4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

best & easiest source to hook up interior lighting device

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2001, 04:12 PM

best & easiest source to hook up interior lighting device

I'm getting some 15" StreetGlow Neon blue tubes...and am planning on placing them inside the car somewhere in the front/middle of car.

the question is...where would be the best place to hook up these lights to. I've asked a similar question before, but people gave me various thoughts which confused me because it wasn't concrete to making my decision.

I'm mostly interested in fiding a place where it will be the safest from blowing a fuse...and least splicing necessary.

thanks guys

Old 10-09-2001, 04:27 PM

Couple suggestions

You can try the cigarette lighter or the fuse box on the driver side under the dash.
Old 10-09-2001, 04:53 PM

Re: Couple suggestions

Originally posted by Ravq
You can try the cigarette lighter or the fuse box on the driver side under the dash.
Ok, well the cigarette lighter is out of the question because i want these tubes to be on only when I turn lights on and not all the time...The fuse box sounds like a good idea...can u elaborate on how to connect to fuse box implicitly?

thanks dude.
Old 10-09-2001, 05:04 PM

Re: Re: Couple suggestions

Originally posted by itsgt

Ok, well the cigarette lighter is out of the question because i want these tubes to be on only when I turn lights on and not all the time...The fuse box sounds like a good idea...can u elaborate on how to connect to fuse box implicitly?

thanks dude.
I meant you can use them as a power source and use a toggle switch to turn them on and off. If you really want to get fancy you can splice them into your power wire for your ignition switch so they come on only when the key is turned to the ACC position. You could also tap into the parking light circuit.

If you are going to use the fuse box you just need to find a fuse that is strong enough and isn't that important and just use it for power to a relay and switch just as you would the cigarette lighter.
Old 10-09-2001, 06:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: Couple suggestions

I meant you can use them as a power source and use a toggle switch to turn them on and off. If you really want to get fancy you can splice them into your power wire for your ignition switch so they come on only when the key is turned to the ACC position. You could also tap into the parking light circuit.

If you are going to use the fuse box you just need to find a fuse that is strong enough and isn't that important and just use it for power to a relay and switch just as you would the cigarette lighter.

ok the tubes don't have a toggle switch so let's ignore the cigarette light splicing.

I'm more interested in the fuse box...
Now most tubes as i know need a 12v source ( such as a cig lighter ) so what do i look for in the fuse box...u said find a fuse that is strong enough...do u mean so that its 12v or higher?

2nd...how do i connect the + wire to the fuse...do i use a fuse that's empty or the one being used?

thanks
Old 10-09-2001, 06:28 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Couple suggestions

ok the tubes don't have a toggle switch so let's ignore the cigarette light splicing.

I'm more interested in the fuse box...
Now most tubes as i know need a 12v source ( such as a cig lighter ) so what do i look for in the fuse box...u said find a fuse that is strong enough...do u mean so that its 12v or higher?

2nd...how do i connect the + wire to the fuse...do i use a fuse that's empty or the one being used?

thanks
A lighted toggle switch would cost you like $2 at Autozone and I think that would be the best way to hook the lights up. As for the fuse box I don't know whether it would be better to use an empty slot or one already used. If it were me I would use one already in use but a fuse that is for an unimportant accessory in case it does burn the fuse out. You can buy little adaptors from radio shack or an audio shop that actually goes into the fuse slot and the fuse is sort of piggyback or plugged into the top of that and the added accessory can be added to that adaptor. It sounds crazy but they are very cheap and easy. Or you can rig it by soldering the wire to one of the prongs of the fuse and then plugging it in.
Old 10-09-2001, 07:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Couple suggestions

A lighted toggle switch would cost you like $2 at Autozone and I think that would be the best way to hook the lights up. As for the fuse box I don't know whether it would be better to use an empty slot or one already used. If it were me I would use one already in use but a fuse that is for an unimportant accessory in case it does burn the fuse out. You can buy little adaptors from radio shack or an audio shop that actually goes into the fuse slot and the fuse is sort of piggyback or plugged into the top of that and the added accessory can be added to that adaptor. It sounds crazy but they are very cheap and easy. Or you can rig it by soldering the wire to one of the prongs of the fuse and then plugging it in.
hmmmm.....I don'g want to go for the toggle switch because i don't really want to open up the dash.....cuz i hooked up my EL pedals to the ash tray lighter and i didn't solder the wires, i just tied them together and put electric tape around them....so they aren't holding too tight therefore opening the dash might rip the wire out and i'd have to retie them..pain in the ***.

