4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

newbie help with always on cruise control mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2001, 03:44 PM

newbie help with always on cruise control mod

i'm getting hung up on the instructions located here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=45742

step 1 reads:
1) Open the hood. Locate Relay Box #1, the black relay box on the passenger's side of the engine compartment. Note the labels on the exterior top of the plastic relay box cover. Identify the position of the ASCD relay. ASCD = Automatic Speed Control Device. That's the Nissan name for Cruise Control.

I don't have any relays labeled ASCD. alledgedly this is a blue relay, but the only blue ones i have are A/C, FR Fog Lights, Horn 2
and Horn 3.

if the fuse panel looks like this from the side of the car:

7890AB

then relays 6,7,9, and B are all blue. i'm guessing Horn 2 or 3 is what i'm looking for, but i don't want to start jumping random terminals

can someone tell me what location the ASCD relay is in their car, or what i might be misunderstanding about these instructions?

thanks

Mike

Old 09-28-2001, 03:54 PM

Re: newbie help with always on cruise control mod

Originally posted by 98maxse5spd
i'm getting hung up on the instructions located here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=45742

step 1 reads:
1) Open the hood. Locate Relay Box #1, the black relay box on the passenger's side of the engine compartment. Note the labels on the exterior top of the plastic relay box cover. Identify the position of the ASCD relay. ASCD = Automatic Speed Control Device. That's the Nissan name for Cruise Control.

I don't have any relays labeled ASCD. alledgedly this is a blue relay, but the only blue ones i have are A/C, FR Fog Lights, Horn 2
and Horn 3.

if the fuse panel looks like this from the side of the car:

7890AB

then relays 6,7,9, and B are all blue. i'm guessing Horn 2 or 3 is what i'm looking for, but i don't want to start jumping random terminals

can someone tell me what location the ASCD relay is in their car, or what i might be misunderstanding about these instructions?

thanks

Mike

On my car the ASCD relay is in position 0 on your map. What does the legend on the relay box cover say about that position?

You could temporarily remove the relay in position 0 and see if the Cruise Control is disabled. If so, that is the right relay for this mod.
Old 09-28-2001, 04:08 PM

Re: Re: newbie help with always on cruise control mod

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
On my car the ASCD relay is in position 0 on your map. What does the legend on the relay box cover say about that position?

You could temporarily remove the relay in position 0 and see if the Cruise Control is disabled. If so, that is the right relay for this mod.
Daniel,

position 0 is an ABS relay, and i don't have ABS so there is nothing there. i suppose i could pull them one at a time until the cruise stops working. any other ideas?

on an unrelated note, position A is labeled "CORN LAMP". what the f does that stand for?

Mike
Old 09-28-2001, 04:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: newbie help with always on cruise control mod

Daniel,

position 0 is an ABS relay, and i don't have ABS so there is nothing there. i suppose i could pull them one at a time until the cruise stops working. any other ideas?

on an unrelated note, position A is labeled "CORN LAMP". what the f does that stand for?

Mike
Corner lamp....or cornering lights
Old 09-28-2001, 06:38 PM

WTF?!?! Mine says Creamed Corn Lamp

Doh!
Old 09-29-2001, 07:40 AM

Re: Re: Re: newbie help with always on cruise control mod

Daniel,

Mike
My instructions for the Cruise Control "Always Ready" modification are based on the '99 Maxima factory service manual, and on personal experience. I made this mod on Plain Jane when she was new and it has always worked perfectly. Therefore I am confident of the instructions for a '99 Maxima.

Several other Maxima.Org members reported success with this mod with various model years including a '90 Maxima. I made this same mod on the '87 Stanza which I drove before buying Plain Jane.

I can't explain why your '98 Maxima is different from the '99. There is another relay box in the engine compartment, immediately in front of the battery. Please look at the map on the cover of that relay box to see if it contains the ASCD relay.
Old 09-29-2001, 08:45 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: newbie help with always on cruise control mod

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin

I can't explain why your '98 Maxima is different from the '99. There is another relay box in the engine compartment, immediately in front of the battery. Please look at the map on the cover of that relay box to see if it contains the ASCD relay.
Bingo! i was looking for it in the smaller box to the right of the battery yesterday, and missed this other fuse box. it looks like this:

and my ASCD fuse is in position 3. thanks for the help Daniel. btw, for my own info, what does the "EGI" relay for? also, i see 3 horn relays and 3 rad fan relays. are those all used for horns and rad fans?

thanks

mike
Old 09-29-2001, 09:00 AM

Relay mysteries

... btw, for my own info, what does the "EGI" relay for? also, i see 3 horn relays and 3 rad fan relays. are those all used for horns and rad fans? ...
I'm baffled by those designations. I think the EGI relay is part of the electronic engine management system. If that relay is bad the car won't run at all.
Old 09-30-2001, 05:22 PM

98maxse5spd and Daniel B. Martin. I did the always-on conversion several weeks ago on my '98 I30T. I was first stumped as the fuse box in the instructions didn't match up with what I had. I did a little snooping and found a smaller fuse box located just in front of the battery. From there it was following the instructions as listed in the sticky. The convenient part of the application in my case was there was a blank spot in the fuse box to hold the relay
that became displace.

Again, Daniel B. Martin and all who put so much of their time in this bulletin board, THANK YOU. You guys are super.
Old 09-30-2001, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by I30TinME
98maxse5spd and Daniel B. Martin. I did the always-on conversion several weeks ago on my '98 I30T. I was first stumped as the fuse box in the instructions didn't match up with what I had. I did a little snooping and found a smaller fuse box located just in front of the battery. From there it was following the instructions as listed in the sticky.
Ditto that here. I followed the instructions and didn't find the ASCD relay in the specified relay box in my 97 SE 5 speed. It was in the other one, in front of the battery. Never reported my finding back, though.
Old 09-30-2001, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by jargoone
Ditto that here. I followed the instructions and didn't find the ASCD relay in the specified relay box in my 97 SE 5 speed. It was in the other one, in front of the battery. Never reported my finding back, though.
Thanks to you and I30TinME, and 98maxse5spd for this feedback. Now that I know more about the relay location I will change the instructions and forward them to Bill99GXE for updating the Sticky Thread.