4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Daniel B. M., a question for you if you don't mind...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2001, 07:54 PM
Licensed to Spell

Daniel B. M., a question for you if you don't mind...

Daniel, this isn't a 'my car is spitting out flames from
the a/c vents every time I put it in Reverse' type question but I
hope you don't mind me asking. I have not called upon your nice
and appreciated services before and I thought the first time I did, it
would be more of an emergency type question but you did come to
mind when I thought about asking this question on the org. O.k.,
here's the deal. Please don't call me crazy but I hate the idea
of force-fed air coming in the car. I always have. As far as
I know, Ford is the only system that when it is off, it is off (what
a concept!) - NO air comes in when you drive. I know GM has force-fed air (ever since their lawsuit), I believe Chrysler does too, and as far as I know, so do the European cars. Now for the Japanese cars,
you can kind of 'cheat' and turn on the recirculate button. And that's what I've been doing. However, because I have the Electronic Climate Control, I have to do it every time I get in the car. My question is: can I change it so that the recirc. is on whenever I start the car? The reason you came to mind (aside from your immense knowledge of the Maxima) is this is kind of similar to your cruise control mod. It is slightly different in the sense I would still need to press it to turn it off (where you don't need to ever do that for the cruise) though. So, with all that said, here's what I envision: I start the car and the recirc. is on (little green button lit up). I don't want it on (ex. I'm going to use the economy or AC, etc.), I press it, it goes off. Next time I start the car, it's on... Exactly opposite from how it is now in other words. Is this
possible and, if so, how? Thanks a million, I appreciate your help. What would we do without you?
Old 10-06-2001, 10:56 AM

Re: Daniel B. M., a question for you if you don't mind...

Originally posted by ptatohed
Daniel, this isn't a 'my car is spitting out flames from
the a/c vents every time I put it in Reverse' type question but I
hope you don't mind me asking. I have not called upon your nice
and appreciated services before and I thought the first time I did, it
would be more of an emergency type question but you did come to
mind when I thought about asking this question on the org. O.k.,
here's the deal. Please don't call me crazy but I hate the idea
of force-fed air coming in the car. I always have. As far as
I know, Ford is the only system that when it is off, it is off (what
a concept!) - NO air comes in when you drive. I know GM has force-fed air (ever since their lawsuit), I believe Chrysler does too, and as far as I know, so do the European cars. Now for the Japanese cars,
you can kind of 'cheat' and turn on the recirculate button. And that's what I've been doing. However, because I have the Electronic Climate Control, I have to do it every time I get in the car. My question is: can I change it so that the recirc. is on whenever I start the car? The reason you came to mind (aside from your immense knowledge of the Maxima) is this is kind of similar to your cruise control mod. It is slightly different in the sense I would still need to press it to turn it off (where you don't need to ever do that for the cruise) though. So, with all that said, here's what I envision: I start the car and the recirc. is on (little green button lit up). I don't want it on (ex. I'm going to use the economy or AC, etc.), I press it, it goes off. Next time I start the car, it's on... Exactly opposite from how it is now in other words. Is this
possible and, if so, how? Thanks a million, I appreciate your help. What would we do without you?
The Automatic Climate Control is a sophisticated computer-controlled device. You would have to know the embedded computer code and have the means to reprogram it. I think modifying the computer is a lost cause.

You say you get "force-fed air coming in the car." Force-fed by what? The blower motor? There may be a way to turn off that blower without touching the computer. According to the wiring diagram in the factory service manual there are only two wires leading to the blower motor. I suppose you could cut either wire and install a simple on/off toggle switch. With the switch in the OFF position, there will be no circuit and the blower motor will not run. What I don't know is if this mod would make the computer grumpy. Are you willing to gamble?

Keep in mind that foward motion of the vehicle may allow some outside air into the cabin even if the blower motor is stopped.
Old 10-06-2001, 03:18 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Daniel B. M., a question for you if you don't mind...

Hmmm, what a bummer. I didn't get e-mailed of your reply to my question. I was wondering why you weren't answering! Then when I went to the org., I saw a "1" under replies... Oh well...

Automatic Climate Control is a sophisticated computer-controlled device. You would have to know the embedded computer code and have the means to reprogram it. I think modifying the computer is a lost cause.

**** I hear you. I thought I would try though. If you say it can't be done (or is not worth trying), that's enough for me. Thanks anyway and thanks for the reply.

You say you get "force-fed air coming in the car." Force-fed by what? The blower motor? There may be a way to turn off that blower without touching the computer. According to the wiring diagram in the factory service manual there are only two wires leading to the blower motor. I suppose you could cut either wire and install a simple on/off toggle switch. With the switch in the OFF position, there will be no circuit and the blower motor will not run. What I don't know is if this mod would make the computer grumpy. Are you willing to gamble?

**** I think you aren't understanding me. Maybe I'm misssuing the term force-fed. No, not by a blower. Force fed as in when you are at 0 mph, no air comes in, the faster you go, the more air that comes in. Like I said, all cars but Ford (that I know of) have this. Turn your climate control(s) to the off postion and start driving. You'll feel air coming in (almost always down by your feet). Now turn on the recirc. button, it will stop. The thing is, because you have a manual climate control system, you can leave your recirc. on, I can't with my Electronic Climate Control. Thus my original question. Does that make more sense?

Like I said in my first post, GM used to be like Ford. But then, I beleive in the 80's, they had an incident where exhaust gasses where coming into a car and a whole family died. After that, they installed force-fed air in all their cars. GM's are really obvious. Where ours will just discretely come out the regular climate control vents, GM has seperate little vents just for this purpose. My friends '92 Camaro has them right there by your knee and it is quite strong when you are going fast!

Keep in mind that foward motion of the vehicle may allow some outside air into the cabin even if the blower motor is stopped.

**** Thanks so much for all your help. You are much appreciated. Have a wonderful weekend.

-Josh