4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Can someone help with Check Engine Light and Resetting ECU??

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2001, 09:03 AM

Can someone help with Check Engine Light and Resetting ECU??

I had my fuel filter and accessory belts replaced yesterday at the dealer. I started my car to leave and everything was fine-no check engine light. I got home washed the car, took a shower then started the car to go out-the check engine light appeared. The car seems to driving fine and this is the first time that it has ever appeared.

What do you guys think it could be?
- has to do with dealer changing the fuel filter and belts
- I installed a stillen intake about 2 weeks ago - Do you think the check engine light appeared due to the result of the intake or would it have appeared right after the intial installment?

Can someone help me diagnose my car using the ecu technique and resetting my ecu stated on the sticky? The reference site is not working
http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecu.html

I really hate to mess around with the ecu especially when I don't know what I'm doing.

Sorry for the long post
Your help and guidance is appreciated.
Thanks.....
Old 10-07-2001, 09:07 AM

Re: Can someone help with Check Engine Light and Resetting ECU??

Originally posted by Maximum Pursuit
I had my fuel filter and accessory belts replaced yesterday at the dealer. I started my car to leave and everything was fine-no check engine light. I got home washed the car, took a shower then started the car to go out-the check engine light appeared. The car seems to driving fine and this is the first time that it has ever appeared.

What do you guys think it could be?
- has to do with dealer changing the fuel filter and belts
- I installed a stillen intake about 2 weeks ago - Do you think the check engine light appeared due to the result of the intake or would it have appeared right after the intial installment?

Can someone help me diagnose my car using the ecu technique and resetting my ecu stated on the sticky? The reference site is not working
http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecu.html

I really hate to mess around with the ecu especially when I don't know what I'm doing.

Sorry for the long post
Your help and guidance is appreciated.
Thanks.....
put back your intake, take it to the dealer and blame it on them. they will most likely reset it themselves. it only takes them 2 minutes to do this. Just to be safe, after they reset this, they will tell you if you want what happened. after this is done, put the intake back. good luck.
Old 10-07-2001, 09:57 AM

Re: Re: Can someone help with Check Engine Light and Resetting ECU??

Originally posted by nizmolee

put back your intake, take it to the dealer and blame it on them. they will most likely reset it themselves. it only takes them 2 minutes to do this. Just to be safe, after they reset this, they will tell you if you want what happened. after this is done, put the intake back. good luck.
I don't want to have to wait another week to schedule an appointment. I want to try to resolve this myself instead of having the dealer tackling a hefty charge just to check my ecu.
Old 10-07-2001, 10:29 AM

Re: Can someone help with Check Engine Light and Resetting ECU??

Originally posted by Maximum Pursuit
... Can someone help me diagnose my car using the ecu technique and resetting my ecu stated on the sticky? The reference site is not working
http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecu.html ...
Go to Steve Cutchen's excellent MaxFAQ page:
http://web2.airmail.net/scutchen/max_faq/

Click on SUBTOPICS below Maintenance.
Click on Diagnose the Check Engine Light
Old 10-07-2001, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin

Thanks Daniel...
I'm going to try to diagnose the check engine light by following the print-out instructions on Steve Cutchen's MaxFAQ.

I'm looking at the print-out right now and it's a flow chart with arrows pointing everywhere.

Let me get this straight. I would turn the key to the "on" position and turn the screw clockwise wait 2 secs and the check engine should disappear then turn back counter clockwise. A series of blinking codes will determine my problems.

Do I do follow the same procedure to reset the ecu after getting the code?
Old 10-07-2001, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin

Thanks Daniel...
I'm going to try to diagnose the check engine light by following the print-out instructions on Steve Cutchen's MaxFAQ.

I'm looking at the print-out right now and it's a flow chart with arrows pointing everywhere.

Let me get this straight. I would turn the key to the "on" position and turn the screw clockwise wait 2 secs and the check engine should disappear then turn back counter clockwise. A series of blinking codes will determine my problems.

Do I do follow the same procedure to reset the ecu after getting the code? Is this all done with the key in the "on" position or do I have to start the car in order to reset the ecu?
Old 10-07-2001, 08:55 PM

1.)Turn key to on position, but make sure car is off.
2.)Take screwdriver and insert into screw and turn clockwise as far as it freely turns nd wait at least 2 seconds.
3.)Return to original position.
4.)Watch the 'Check Engine Light', it will start blinking. The long blinks belong in the 10s position, the short ones in the 1s position.
5.)Get all codes.
6.)To reset ECU, turn car off, back to on position, then turn screw clockwise, wait two seconds, then return to original position. Repeat this again immideately, then the check engine light should be on solid. This has reset your ECU.
Old 10-07-2001, 09:05 PM

Thanks Medicsonic....

Originally posted by medicsonic
1.)Turn key to on position, but make sure car is off.
2.)Take screwdriver and insert into screw and turn clockwise as far as it freely turns nd wait at least 2 seconds.
3.)Return to original position.
4.)Watch the 'Check Engine Light', it will start blinking. The long blinks belong in the 10s position, the short ones in the 1s position.
5.)Get all codes.
6.)To reset ECU, turn car off, back to on position, then turn screw clockwise, wait two seconds, then return to original position. Repeat this again immideately, then the check engine light should be on solid. This has reset your ECU.
I think I can manage to diagnose my check engine light. I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow. After I reset the ecu, do I have to start the car and let it idle for a certain amount of time in order for the ecu to resigister my settings?
Old 10-07-2001, 09:37 PM

It goes back to the factory settings the second you start it up. The car doesn't have to idle, though its a good idea.