I guess i want to use the fuse box because it seems the most simplest and less messy...I'm just curious about the voltage do i have to pick a fuse thats 12v or higher? Also can i just stick the wire into the one of the fuse wholes and then put in the fuse so that it'll hold down the wire......or would it be better to solder it?

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2001, 07:20 PM

I believe they are all 12v but you want to pick one that isn't attached to something important. I'd go with a higher amp fuse like a 20a or 30a. You could just wedge the wire in there but I'd get an adaptor before I did that. Soldering can be a pain but would be better than just wedging it in there.
Old 10-09-2001, 07:34 PM

Go through the fuse box, and use a toggle switch.
Old 10-09-2001, 07:37 PM

I used existing places.

What I mean is I have 2 neons glued to the roof liner. I cut a tiney hole that can never be seen because the neon goes on top of it and ran the wire behind the liner to the dome light in the center. Just twist the positive to the positive terminal, and neg to neg. I took out the bulb first of course. Now everytime the doors are opened the neons turn on, and I have full control using the factory dome light switches. I like it cause the lights are behind me so they don't get in my eyes.

I did similar with the trunk.
Old 10-09-2001, 08:21 PM

I believe they are all 12v but you want to pick one that isn't attached to something important. I'd go with a higher amp fuse like a 20a or 30a. You could just wedge the wire in there but I'd get an adaptor before I did that. Soldering can be a pain but would be better than just wedging it in there.
Fuse amp stregth doesn't mattery....they are all 12v DC.
How would i connect the wire to a spare fuse(a fuse block that doesn't have a fuse for it) what kind of adapter would i have to get and how would i use it?
Old 10-09-2001, 08:23 PM

Fuse amp stregth doesn't mattery....they are all 12v DC.
How would i connect the wire to a spare fuse(a fuse block that doesn't have a fuse for it) what kind of adapter would i have to get and how would i use it?
The kind I'm referring to are simple plug and play. I can't explain it but just go to Radioshack and ask you'd be suprised at what they have to make the job easier.
Old 10-09-2001, 08:29 PM

The kind I'm referring to are simple plug and play. I can't explain it but just go to Radioshack and ask you'd be suprised at what they have to make the job easier.

k ill check it out at radio shack.
and for the ground i just use a big bolt somewhere around the fuse block right? just unscrew the bolt, place wire inbetween bolt and harness..then screw bolt; hence locking the wire in place.?

let me know if it sounds good.
Old 10-09-2001, 08:40 PM

k ill check it out at radio shack.
and for the ground i just use a big bolt somewhere around the fuse block right? just unscrew the bolt, place wire inbetween bolt and harness..then screw bolt; hence locking the wire in place.?

let me know if it sounds good.
Yup there is actually a good screw within plain sight of the fuse box towards the kick panel that you can use. I've used it for some aftermarket lights.
Old 10-09-2001, 08:49 PM

Yup there is actually a good screw within plain sight of the fuse box towards the kick panel that you can use. I've used it for some aftermarket lights.
alright,
thanks dude.
i'll check out radio shack tomorrow, and let you know the progress.
Old 10-09-2001, 08:50 PM

Cool no prob. Post some pics if it works out. I'd like to see those neons.
Old 10-10-2001, 10:17 AM

Cool no prob. Post some pics if it works out. I'd like to see those neons.
hey dude,

