4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Change tranny fluid..............D-I-Y ????

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2000, 08:21 AM

Have you done this yourself? Just a drain plug and a fill up? Just like changing the oil, or more complicated? Do you recommend the Red Line fluid or is there another that does the job for less $?
Thanks.
Sean
Old 10-30-2000, 10:23 AM

I've done this myself. It's not bad at all.
The only things that I thought were a pain was filling
it back up. It's kind of awkward trying to put the oil through that filler plug.

I know of some who were able to pour the oil directly in the plug, but I thought this was too awkward for me. So I went to an auto parts store that sold a funnel with a long tube. This allowed me to pour the oil in from under the hood rather than under the car.

The only way you can tell that its full is when the oil starts coming out of the tranny via the filler plug - another inconvenience.

But like I said, when all is said and done, its pretty easy to do it yourself.

I personally use Redline myself. Since I go to the track once in a blue moon, I thought the "extra insurance" would be worth it.
Old 10-30-2000, 10:31 AM

Thanks

Well, I'm just over 70k on my 97 Auto. Is now a good time to do this?
Old 10-30-2000, 12:04 PM

That only applies with the 5-spd though. For the auto, you just add through the fluid dipstick tube.

Originally posted by vbxmaxima
I've done this myself. It's not bad at all.
The only things that I thought were a pain was filling
it back up. It's kind of awkward trying to put the oil through that filler plug.

I know of some who were able to pour the oil directly in the plug, but I thought this was too awkward for me. So I went to an auto parts store that sold a funnel with a long tube. This allowed me to pour the oil in from under the hood rather than under the car.

The only way you can tell that its full is when the oil starts coming out of the tranny via the filler plug - another inconvenience.

But like I said, when all is said and done, its pretty easy to do it yourself.

I personally use Redline myself. Since I go to the track once in a blue moon, I thought the "extra insurance" would be worth it.
Old 10-30-2000, 12:24 PM

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by Bernie Lomax
Well, I'm just over 70k on my 97 Auto. Is now a good time to do this?

Auto? Oops...sorry Bernie
I was talking about a 5 spd.
Old 10-30-2000, 05:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I was wondering the same thing. Check out this link. Nobody has given me a positive greenlight on this method though. But it sounds good.

<A HREF="https://maxima.org/forums/showthread.phtml?threadid=6062">Link To Auto Tranny Fluid Change Thread</A>

ZuM
Old 10-30-2000, 05:19 PM

Interesting...

Thanks Zum... but all this info just makes me put it off further. What did you finally do? I might just have my mechanic do it when I go there for the brakes(for the second time).
Old 10-30-2000, 06:33 PM

I'm still putting it off.. =) I just got an e-mail from Don. And he said to just change the fluid 3 separate times using the "normal" method. I have no idea how to do the normal method. So I just e-mailed him back asking. Keep you posted. He said change once. You change about 4 quarts. Wait 2 weeks change again.. and in another 2 weeks again. I would probably cut this down to 1 week each if I drive enough.

ZuM
Old 10-30-2000, 07:10 PM

Are you wanting to drain and fill or flush your tranny? I heard that it is pretty easy to drain and fill, but to flush you have to have a machine that sucks the fluid out of the lines. I kind of asked the same qeustion, just look at my past post under TRANSMISSION FLUID.
Old 10-30-2000, 07:52 PM

I guess Don was trying to say Drain and Fill it three times is like doing 1 flush.

ZuM
Old 10-31-2000, 12:28 AM
mrloyd

Bernie

Are you saying that you have 70k and havn't changed your fluid? If this is the case, take it to a shop and get it flushed. The language of this is confusing and shops will try to confuse sometimes. A drain and fill is just draining the fluid out of the tranny, then refilling. It only removes about 4-5 of the 9 quarts, the rest stays in the torque converter. A flush uses a machine which somehow puts pressure in there and removes all the fluid. Drain and fill should cost between 25 and 50 bucks. Flush and fill should cost between 60 and 100 bucks. If you havn't changed yet, get a flush. I had mine done recently. I chose kmart auto center cause they used the same machine as both the local nissan dealers. Kmart charget me 80, nissan wanted 100 or 120. Kmart just lowered price to 70 too. I try to get drain and fill once per year or about every 10-15k, and will get flush about every 30-50. The problem with drain is that the fluid you leave in there pollutes the new fluid. If you want to do the drain and fill your self, it is really easy. Get a big drain pan and crack open the drain plug, which is under tranny on drivers side. Let drain, then retighten to 22-29 ft-lbs, use a torque wrench! If you don't have one borrow one from auto parts store. Then use long funnel to refill. Since you havn't removed all the fluid, you won't know how much to put in, so go slow, adding a little at a time till appropriate mark on dipstick is reached. Do not overfill like said above. This causes frothing of fluid which is bad. Also, since you did not change all fulid, using redline would not provide the benefit it should. Anyway, to sum up, get the flush if hasn't been done, otherwise, diy, really easy.

Old 10-31-2000, 06:58 AM
Wayne

Hey mrloyd what is the address of the kmart again. You told me on saturday but I forgot. Thanks

Old 10-31-2000, 05:22 PM
mrloyd

kmart

The one i went to was at pleasant hill and club drive. If you take the phill exit off 85N just go right and its right there. Any kmart with a penske auto center will do it. There's another one over on jimmy carter i think

Old 10-31-2000, 05:27 PM

Re: kmart

Originally posted by mrloyd
The one i went to was at pleasant hill and club drive. If you take the phill exit off 85N just go right and its right there. Any kmart with a penske auto center will do it. There's another one over on jimmy carter i think
"...a block past Maple, that's John F. Kennedy Drive."

"Who the hell is John F. Kennedy?"
Old 10-31-2000, 06:14 PM
mrloyd

What is "Back to the Future?" What do i win, and what the hell are you talking about?