4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2001, 09:15 AM
JP73

Loss of power

I wanted to see if anyone has ever had this happen to them. I was low on gas ( I had about a gallon left ) and in a hurry up a steep hill. In third gear around 4,000 rpms the motor seemed to abruptly lose power and quit pulling strong. It did not cut off or over heat so I assume it just didn't get enough gas since there was only a gallon or so left. Am I correct in thinking this? I went and filled up ( 17.5 gallons ) and since then I had to test and see if it would happen again, but it hasn't. I don't think it was the clutch slipping either because it has no slippage in any of the gears. If anyone has an idea on my theory please let me know. Thanks.

Old 10-03-2001, 09:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah, happened to me

It's normal, low fuel, feul pump can't keep the pressure up especially when feul demand is high at high rpms.
Old 10-03-2001, 10:05 AM

Fuel starvation

Originally posted by JP73
I wanted to see if anyone has ever had this happen to them. I was low on gas ( I had about a gallon left ) and in a hurry up a steep hill. In third gear around 4,000 rpms the motor seemed to abruptly lose power and quit pulling strong. It did not cut off or over heat so I assume it just didn't get enough gas since there was only a gallon or so left. Am I correct in thinking this? I went and filled up ( 17.5 gallons ) and since then I had to test and see if it would happen again, but it hasn't. I don't think it was the clutch slipping either because it has no slippage in any of the gears. If anyone has an idea on my theory please let me know. Thanks.
The capacity of your fuel tank is 18.5 gallons. You had this power loss experience with only one gallon of fuel left, forming a shallow pool in the bottom of the tank. When you went up a steep hill gravity shifted that fuel to the rear of the tank. The fuel pump pickup was sucking air. Now you know what the symptom called "fuel starvation" feels like.

The fuel pump is cooled and lubricated by the fuel passing through it. Running dry harms the pump. The damage doesn't always show up right away. However, your run-dry episode was so brief there is probably no damage.