I went to a local radio shack and I asked them "do you have a plug and play adapter for the fuse box/block to which you connect a wire to"

he was like "aaaaaaaaaa fuuuuuuuseeeeeeeeplug and what" i was "ok", do you have anything for the fuse box in the car...he's like no.

is he stupid or am i not doing some thing wrong....Can you try to get me an exact name of that adapter of see if u can find it on line for radioshack.com....that'd be a great help

thanks
Old 10-10-2001, 02:17 PM

Ok it looks a female socket for a fuse but allows you to add on another fuse. I don't know the name of it but let me check out radioshack.com to see if I can locate it.
Old 10-10-2001, 02:31 PM

For some reason www.radioshack.com doesn't work. Did you try an audio shop for the fuse adaptor/expander? If not, you could always just solder the wire to the fuse blade and install it.
Old 10-10-2001, 02:31 PM

Ok it looks a female socket for a fuse but allows you to add on another fuse. I don't know the name of it but let me check out radioshack.com to see if I can locate it.
Do you mean it looks like a male socket which u plug into the fuse block, but which has a female piggyback into which u plug in a wire?

sorry im a little confused.
thanks though......hope u find it at radioshack.com
Old 10-10-2001, 02:52 PM

you can wire the lights to lots of wires,i recommend having them come on with the doors, the people at radioshack know jack, so go in there with previous knowledge, i am 17 and in an electronics class and know 10X more than their people
Old 10-10-2001, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by RedMax95
you can wire the lights to lots of wires,i recommend having them come on with the doors, the people at radioshack know jack, so go in there with previous knowledge, i am 17 and in an electronics class and know 10X more than their people
hmmm...I don't know if i want the lights to go on only when i open the doors it would seem like a waste of the lights & money since the Streetglow neons which i got come with a built in transformer...so i can leave them on for hours and hours and won't blow the bulb like cheaper tubes do.

Um...I'm more interested in hooking it up to the fuse box...i think its the best area to do it, cuz i don't want to splice up wires.
Old 10-10-2001, 05:51 PM

For some reason www.radioshack.com doesn't work. Did you try an audio shop for the fuse adaptor/expander? If not, you could always just solder the wire to the fuse blade and install it.
hey...
http://www.radioshack.com/
works fine.....um see if u can find it online there...but also tell me what exactly does the adaptor/expander look like and as i understand it..u plug the adapter into the fuse block slot, and then u lead a wire into the adapter form the other end?

thanks
Old 10-10-2001, 06:17 PM

I couldn't find the adaptors I was referring to but I did manage to find a connector that would work for your install. http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=910%2D1425

It's a blade connector and you could slide it into the fuse panel with the fuse.
Old 10-10-2001, 07:17 PM

I couldn't find the adaptors I was referring to but I did manage to find a connector that would work for your install. http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=910%2D1425

It's a blade connector and you could slide it into the fuse panel with the fuse.
Um...this thing looks weird...t looks like a plastic head with a single blade...how exactly will this blade fit in the fuse slot if the fuses have 2 small blades? And how would I attach the wire to it?

pic:
Old 10-10-2001, 07:47 PM

You would slide the blade connector in along with one of the fuse blades.
Old 10-10-2001, 07:54 PM

You would slide the blade connector in along with one of the fuse blades.
well 1st question to that is...would it hold tight/good?
2nd question is isn't this the same thing as using a fuse slot that already has a fuse and just stick the wire in there?
Old 10-10-2001, 07:57 PM

I have used them in my fuse panel before. Yup same thing as wedging the wire in with the fuse but I would rather have the blade connector in place so that it holds better. It's really just saving you from having to solder.
Old 10-10-2001, 08:11 PM

I have used them in my fuse panel before. Yup same thing as wedging the wire in with the fuse but I would rather have the blade connector in place so that it holds better. It's really just saving you from having to solder.
ok so they do hold better ok....are u sure they are the right size for maxima's fuse slot and wire?

