokenMotor
hello, itz me again with the broken tranny. i just got my new tranny, and it is leaking, i was woundering if the shop put too much oil in the tranny, cuz they told me they filled 10qt. if they filled up too much do i just let it leak until it is not leaking?? thanx
Check the ATF level with the dipstick. If it is too full, drain the excess immediately. Running with an over-full tranny is harmful. The Owner's Manual says, in bold print Caution! Do not overfill.
Old 09-23-2001, 11:05 AM
SLOW

I dont know if you are auto or 5 speed... but i know my 5 speed takes 4.6 quarts.
Old 09-23-2001, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
I dont know if you are auto or 5 speed... but i know my 5 speed takes 4.6 quarts.
I don't recall which tranny BrokenMotor has in his Maxima. Maybe he specifies it in his signature, but I run with "sigs off" because I don't care to look at the same photos over and over and over again...

It's almost impossible to overfill a 5-speed transaxle because the fill port is also an overflow. 10 quarts is the capacity of the automatic transmission. If the shop put in 10 quarts the tranny must be an automatic.
Old 09-23-2001, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
I don't recall which tranny BrokenMotor has in his Maxima. Maybe he specifies it in his signature, but I run with "sigs off" because I don't care to look at the same photos over and over and over again...

It's almost impossible to overfill a 5-speed transaxle because the fill port is also an overflow. 10 quarts is the capacity of the automatic transmission. If the shop put in 10 quarts the tranny must be an automatic.
i have a 5-speed, and they(shop) know i have a 5-speed. the thing is now it is leaking from "striking rod oil seal" i believe too much oil costed the seal to bust. how hard it is to change it?
Old 09-23-2001, 02:21 PM

Striking Rod Oil Seal

i have a 5-speed, and they(shop) know i have a 5-speed. the thing is now it is leaking from "striking rod oil seal" i believe too much oil costed the seal to bust. how hard it is to change it?
I swear I posted an answer to this question two hours ago but it isn't here. Perhaps the Internet Troll ate it.

The Striking Rod Oil Seal is also called the Control Rod Oil Seal. Overfilling the tranny does not cause this seal to leak. Underfilling the tranny won't stop it from leaking. If it leaks, it must be replaced. It may be replaced with the transmission in the vehicle.

1) Raise the car and support it on sturdy jackstands.

2) Remove the shifter control rod from the yoke (nut and bolt).

3) Use a hammer and punch to remove the retaining pin. Take care to avoid damaging the boot.

4) Use hammer and chisel to remove the Control Rod Oil Seal.

5) Apply multipurpose grease to the seal lip of the new seal, and then position it for installation.

6) Use a hammer and a deep socket of suitable size to drive the seal into place.

7) Install the retaining pin.

8) Reconnect the shifter control rod. Torque to 12 foot-pounds.

Please refer to the Haynes repair manual, page 7A-3.
Old 09-23-2001, 02:33 PM

i have a 5-speed, and they(shop) know i have a 5-speed. ...
Look at your invoice. If the shop charged you for 10 quarts of transmission lube, they overcharged you.