4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Did something very dumb, please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2001, 05:22 PM

Did something very dumb, please help

I was very careless in jacking up my car. It rolled off the jack with the front right wheel removed. Landed on suspension and brake rotor. Did not appear to be very damaged. When I put the wheel back on and rolled back and forth a little, it feels like wheel is oval shaped. How bad have I f***ed up? Any ideas on what I have damaged? How can I check? Should I just goto a shop and handover thousands of dollars? Feeling very stupid. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Old 10-02-2001, 05:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Shop time it is...

I would go to the shop were I you. It sounds like maybe you bent a suspension component. Atleast get an estimate and ask how bad it is. After all, even handing over "thousands" of dollars is better than losing control and meeting in an accident. Right? Keep in mind nobody here can tell you your problem because nobody here can see it. Maybe pics would help, but I think you will need to see a mechanic.
-Cyrus
Old 10-02-2001, 05:35 PM

Re: Shop time it is...

Originally posted by Vyrus
I would go to the shop were I you. It sounds like maybe you bent the rear beam. Atleast get an estimate and ask how bad it is. After all, even handing over "thousands" of dollars is better than losing control and meeting in an accident. Right? Keep in mind nobody here can tell you your problem because nobody here can see it. Maybe pics would help, but I think you will need to see a mechanic.
-Cyrus

I think a bent rear beam is unlikely since his front rotor hit the ground.

It is possible you bent a suspension component, perhaps the tie rod. Have it checked out by the shop. You are right...any cost in repairs is better than driving an unsafe car.
Old 10-02-2001, 05:44 PM

Whoops...

Sorry I don't know what I was thinking .
Old 10-02-2001, 05:45 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

This happen to me before. I did the same thing that you did. I took it to firestone and only the plate shifted. So I was lucky. Good Luck.
Old 10-02-2001, 05:58 PM
mb1

I would cry if that ever happened to me.... seriously.

You should always secure your rear wheels wheels when jacking up the car.(for future reference)
Old 10-02-2001, 06:58 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by mb1
I would cry if that ever happened to me.... seriously.

You should always secure your rear wheels wheels when jacking up the car.(for future reference)
Old 10-02-2001, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by amixam98
This happen to me before. I did the same thing that you did. I took it to firestone and only the plate shifted. So I was lucky. Good Luck.
The plate shifted? What plate??
Old 10-02-2001, 07:19 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
The plate shifted? What plate??
Rotors? I dun remember, but it's running fine. What do you think it is DMB?
Old 10-02-2001, 07:31 PM

Diagnostic suggestions

Originally posted by Opington
I was very careless in jacking up my car. It rolled off the jack with the front right wheel removed. Landed on suspension and brake rotor. Did not appear to be very damaged. When I put the wheel back on and rolled back and forth a little, it feels like wheel is oval shaped. How bad have I f***ed up? Any ideas on what I have damaged? How can I check? Should I just goto a shop and handover thousands of dollars? Feeling very stupid. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
1) Apply the hand brake firmly.
2) Verify that all wheel nuts on the right front wheel are properly torqued.
3) Shift the transmission into Neutral.
4) Raise the right front wheel. No need for a jackstand because you are not going under the car.
5) Spin the right front wheel by hand.
6) Observe the wheel and tire at the top (12 o'clock position).
If it moves toward you and away from you as it spins you may have a bent hub and a damaged rotor.
If it makes ugly grinding sounds as it spins you may have a bad wheel bearing.
7) Grasp the top of the tire (12 o'clock position) and yank toward yourself and away from yourself. If there is noticeable free play you may have a bad wheel bearing.

I doubt this repair will cost thousands of dollars but it will be several hundred.
Old 10-02-2001, 11:03 PM

Another saftey measure I always take is to slide the wheel you removed under a sturdy part of the car. In the event the car comes crashing down it will only damage your tire and not you or a part of your car. Always use jack stand too!
Old 10-02-2001, 11:34 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

yes Eman does what we always do as well. Whenever we take off the wheel, aside form using a jackstand, or if your not using a jackstand. We put the wheel under the car. Position it so if the car were to fall it would hit the tire and not fall on your suspension. At worse you would pop a tire but better then your brakes or suspension.
Old 10-03-2001, 09:31 AM

Are you sure your mind is not playing tricks on you?

The exact same thing happened to me couple months ago. I brought these chief mechanic of a local shop to my car. He jacked up the car with a huge jack, put back the wheels and said it was fine. He said that he's seen a lot worse, and cars can usually take those kinds of accidents. All I got charged was his standard $30 roadside assistance. I was lucky.
I think your car might be ok too.
Old 10-03-2001, 01:34 PM

Safety

Many years ago, in my youth, I was working on my BMW and was under the car torquing a suspension nut. The car was on a jackstand, but the wheels wern't chocked. As i tightened the nut, the car rolled off the jackstand. I was under the middle of the car and saw what was happening. I quickly rolled out as the car came down. I was almost crushed. Too close. Walked away with just a torn muscle in my chest. Almost made my wife a widow and my son without a dad. Now whenever I go under I chock wheels, and double up on the jackstands. Probably overkill, but the conseqences are alot worse. Don't think it can never happen to you, I used to think that too. Sorry if I am rambling, but it would suck if we got a post about one of our members being crushed.

Peace.
Old 10-04-2001, 04:35 PM

Very Lucky

I took my car to the shop across from my house yesterday. The guy jacked it up and checked the suspension. Put the wheel back on, adjusted tire pressure and drove it around the block. Told me nothing is wrong, might need a front end alignment but its not very bad. I was quite relieved. The guy didn't even charge me, he wouldn't take any money. I guess I lucked out.