Also do they sell them at the radioshack stores....cuz online it says u can only bUy online.
Old 10-10-2001, 08:22 PM

Well, they come in a variety pack so if you pull out one of your spare fuses you can just compare them when you get them.
Old 10-10-2001, 08:24 PM

Oh and the local one I got mine at has everything. I'm pretty sure you can get them at your local store. Just get the part number from the site and call before you go to be sure they have it in stock.
Old 10-11-2001, 05:20 PM

Oh and the local one I got mine at has everything. I'm pretty sure you can get them at your local store. Just get the part number from the site and call before you go to be sure they have it in stock.
DAmn, I tried a 2nd store and that store had a internet connection and i showed him the exact picture on the web site of radioshack.com...and he looks at it for 10sec then goes like oh u see it says its only purchasable Online......um yea ok.

im running out of quick options!
Old 10-11-2001, 05:43 PM

DAmn, I tried a 2nd store and that store had a internet connection and i showed him the exact picture on the web site of radioshack.com...and he looks at it for 10sec then goes like oh u see it says its only purchasable Online......um yea ok.

im running out of quick options!
Obviously the guys working at your local Radio Shack are idiots. These connectors are not that hard to find. You can either order them from online or pick them up at a hardware store. My local Lowe's has them.
Old 10-11-2001, 05:44 PM

I bet if you went to an car audio shop they have exactly what you need.
Old 10-11-2001, 08:54 PM

I bet if you went to an car audio shop they have exactly what you need.
hmmm...i dont know maybe...i tried explaining to them...that it was a blade that went into the spare fuse slots that held in the wire...

Um but i found some other **** it cost me $12(i didn't open it cuz it seems too much for what i need to spend)...it's called "Add-A-Circuit"...what it basically is , its a fuse thing that goes into a fuse slot and it has a wire coming out of it...and u stick the wire into that wire and just clamp it.

i'm gonna try to find something muuuuch cheaper!

--------im gonna try going to some audio & performance shops tomorrow...what exactly should I tell them when they ask me what part i need cause everyone so far seemed to be confused when i told them.

thanks
Old 10-12-2001, 02:05 AM

Since we are on this topic, I want to get 2 neaon lights and hook them up in the foot wells. Now, how do you guys attatch the wire? drill a hole through the plastic or what?
What do you attatch it to in the passenger foot well?
I want it with a switch so I can control when I want them on and off.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

itsgt > How mush did the lights run you at Streetglow?
Old 10-12-2001, 02:07 AM

if u aint usin duct tape, u aint doin it right. i cant preach this enough...
Old 10-12-2001, 02:11 AM

HAHAHA

Originally posted by black019
if u aint usin duct tape, u aint doin it right. i cant preach this enough...
HAHAHA
true true
the cheapest and most effective way for anything!

Now got an answer for my question above?
Old 10-12-2001, 05:47 AM

Re: HAHAHA

Originally posted by Riot^

HAHAHA
true true
the cheapest and most effective way for anything!

Now got an answer for my question above?
ok.....um

I'm planning on putting these neons most likely in in the back of the floor mats for your feet...in the corner of where the glove compartment goes down and floor mat meets(for passenger side) & where pedals are for driver side. I might just put the lights under the seats too...im not too sure yet.
I plan to run the wires through the dash and into the fuse box...either into a spare fuse slot or one being used already...then ground it to the bolt.

I'm not sure yet how I'm going to put the lights in to hold down there...but duct tape sounds so ugly. I know the streetglows come with some kind of screw holdings on each end so i'll check that possibility out.

at streeglow.com they run for about $31/$32 for 10"/15"...I found them on another site for $25/$28 for 10"/15".
Old 10-12-2001, 06:16 AM

I was asking the same question not too long ago.
I want to hook up my radar detector.
Somebody said replied that they used an existing fuse for the hot lead.
All they did was strip the wire a little and then
put it under just one of the blades of an existing fuse and forced it back into position.
He said it's never come loose on him.
Sounds like the easiest and cheapest solution.
I haven't had the time to do my detector yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Quick Reply: best & easiest source to hook up interior lighting device