4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

MAF Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2001, 11:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

MAF Problems

I think I might have a damaged MAF. Here are the problems:
1. Sometimes when I start the car in the morning the car starts up to around 1000 RPM and then drops down to about 400, sounds like its about to die and recovers. Then its fine.
2. I am getting horrible gas mileage. This last tank was all stop and go driving and I do drive fast at times but I don't floor it away from every stop sign. I got 16 MPG. The tank before that was half interstate driving going about 60-75 and the rest city. I got 20 MPG. Do these sound normal?

Well I got a Chiltons manual and just tested the MAF. My Voltometer was not the digital kind shown in the manual but one with a needle that moves like a speedometer. I warmed the car up and then turned the engine off and took a reading. I needle moved about a 1 mm. It wasn't even at the zero line. Then I started the car and got a little less than 1 volt at idle. I revved the engine and it had a linear increase but I don't know what it was at 4000 because I was under the hood. Soooo, do I have a faulty MAF? If so, will Nissan cover it under the extended warranty plan? I am schedule to have the car inspected by them on the 27th with their free inspection month so I might have them test it then. BTW, its a 97 GLE with 50k on it. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2001, 02:46 PM

Re: MAF Problems

Originally posted by WaarrEagle
I think I might have a damaged MAF. Here are the problems:
1. Sometimes when I start the car in the morning the car starts up to around 1000 RPM and then drops down to about 400, sounds like its about to die and recovers. Then its fine.
2. I am getting horrible gas mileage. This last tank was all stop and go driving and I do drive fast at times but I don't floor it away from every stop sign. I got 16 MPG. The tank before that was half interstate driving going about 60-75 and the rest city. I got 20 MPG. Do these sound normal?

Well I got a Chiltons manual and just tested the MAF. My Voltometer was not the digital kind shown in the manual but one with a needle that moves like a speedometer. I warmed the car up and then turned the engine off and took a reading. I needle moved about a 1 mm. It wasn't even at the zero line. Then I started the car and got a little less than 1 volt at idle. I revved the engine and it had a linear increase but I don't know what it was at 4000 because I was under the hood. Soooo, do I have a faulty MAF? If so, will Nissan cover it under the extended warranty plan? I am schedule to have the car inspected by them on the 27th with their free inspection month so I might have them test it then. BTW, its a 97 GLE with 50k on it. Thanks.
It does not really sound like your MAFS is defective. It could be a o2 sensor or something. See what Nissan say's during the inspection.
Old 10-07-2001, 07:39 PM

I guess I will just have to wait. Is there a way to test the O2 sensors? The reason I thought it might be my MAF is that I put an intake on and then changed my fuel filter. I thought I may have damaged it during one of those. How does that gas mileage sound? If either an O2 sensor or the MAF was not functioning properly, wouldn't I get a check engine light?
Old 10-07-2001, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by WaarrEagle
I guess I will just have to wait. Is there a way to test the O2 sensors? The reason I thought it might be my MAF is that I put an intake on and then changed my fuel filter. I thought I may have damaged it during one of those. How does that gas mileage sound? If either an O2 sensor or the MAF was not functioning properly, wouldn't I get a check engine light?
The MAFS rarely will set off a MIL code and a weak o2 sensor will not set of the MIL. Your symptoms don't sound commen of a defective MAFS, I suppose it is still a possibility though. BTW a mechanic has special equipment to test how healthy your o2 sensor{s} are.