4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Some problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2001, 11:03 AM
adibmotiwala

Some problems

Hello,

I had posted to this message board a month ago when the check engine light OR MIL came on. I got my battery checked and replaced it with a DIe hard battery. However the MIL stayed on. I put off the light manualy with instructions from a related site.

Now, I have the foll problems
1)The MIL light comes on sometimes during the course of a day.
2)When i try to cheeck for code, the Light just goes off instead of blikning and givinfg me the code

3)when i start the car by ignition, the car dies or shuts off. I need to press the accelerator for some time and then only i can drive.

4)THe car engine is kinda slow. I mean, when i stop at a light and then take off my leg from the brake peddel, the car does not move in front though it is automatic transmission. I need to press the accelerator.

Can some one tell me what the problem could be. I know taht I need to replace the AirFilter as that was detected in walmart(i went for oil change 2 weeks back)

The place where i got the battery replaced told me the alternator could be bad.

Please advice.DO i need a complete tuneup. the car is 95 maxima wit 97,000 miles.

Thanks
adib

Old 10-02-2001, 11:15 AM

Try again

Originally posted by adibmotiwala
Hello,

I had posted to this message board a month ago when the check engine light OR MIL came on. I got my battery checked and replaced it with a DIe hard battery. However the MIL stayed on. I put off the light manualy with instructions from a related site.

Now, I have the foll problems
1)The MIL light comes on sometimes during the course of a day.
2)When i try to cheeck for code, the Light just goes off instead of blikning and givinfg me the code

3)when i start the car by ignition, the car dies or shuts off. I need to press the accelerator for some time and then only i can drive.

4)THe car engine is kinda slow. I mean, when i stop at a light and then take off my leg from the brake peddel, the car does not move in front though it is automatic transmission. I need to press the accelerator.

Can some one tell me what the problem could be. I know taht I need to replace the AirFilter as that was detected in walmart(i went for oil change 2 weeks back)

The place where i got the battery replaced told me the alternator could be bad.

Please advice.DO i need a complete tuneup. the car is 95 maxima wit 97,000 miles.

Thanks
adib
Check Engine Light = Service Engine Soon light = Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL).
Three names for the same thing.

When the MIL turns on, that means the Engine Control Module has set one or more Diagnostic Trouble Codes for subsequent retrieval. If you attempt a readout and get no codes, you are doing something wrong. Even if you had inadvertently reset the ECM, you would have got DTC 0505.

Next time the MIL turns on do a DTC readout. Follow the instructions carefully. Post your findings on this thread.