4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

<needs urgent help with eibach setup..please reply asap.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2001, 04:56 PM

<needs urgent help with eibach setup..please reply asap.

my car is STILL in the shop on a lift. these guys don't want to install my rear springs the way i was told i should have them. i was told by the previous owner of the springs that the word EIBACH should be facing up on the spring and not upside down. i called both the eibach and tokico tech lines and both agree that i should have the stamping EIBACH facing up, the progressive coils on the bottom. however, when i look at it that way, the lower coil wants to fall off the lower perch of the shock when at full droop! even the garage doesn't want to install it that way! am i hallucinating? when mounted upside down it fits the perch fine, but i get a ton of noise from the upper mount. maybe its just the rubber pad that needs replacing? i'm afraid if i have them install it "right side up" i might have an accident cornering at 80mph because of the spring falling off the perch!
so anyway, a fellow BBS member sent me a pic of his setup. and he had his springs "upside down," the way i had them originally!! ugh! apparently he has no problems. when they're upside down like that the rear end sits slightly lower than the front and i get noises (on my ride). can somebody please go look at the way their eibach rears springs are installed and tell me how you have them oriented, which way the progresive coils are pointing, if the word EIBACH is upside down or right side up and tell me the proper way to have them sitting on my shocks! thanks a ton! i need answers by tomorrow otherwise i'm gonna go nuts without my car one more day.
Old 10-02-2001, 05:07 PM

Re: <needs urgent help with eibach setup..please reply asap.

can somebody please go look at the way their eibach rears springs are installed and tell me how you have them oriented, which way the progresive coils are pointing, if the word EIBACH is upside down or right side up and tell me the proper way to have them sitting on my shocks!

I installed my eibachs 3 weeks ago. The lettering was up so you could read it when installed on the perch. It fit perfectly. Maybe eibach F-ed up, but how? Aren't they mass produced, If they were made one by one I could see some fool putting the logo upside down.

Dang, I dunno, your gonna have to install them so they fit on the shock, screw the lettering I guess.
Old 10-02-2001, 05:20 PM

Re: Re: <needs urgent help with eibach setup..please reply asap.

Originally posted by BRIGBOY
can somebody please go look at the way their eibach rears springs are installed and tell me how you have them oriented, which way the progresive coils are pointing, if the word EIBACH is upside down or right side up and tell me the proper way to have them sitting on my shocks!

I installed my eibachs 3 weeks ago. The lettering was up so you could read it when installed on the perch. It fit perfectly. Maybe eibach F-ed up, but how? Aren't they mass produced, If they were made one by one I could see some fool putting the logo upside down.

Dang, I dunno, your gonna have to install them so they fit on the shock, screw the lettering I guess.
that's what i thought. the lettering might have been screwed up by the factory. when they're installed "upside down" on my ride, the progressive springs (the tighter coils) are on TOP!! is this correct? however, the previous owner of the springs said i should mount them "right side up" and that it should work, "trust me" he said. then the other BBS member shows me a pic of them installed the way i orginally had them (tight coils on top). i'm so confused now! quick help.
Old 10-02-2001, 05:41 PM

OK

I just went out front for ya with a flashlight, all my neighbors think I'm trippin. Anyways, its hard to tell, and I can't really remember which coils went up or down, but from the looks of my rear eibachs, the tight coils go up top. Once the weight of the car is on them, they are so tight that about 5 coils or more are touching at the top. There is only space in between the lower coils.

When the rear assembly is assembled, before it is placed back in the tower, the lower coils are disturbingly close to the edges of the perch. You just have to make sure they are even all the way around, and when they are compressed by the weight of the car, they won't move. Make sure they tighten your center bolts good and tight to ensure the spring is locked on the perch.

Lettering up.
Old 10-02-2001, 06:00 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

My H&Rs were like that as well. Coils were pointing up, definately!
Old 10-03-2001, 02:50 AM

Re: OK

Originally posted by BRIGBOY
I just went out front for ya with a flashlight, all my neighbors think I'm trippin. Anyways, its hard to tell, and I can't really remember which coils went up or down, but from the looks of my rear eibachs, the tight coils go up top. Once the weight of the car is on them, they are so tight that about 5 coils or more are touching at the top. There is only space in between the lower coils.

When the rear assembly is assembled, before it is placed back in the tower, the lower coils are disturbingly close to the edges of the perch. You just have to make sure they are even all the way around, and when they are compressed by the weight of the car, they won't move. Make sure they tighten your center bolts good and tight to ensure the spring is locked on the perch.

Lettering up.
this is conflicting advice. on my car the progressive (tighter) coils were on top and the lettering was upside down! when i have them "upside down" like that, there's no problem of the spring seating on the lower perch, but i did get a horrible noise up top and the shop said that it destroyed the rubber pads mounted like that. i'm afraid to install them "right side up" (progressive coils on the bottom) cause the lower coil barely sits on the perch and appears to want to fall through. both the shock and spring match the manufacturer's parts list. the previous owner told me to mount them "right side up." so which way to they go? think safety. thanks.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:40 PM

i just installed my eibachs on agxs and i have the eibach lettering facing out and right side up if that helps at all
Old 09-11-2009, 02:00 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by ADHDmax
i just installed my eibachs on agxs and i have the eibach lettering facing out and right side up if that helps at all
I'm sure it would, if this thread wasn't 8 YEARS OLD.

Did you read the date before you posted?
Old 09-12-2009, 04:18 AM
Sold

Originally Posted by pmohr
I'm sure it would, if this thread wasn't 8 YEARS OLD.

Did you read the date before you posted?
probably not. did you notice his post count? 17. nuff said.