4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

rear shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2000, 08:30 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Last week I installed H&R's over the stock shocks. While driving over harsh bumps i notice a metal to metal sound coming from the rear. I finally realized that it was the rear shocks were rising up past the washer plate on top of the assembly. I tightend the nuts as tight as possible and i also put rubber washers with lockwashers on the thing and its still bothering the hell out of me. Has anyone ran into this problem before.
Old 10-30-2000, 08:33 AM
The missing moderator

Originally posted by md53
Last week I installed H&R's over the stock shocks. While driving over harsh bumps i notice a metal to metal sound coming from the rear. I finally realized that it was the rear shocks were rising up past the washer plate on top of the assembly. I tightend the nuts as tight as possible and i also put rubber washers with lockwashers on the thing and its still bothering the hell out of me. Has anyone ran into this problem before.
It's possible that the springs are not seated properly on the spring perch. You may want to check that. Also, don't tighten those nuts as tight as you can, only about 25ft-lbs if I rmember correctly, those will snap off pretty easily.

-Shing
Old 10-30-2000, 08:38 AM

yes same exact problem...

i had the H&R's installed with my stock struts. They did make the same noises you hear. Its because the struts cannot handle the load of the car being alot lower than stock. After a week or so they eventrually popped and leaked air. So i had tokico's installed front and back and the car rides awsome, great handeling and firm ride.
hope this helps,
ny96maxse
anthony
Old 10-30-2000, 10:11 AM
The missing moderator

Re: yes same exact problem...

Actually, I when I first installed the HR in my car, I ran the stock struts. They lasted for the 10k miles I had them in there. ride sucked, but it's probably just as bad as the tokicos are giving me right now.

-Shging

Originally posted by ny96maxse
i had the H&R's installed with my stock struts. They did make the same noises you hear. Its because the struts cannot handle the load of the car being alot lower than stock. After a week or so they eventrually popped and leaked air. So i had tokico's installed front and back and the car rides awsome, great handeling and firm ride.
hope this helps,
ny96maxse
anthony